Thread: Non magnetic watch Co of America - With pictures

Non magnetic watch Co of America - With pictures

Just wanted to hear if any of you may have some info to add about this watch I just bought. It an Non magnetic watch co of America.
    I know that it should be from 1890 to 1895. it is made with a patent from the founder of the company M.C.A Paillard who wanted to overcome the problem with magnetic damage to watches. He invented a hairspring made of paladium (platinium type) which is non magnetic, together with a (often) escapement or gold balance combined with brass alloy anchor.

I think it is very beatifull and well preserved. Note espeially the 4 - in real sence - outstanding screwen gold chatons and the nice finish in general.

Hope you enjob the pictures, and if you have more info, I would of course be happy to have it.
    The motor is 17 jeweld adjusted

Sorry for the many pictures, it was hard to stop

br
    Best regards
    Hannover_dk

Mod. Public/Cafe and MaL Ray MacDonald's Avatar

Re: Non magnetic watch Co of America - With pictures

Very interesting watch and thanks for posting.
    This one looks to me like a 16S model which was Swiss made. Non-Magnetic also had some models made in the US by Illinois, Elgin and Peoria.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Very interesting watch and thanks for posting.
    This one looks to me like a 16S model which was Swiss made. Non-Magnetic also had some models made in the US by Illinois, Elgin and Peoria.
    You are absolutely right - when reading about the company, I found also that it did produce with US movements, and in cheap cases, you could buy watches from the NMWCA in a price range of 15 $ to 175 in the late 1880th.
    The cheaper being with US movements and the better with - like the one I got - movement from Geneve and and special Paillards patent hairspring and escapement

BUT being a wrist watch man with just two pocket watches (the other a nice 18 K Zenith), I do not know what a 16S model indicates but it must refer to the size in lines probably. Copied from the text from the seller:
    It is a Geneva,Swiss Made version & it was manufactured for the American market.It is a American 16 size,half plate movement,which has Damaskeened nickel plates & bridges with polished steel screws,17 jewels,4 gold chatons,brass alloy pallet fork & escape wheel,but most importantly,it has the Paillards patented Palladium balance & spring,it also has a micro-metric regulator & it has been fully adjusted in 6 positions.This watch has a low serial number of 57114.
    Thanks for your comments - all is appreciated - I also want to know as much as possible about my watches
    br JH
    Best regards
    Hannover_dk

Well lignes and the American system of Lancashire Gauge are slightly different - and they are both unusual ways of measuring diameter. A 16S is between 19 and 20 lignes but very close to 19.
    The first American pocket watches were mostly 18S. Around 1900 the 16S sizes became more popular and by 1920 12S was the fashionable size. Railroad watches did not get smaller than 16S.
    You have a nice Swiss model but actually the US was making watches of just as fine quality if not better at the time. It would be a matter of adjustments and jewel count to decide which watch was better.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; April 14th, 2009 at 23:18.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I have no doubt that american watches of the time were great too - anyway, judging form looking at pictures with the finish, that part looks very good.
    Was the paillard hairspring also used by other USA companies - I know it was sold to other producers - but not if it was sold to American companies
    br
    Best regards
    Hannover_dk

I'm not all that familiar with it, but I think Paillard's patents were for both the balance and hairspring and involved use of precious metals. Pretty expensive technology. I would guess that almost all the watches made using Paillard's patent were quite good ones.
    Waltham had their own patents I know that much.

Thread Information