Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Marrick
  • 1 Post By howards4th

Thread: Mithras, France

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Marrick's Avatar

Mithras, France

Well, as john87300 is buying up most of the obscure brands of french watches out there - see French Collection reaches 30 - Photos now added - I thought I'd better grab this one:

I can't find anything about the brand, and can't ID the movement. There is a '5' under the balance - but that's all I can see. I have spent all morning getting the hands so that they don't foul each other, so I do not intend taking the dial off to look underneath.

The closest match I have for the movement is a Parrenin 90: bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Parrenin 90 - but its not exact.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Many of my pictures were posted via Webshots which has now closed - and so have disappeared from WUS. Sorry.

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Re: Mithras, France

Lovely watch Marrick, I don't know where you found it but as I didn't it's good you did! I've gone through all my references and naturally there's no mention of Mithras anywhere, so now I've added it to my ever increasing list of unidentified French brand names.

As you doubtless know your watch was made primarily for export, thus the "Made in France" inscription. French makers of that period never felt it necessary to specify a country of origin for their watches if the primary market was France!

As for the movement, I'm certain it's a Parrenin and very closely related to the 90/901 too. Personally I've spent a lot of time trying to positively identify this very movement, as filling my Nappey () is a 17 jewel version, interestingly with incabloc not antichoc protection, and still I'm none the wiser. It's due to be serviced later on this year hopefully, so perhaps then we'll have a better idea.

John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

Cheers Johnny! Yes - exactly the same movement other than the lack of shock protection on mine. I pretty well always buy off ebay - I've found dealers, whether in shops, antique centres or at antique fairs too expensive for my meagre funds.

Many of my pictures were posted via Webshots which has now closed - and so have disappeared from WUS. Sorry.

right thats it you two are band from buying all the french made watches, you both make me sick lol, congrats marrick not on the watch itself but beating john to it lol

Thanks Joe - and its keeping very good time! Name:  isorock.gif
Views: 452
Size:  30.5 KB

The plot thickens

What is the plural of Mithras, Mithrases, Mithri? Anyway, I've found 5 other watches branded Mithras, two have Mithras in a totally different typeface and are marked "Swiss Made", so it seems that there may have been two different Mithras brands, one French and one Swiss, or did the French one relocate over the border? The other three seem to use the same typeface as yours, and two of these, both identical models, one in the UK and one in Poland, are marked "Swiss Made". The other has no country of origin, so is likely to be French.

Last edited by john87300; March 30th, 2012 at 20:22. Reason: inability to type correctly!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Cheers Johnny! Yes - exactly the same movement other than the lack of shock protection on mine. I pretty well always buy off ebay - I've found dealers, whether in shops, antique centres or at antique fairs too expensive for my meagre funds.
    Of the few watches I have and my limited funds, I too find ebay the best source.
    Nice find, She is a beauty.
    Last edited by howards4th; March 30th, 2012 at 21:17.
    Marrick likes this.

Awesome research work! Mithraic Mysteries eh?

Mithraic mysteries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Did you spot this Chrono? Mithras Watches - The Watch Forum - totally different font.

Another possible lead is the 'watertite' on the dial and case. It seems that this was a term used by Bulova Bulova 1954 Watertite | myBulova.com And all the writing is in English. Perhaps, maybe, it was exported to the US and cased up there?

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Awesome research work! Mithraic Mysteries eh?

Mithraic mysteries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Did you spot this Chrono? Mithras Watches - The Watch Forum - totally different font.

Another possible lead is the 'watertite' on the dial and case. It seems that this was a term used by Bulova Bulova 1954 Watertite | myBulova.com And all the writing is in English. Perhaps, maybe, it was exported to the US and cased up there?
    Mithraic mysteries, a load of old bull isn't it?

Yes I spotted the Chrono, that's the exact font of the one of the ones marked "Swiss Made".

I didn't see a US import code on the movement on your Mithras so perhaps it was destined for the UK? Strangely all the Mithra's I've found, bar the one in Poland, have turned up in the UK. Just from the look of the face of your Mithras and with a non shock protected 15 jewel movement personally I'd have put it as being perhaps a little earlier than 1954.
    John

Thread Information