Need help identifying a key-run pocket watch please :)

Thread: Need help identifying a key-run pocket watch please :)

Need help identifying a key-run pocket watch please :)

Hi,

I have this old watch I found at a yard-sale. Was hoping for help identifying and possibly giving a value. Thanks. Inscription says M.J. Tobias

Onto the photos:

Cheers.

Re: Need help identifying a key-run pocket watch please :)

The Tobias family was active in making and selling watches from the 1790s till 1850-1860. They are usually marked Liverpool and were exported in numbers to the US. True Tobias watches have English made movements, but yours has a typical Swiss bar movement with a Swiss side lever escapement from the mid-19th century and is most likely a watch made to capitalize on the good name of Tobias.

Sorry but we can't discuss watch values here, I suggest you do a search on E-bay for similar watches.

Re: Need help identifying a key-run pocket watch please :)

Quote Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
    The Tobias family was active in making and selling watches from the 1790s till 1850-1860. They are usually marked Liverpool and were exported in numbers to the US. True Tobias watches have English made movements, but yours has a typical Swiss bar movement with a Swiss side lever escapement from the mid-19th century and is most likely a watch made to capitalize on the good name of Tobias.

Sorry but we can't discuss watch values here, I suggest you do a search on E-bay for similar watches.
    Thanks a lot Ron. I appreciate the help. Cool to know more about the watch. So it's a bit like an 1800s knock-off huh? Haha, well that's neat as well.

Sorry about the value deal...I guess I got lost in the sea of stickies floating at the top.

Thread Information