New Arrival - Seiko 6139-6005

Thread: New Arrival - Seiko 6139-6005

New Arrival - Seiko 6139-6005

Well I watched eBay for a couple weeks before I found a seller I thought I could trust and the watch that I knew I was interested in.

I purchased this thing on Friday and it just arrived about an hour ago! N
    ew Gloucester, ME to Tacoma, WA over the weekend. That's what I call service! via USPS too.

Case/Case Back: Appears original to my untrained eye. The brushing follows the correct pattern on the top side and the bottom side is what you'd expect from a watch from the 70's. Definitely hasn't been buffed. Case back reads, Stainless Steel 6139-6005 Water Resistant around the outer ring, Seiko in the middle, 161805 Japan J at the bottom. Around the lugs there is wear from what I assume would have been the end links on a bracelet. There is no notch on the case at the crown.

Dial/Hands: Dial has some slight discoloring in areas. There appear to be little black spots on the dial in areas, very hard to see. Seiko Automatic, Water70Resist at 9, above the sub-dial there is a 17 J with a little symbol below it. Between 7 and 8 it says Japan 6139, between 4 and 5 it says -6009T. English/Spanish day. Red hands match color and don't look brand new or painted. Hour/Minutes look original as far as I can tell.

Inner Bezel: This appears to be the only real issue that I can tell. It shows that the watch has clearly been opened at some point. The bezel is missing the luminesent triangle at 12 and there is some scratching on the bezel from 1 to 2. It looks like the faded color was scuffed away and there is some darker color showing. Unfortunately sellers photos didn't show this and I didn't ask for anything better. On looking at them now, I can tell the 12 triangle is missing and should have noticed that. Oh well, I'm still happy with the watch over-all :)

Crystal: Needs to be replaced. There are some nicks on the edge and some deeper scratches that probably will not buff right out.

Outer Bezel: The outer bezel has what I would expect for wear and tear. Some scratches around it here and there but 90% intact.

Overall I am pleased with my purchase. I got what I wanted, albeit with a now glaring flaw but I'll live with it. It adds personality. lol That's what I'll tell myself at least. I'd love some feedback on whether the experts think this is original. I get the feeling it is but I'm quite new at determining such a thing. Any feedback on authenticity and possibly dating it would be appreciated.

It did not come with spring bars so any suggestion on where to buy 19mm spring bars and straps would be appreciated. =/

Here are the hasty photos upon arrival as well as the sellers photo of the movement.

Of course the glare makes it impossible to notice the missing triangle. Trust me, it's gone. I'd take a straight on shot of the dial but it's too dark in the office.

Case back:

Movement: (Sorry for the size, it was small to begin with and Zenfolio blocks originals from public viewing)

Regards,
    Kody
    Alba | Bernhardt | Christopher Ward | Citizen | Deep Blue | Fossil | Maratac | Orient | Sea-Gull | Seiko | Timex | Tissot

Re: New Arrival - Seiko 6139-6005

Gorgeous new acquisition---I'll bet your loving it!!

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Marrick's Avatar

I don't know much about Seikos - but it looks original to me. Spring bars can usually be got from ebay quite readily. An impressive watch.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Many of my pictures were posted via Webshots which has now closed - and so have disappeared from WUS. Sorry.

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by dougcee View Post
    Gorgeous new acquisition---I'll bet your loving it!!
    I'll be loving it when I can actually wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    I don't know much about Seikos - but it looks original to me. Spring bars can usually be got from ebay quite readily. An impressive watch.
    Thanks, I really like it. It's a great size.

I hopped on fleabay and snagged some for $1 with free shipping.

Now I'm looking for bands and trying to decide what I want on there. I'm leaning towards Nato/Zulu but I'd like some leather too probably brown. The 19mm makes it a little irritating though. I've got some 20mm leathers, one fits, one doesn't. I tried out my 20mm Nato and Zulu on it last night and I can get it on them fine and it doesn't look too bad. I'll end up going that route just for the variety in 20mm. 19mm is slim picking on nato/zulu options.

I also need to send it to california for a service. I'm hesitant to wear it at all until I get that done.
    Alba | Bernhardt | Christopher Ward | Citizen | Deep Blue | Fossil | Maratac | Orient | Sea-Gull | Seiko | Timex | Tissot

Quote Originally Posted by theague View Post
    I hopped on fleabay and snagged some for $1 with free shipping.
    Did I read this correctly? You bought this Seiko Automatic Chronograph for one dollar, including shipping?

Bargain of the decade, if you ask me!

Looks all well and good. June 1971 production (first two digits of the serial number are "16"), so it's pretty early. My suggestion would be to find a 20mm Seiko replacement bracelet with a signed clasp. There's a lot of them out there and with a little research, you might be able to get one from the same era as the watch.

Very nice pickup!
    gatorcpa

Quote Originally Posted by gatorcpa View Post
    Did I read this correctly? You bought this Seiko Automatic Chronograph for one dollar, including shipping?

Bargain of the decade, if you ask me!

Looks all well and good. June 1971 production (first two digits of the serial number are "16"), so it's pretty early. My suggestion would be to find a 20mm Seiko replacement bracelet with a signed clasp. There's a lot of them out there and with a little research, you might be able to get one from the same era as the watch.

Very nice pickup!
    gatorcpa
    hahah I WISH I got it for $1. I got the spring bars for $1. ;) The watch, shipped was $88 and change. I think it came from Texas.

Thanks for the date info. As far as the bracelet, I'll probably never wear it on one. Even though most of my watches are on bracelets, I prefer leather or Nato/Zulu. they are just way more comfortable. You never know though, I might want the option once in a while.

You know, I'm having a harder and harder time resisting these old Seikos. I'm still winning at the moment though.

Nice watch, really classic design.

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    You know, I'm having a harder and harder time resisting these old Seikos. I'm still winning at the moment though.

Nice watch, really classic design.
    Thanks a lot Trim.

I browsed and watched eBay for about 2 weeks straight. Almost bid on a number of them but would ultimately talk myself out of it due to questionable authenticity, price etc.. This one finally came to within 2h of the end and was still at $63 so I felt confident I could get it at a low enough price. I didn't really have the money but I wanted it and had been watching for weeks. My resistance finally wore down.

My suggestion is don't look at them or you'll buy one. I think my next vintage will be a 6139-8020. I really like the dial and case on that one. I wont be buying another vintage for a while though (I don't think). I still need to get this one and the Elgin serviced and I've got some other watches higher on the priority list.

Congrats on a cool looking vintage!

Thread Information