Thread: Omega olympic split sec. chrono watch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Omega olympic split sec. chrono watch

Really appreciate all info about this. Large 70mm
    20 jewel, fast train for 1/10 sec resolution. Maybe for 1948 olympics. Marked
    169 on dial. Recently produced gold cased versions selling $65,000. Assume
    this one not originally for commercial sale. Like to know age, quantity made, made only for olympics and other Omega events? Collector interest
    level enough to be valuable? gold cased expensive model photo added.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by artb; November 15th, 2009 at 16:32. Reason: correct size, info and photos

Re: Omega olympic split sec. chrono watch

Original reason for joining was this request. Learned that this timer was designed by Lemania for 1932 New York Olympics making this first for 1/10
    second resolution timing because of this watch. Very little info available from Biel museum acquired by Mgr, of Vancouver Omega boutique. Confirmed this 169 one for 1952 Helsinki Olympics. In museum they have one of the latest made numbered 262 on dial. Christie auction sold 2008 a unique special ordered 1966 by King of Siam. 18k case, 32 diamond dial, same movement but with 7 digit nonserial number rather than normal 8 digit. May be made by Lemania? Note no Omega mark on dial. Sold for bargain $8000. I think worth more than one of the later 300 gold ones that have sold for near $100,000 each. Identical movement photo of commercial one near same age also with 7 digit number. Still hoping someone has good historical and general information available about these. Some craftsman get a commercial movement and made case for the King? The Prince liked horses and cars. His father thought he could use a good timer I guess.
    Last edited by artb; March 18th, 2010 at 15:35. Reason: add

Not in my general league. I like collecting technologies. Getting a representative example of a movement allows me to avoid the costs associated with getting specific examples.

But, if I win the Lotto, I might change my collecting
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I agree about technology interest and also craft quality. Fortunately there are a bunch of buyers world wide (not me) paying new car and house prices fueling superb work on complicated new stuff, and keeping the Rolex and Patek dealers and auction houses busy. This wretched excess does trickle down a little. So that I can risk a little investment in something I like that has some assurance of a buyer being available. Of course the investment needs to be reasonable. The 1930+ waterproof Mido Multifort and old Rolex were equivalent. So when I get a good old Mido today for practically nothing I appreciate it more because of its equivalence to the old Rolex in most everything except its inflated price by affluent buyers.

Today saw 2007 auction listing of another Olympic pocketwatch special. It was one of 50 made in 1995 with platinum case with conventional movement. It also had a 7 digit out of sequence serial number. Sold for $17,000. At same auction a set of 3 with different gold case colors and the polished movement parts of the 300 made in 2006 went for $316,000. Have not yet seen a sale for the standard Olympic games working model.

Finally found past auction results on the briefly made commercial Olympic 1932 pocketwatch. A group of 6 from the original Swiss owner bought 1956, went for $15000. for all. $2500. cheapest seen so far. Same auction sold rare skeleton version for $15000. Have only the actual Olympic games model made for games use left to find a sale record for.
    Last edited by artb; April 4th, 2010 at 14:23. Reason: add

Another commercial version with out of sequence 7 digit serial number is for sale I may buy. Old 1932 Olympic style but not made for the games. Has refined dial. I am guessing Omega timers have different serial number system since I see more common stop watches with similar numbers. Seems like a large variety of the Olympic 1932 style were made but in very small quantities. Now on ebay is a gold one available for a bargain $79,000.

I never realized the 'timer market' was as rich as your examples. Thanks for posting!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I expect you realize I only owned one of these and just bought the cheapest one shown here to make 2 of the cheapest. This 2nd one was an unnoticed ebay bargain from a good foreign trader. I was sole bidder and reserve was very low. Shows that rare good stuff can be too rare to be valuable. The 2006 gold specials had a lot of promotion by Omega, which obviously paid off.
    Best example of timer market is http://vintagestopwatch.blogspot.com/ my new old one is shown there with a fine variety of others.
    Last edited by artb; April 11th, 2010 at 20:49. Reason: add

Finally got what i was looking for. Very accomodating seller of
    preceding posted the Olympic for me in a stopwatch forum. It is confirmed as a really rare actual Olympic watch unusual with the usual Omega watch serial number and another major collector says it is the Holy Graal (Grail) for collectors.
    Been a long process to verify its uniqueness but have disclosed that Omega made many different cases for this 1932 Lemania design but very few of any of them and the real Olympics did not normally get out to the public.
    Last edited by artb; April 13th, 2010 at 10:59. Reason: remove reference

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information