Thread: Need help with 1960's-'70's 14k Gold Wittnauer Geneve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Need help with 1960's-'70's 14k Gold Wittnauer Geneve

I am new here and have not figured out how to insert these photos. Apparantly they are too large in size. If you click on my Flicker photo link below, you will see 5 pictures of this Wittnauer watch. It belonged to my mother..was a gift from my father in the late 60's -70's as I recall. Both parents deceased now but I was interested in the history and value. The case, clasp and band are 14k solid gold. The watch needed to be wound but it is working perfectly (has probably not been wound and used for 20 years). I'm not sure if it has any more value than the weight of the gold only or if there is some collector value. Case and warranty booklet were found with watch.

Any info on this watch would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Patty

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5147810...7606613054877/
    Last edited by pgaydos; August 8th, 2008 at 18:59.

Mod. Public/Cafe and MaL Ray MacDonald's Avatar

Re: Need help with 1960's-'70's 14k Gold Wittnauer Geneve

Thanks for posting and welcome.
    The watch is a classic design and quite frankly could be anywhere from 1960 to 1980 as far as I can see. We have a jewelry expert who might be able to tell you more. So our guess on age would be as good as yours.
    We don't give valuations here. Sorry. Please read our sticky notes for reasons why.
    Having said that I suspect the fact that it's 14K gold would add some intrinsic value. It's not that collectible because womens' vintage watches in general hold less interest than mens' do.
    Wittnauer was a good midrange quality watch in the 1960s. At this pont in time they were affiliated with Longines, although each company had its own watch movements.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks for your quick reply to my question. How would I be able to get in touch with your jewelry expert to determine an approximate value? The watch is very nice but not my style and really too small for my likes. I thought about selling it on Ebay but do not know if I should attach a minimum auction starting price as I know sometimes, if not enough interest or viewers are generated, sellers end up 'giving away' valuable items on Ebay. With gold at its all time high, I agree with you, it may be worth more for its gold content than to a watch collector. I just don't know which avenue to go here. I hate to just keep it in its box for the next 20 years. If someone else could enjoy it or if the intrinsic value is higher...that would give me an idea of what to do with it. Thanks!

Our jewelry expert might help you ID it, but I have to insist that we do not give valuations here. We simply cannot do this with any accuracy, nor do we wish to do anything other than help with identification and appreciation of vintage watches.
    You should be able to get a decent appraisal from a local jeweler since it is in fact a gold watch and the value of the gold should serve as a floor price.
    If it's a family heirloom, why not just find someone else in your family who might like to have it?

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I believe that you are correct and that this watch was from the late 60s to very early 1970s...the marquise shaped dial,the style of script on the dial,and the style of bracelet are indicative of that period.Gold is at 857.00 today and will give the watch above average value...the gold weight will determine ultimately what this watch is worth because this style watch has limited popularity with women right now...manual wind watches are not in demand except with the rare female watch collector or vintage clothing or jewelry collector. An appraisor will assign a value for insurance replacement as a piece of jewelry.If sold as scrap then you will recieve wholesale value for just the gold because the movement has no scrap value.A formal written appraisal will cost any where from $50-$100...an investment that might be considered if the watch is going to be kept because the extra investment wont be recouped if re-sold.

Quote Originally Posted by jewelerman View Post
    ...manual wind watches are not in demand except with the rare female watch collector or vintage clothing or jewelry collector....
    I've sold several of the women in my family on winders by saying they are for special evenings and, once wound, will run only for that wearing.

Hey, it works!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    I've sold several of the women in my family on winders by saying they are for special evenings and, once wound, will run only for that wearing.

Hey, it works!
    LOL. Great approach.

Peace,
    Scott
    I look at my wrist more often to see my Rado than to tell the time.

PS. Watch Those Doorknobs.

If the strap is 14K that is a plus. Some people are allergic and will buy only solid gold. Other wise you cant hardly give away a ladies watch. I have sold a couple in the mall in the last 15 years. Mostly the scrap value of the gold here.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post

Hey, it works!
    Jim, sometimes I think you could sell a snow making machine in Ottawa...in the summer.

Thanks to everyone who responded about my watch. I was very surprised to find out it actually worked after not being worn for 20-30 years or more. I remember my mom wore it a few times to parties or if they went out to a show or something, but she was not a fancy person so for the most part, it stayed in the box all these years. I thought it was broken or needed a battery or something but I thought I would try to wind it and see what happened. I wound it up it started working! It keeps excellent time for about a day. I guess that "17 jewel" movement is pretty decent quality. I tend to agree with the posters here...since the watch is all gold (except the movement), it is "worth it weight in gold" but that is about it. (Hey, I never thought that saying would be so literal). Anyway, I will probablly sell it for the gold and split it wilh my sister. There really is no one in our family that would want the watch anyway. Thanks again all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information