Old Stock M6, M8 & M9 #11BLAC Bulova Automatic Movements Used in 1972-1975 Bulova Watches

Thread: Old Stock M6, M8 & M9 #11BLAC Bulova Automatic Movements Used in 1972-1975 Bulova Watches

-->
    Banned
    Brokeback Mountain, The Balkans, N. Korea, NY, The Middle East.....all the nice places on earth

Confused Old Stock M6, M8 & M9 #11BLAC Bulova Automatic Movements Used in 1972-1975 Bulova Watches

Greetings,
    I have a question regarding the movement of my Bulova watch. The back bezel on my watch says M6 on it. That means that the movement was made in 1966. This particular watch has the 11BLAC Swiss automatic movement inside it.
    But this particular style model watch was produced "only" between 1972 and 1974 or 1975. Did Bulova have a lot of old stock build-up of M6 Swiss movements that were manufactured in 1966 that they used in the watches like the one that I own that was built between 1972 to 1975? I am pretty sure that this particular Bulova that I own was made in the early 1970's up until the mid 70's sometime. My dad purchased this same exact style model watch brand new back in 1973. Bulova did not have this same particular style model case during the 1960's. The styling on the one that Bulova manufactured thruout the 1960's had a different watch case and some, but not all of the watches had different style luminous hands. That's how I know this that Bulova didn't produce the same exact style watch model during the 1960's that they made during the early and mid 1970's.

Does anybody know the exact year that Bulova started production of this particular style model during the early 1970's and when Bulova discontinued this particular style model? Here's a link with an exact picture of what the watch looks like:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Did Bulova have lots of leftover M6 Swiss movements that were manufactured back in 1966 which were in "old stock" which they used in the 1972 to 1975 automatic model watches just like the one that I currently own? What do you think?

I also own 2 other Bulova automatics that are the exact same style model just like the one that I describe above which has the M6 automatic movement in it. The other 2 Bulovas which I am referring about have the same exact movement (11BLAC Swiss automatic movement) inside them just like the watch that I described above. But on the back bezel of the other 2 Bulova watches, an M8 and M9 are engraved on the back bezel on each consecutive watch. If this particular style model watch was only produced between 1972 to 1975, would Bulova have already had the M8 and M9 movement in their old stock from 1968 and 1969 and would they have taken it out of their old stock to put it inside the newer style watch that they produced between 1972 to 1975? What do you think?

Re: Old Stock M6, M8 & M9 #11BLAC Bulova Automatic Movements Used in 1972-1975 Bulova Watc

Is it the caseback that is inscribed "M6" or the movement? I see a date code on the movement right above the word "adjusted" but can't read it. Is there a date code on the caseback? Many Bulova's have date codes on both, and they are usually within a year or two of being the same.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Banned
    Brokeback Mountain, The Balkans, N. Korea, NY, The Middle East.....all the nice places on earth

Re: Old Stock M6, M8 & M9 #11BLAC Bulova Automatic Movements Used in 1972-1975 Bulova Watc

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Is it the caseback that is inscribed "M6" or the movement? I see a date code on the movement right above the word "adjusted" but can't read it. Is there a date code on the caseback? Many Bulova's have date codes on both, and they are usually within a year or two of being the same.
    The caseback on each of the 3 Bulovas is inscribed with either M6, M8 and M9. If I remember well, I also think that there is a serial number on the caseback of each watch too. I haven't opened up any of the 3 watches, so I don't know whether or not the movement has a date code on it. All 3 Bulovas that I'm referring to here are all currently at my watchmaker for service.

Quote Originally Posted by dimitribouras View Post
    The caseback on each of the 3 Bulovas is inscribed with either M6, M8 and M9. If I remember well, I also think that there is a serial number on the caseback of each watch too. I haven't opened up any of the 3 watches, so I don't know whether or not the movement has a date code on it. All 3 Bulovas that I'm referring to here are all currently at my watchmaker for service.
    To avoid speculation about what you have, I suggest you wait until you receive the three watches back from the watchmaker, take good photos of the dials, casebacks, and movements of each one, and then post them here. It will be much easier for forum members to help you determine what you have.
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Hi ladies,

don't understand the problem: Cases and movements got their date code,
    when manufactured, and nothing else these date codes tell.

If material flow was controlled well, both, movement and case, have the
    same date code or maximum a difference of one year. But for low volume
    models it could happen that one or the other component was longer on stock.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi ladies,
    I always enjoy your posts

Thread Information