Like Tree2Likes

Thread: K.Serkisoff & Co Ottoman Pocket Watch

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

K.Serkisoff & Co Ottoman Pocket Watch

Hi
    I am a collector of Ottoman pocket watches. I recently purchased a K.Serkisoff & Co Constantinople Pocket watch. It has a Billodes mechanism inside. I have been trying to date or approx. date of this watch was made. Although I have been searching for a web site for the serial numbers of this kind of pocket watches. I could not find a trace. All I know the Company Zenith had started watch business as Billodes.

If anybody who is familliar with Serkisoff watches could help me I would be very Happy:thanks.
    The silver case and the dust cover of the pocket watch has the following numbers. 2074296 - 1480

Thank you very much
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by ikarus2007; September 19th, 2008 at 21:32.

Mod. Public/Cafe and MaL Ray MacDonald's Avatar

Re: K.Serkisoff & Co Ottoman Pocket Watch

Just looking at the style of movement I would guess it's from around 1890.
    Hartmut Richter is our Zenith expert and he may know more.
    Thanks for posting.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thank you very much for your reply. My guess was more 1900's. Your guess is much better then mine. you are right it should be around 1890. How can Get in touch with Hartmut Richter? I would like to get his opinion about the my watch.

He'll come by here one of these days and comment. Don't worry.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

What a fascinating watch! I don't recall ever seeing an Ottoman watch in a hunter case (then again it is the railway watches that always attract the collectors, isn't it?)

Please keep us updated in your collecting journey.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I have replied at length to your (identical) thread on the Zenith forum. Many thanks for posting.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...12305#poststop

Hartmut Richter

Just out of curiosity i did a Yahoo search on Biilodes and get a far number of hits. As Ikarus stated, the watch is a Zenith and seems to have been made in the 1870-1890 era.

If someone has a copy of Pritchard's book on Swiss watches more might be found. I won't be in the NAWCC Library until nexr Thursday and if nobody has any more details I'll look up Billodes and Zenith.

Thanks for your help in research, Ron.
    I had a closer look at the case marks and I think I see some English hallmarking there. If I'm correct they would date the case to 1895.

Thank you very much. I am facinated with it too. I am going to attach some photos of my favorite pocket watch which is again a Serkisoff. If anybody has more info regarding that watch I would love to learn.
    Thank you all for your interest.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ikarus2007 View Post
    Thank you very much. I am facinated with it too. I am going to attach some photos of my favorite pocket watch which is again a Serkisoff. If anybody has more info regarding that watch I would love to learn.
    Thank you all for your interest.
    As you are the only Serkisoff enthusiast that I have ever encountered, I wonder if you could tell me what the connection was between Serkisoff and the Turkish National Railways? I've seen Serkisoff railway watches (and of course the Molnija 'Serkisoff' railway replica) so I was wondering if K. Serkisoff & Co were exclusive suppliers to the railways or just one of many?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information