WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Longines - Gold Medal

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  wspohn 
#1 ·
Hello, I'd like to get some information about a men's Longines "Gold Medal" watch. The only I know, according to a clockmaker, it's of the 50's. There's not inscriptions, only "Longines Gold Medal" in the dial and "10k gold filled" and "Use all proof wrench 1125" at the back. I'd like to get some information, year, value, etc. I posted this question for a weeks ago but I couldn't put pics of my watch, but now I have pics. I'm sorry the pics aren't so good, they were taken with a webcam, but you can see how the watch is.

Thanks in advanced,

Cronopio

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
cronopio said:
Hello, I'd like to get some information about a men's Longines "Gold Medal" watch. The only I know, according to a clockmaker, it's of the 50's. There's not inscriptions, only "Longines Gold Medal" in the dial and "10k gold filled" and "Use all proof wrench 1125" at the back. I'd like to get some information, year, value, etc. I posted this question for a weeks ago but I couldn't put pics of my watch, but now I have pics. I'm sorry the pics aren't so good, they were taken with a webcam, but you can see how the watch is.

Thanks in advanced,

Cronopio
Based on the styling I would say its from the 1970s rather than the 1950s. Longines are nice watches but not particularly valuable. I'd guess $300 or so in good running condition and recently serviced.

#3 ·
Looks like a front loader: If your watchmaker had it open, could you get the movement caliber number and serial number of the movement?

That would help determine its age, also would help with determining the "class" of watch/movement and potential value.

Cheers

Matt

#4 ·
Matt V. said:
Looks like a front loader: If your watchmaker had it open, could you get the movement caliber number and serial number of the movement?

That would help determine its age, also would help with determining the "class" of watch/movement and potential value.

Cheers

Matt
Hello, yes, it's a front loader. My watchmaker doesn't have the right wrench to open the watch, so he doesn't dare...The city where I live isn't so big, so I don't have many options...I know I should take the watch to the authorized Longines technical service in my country, but by moment the watch runs really perfect and looks really nice, so I'll take it when I have to go to that city. Anyway, thank you very much. This "Gold Medal" model at least doesn't seem to be so common and as I say, it looks great...

Greetings and best wishes,

Esteban

#5 ·
You don't really need the special tool (usually a sort of one hand clamp that looks like an exerciser) to remove the movement on these - any crystal vice will remove the crystal and once you separate the two part stem (better let a watchmaker do this) the movement comes out and you can send us the movement calibre and serial number. From those we casn tell you a lot more about your watch.

I think it is a late 60s or early 70s model from style, maybe in the 5xx series, but it is hard to tell without numbers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.