Proper Way to Wear a Pocket Watch?

Thread: Proper Way to Wear a Pocket Watch?

Proper Way to Wear a Pocket Watch?

I was wondering what is the protocol for wearing a pocket watch? I am 32 but LOVE anything vintage. Since I am new to watches I would love to pull off some vintage flare and sport a pocket watch.

Two problems though, one is I have no clue how to correctly wear a pocket watch. The other issue is I dress very informally. I never wear suits and only "dress up" when going to church. So considering that could I even pull a pocket watch off with casual attire? And if anyone could post pics of how to properly wear a pocket watch that would help greatly.

Kind regards,
    Nathan

Re: Proper Way to Wear a Pocket Watch?

A lot of people wear a pocket watch with jeans, it goes in the fob pocket (yes, it was designed for pocket watches, not coins) and you hang the chain to a belt loop or a pocket clip (my preference).

The only other way is a vest - and thats not casual.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by natron20 View Post
    I was wondering what is the protocol for wearing a pocket watch? I am 32 but LOVE anything vintage. Since I am new to watches I would love to pull off some vintage flare and sport a pocket watch.

Two problems though, one is I have no clue how to correctly wear a pocket watch. The other issue is I dress very informally. I never wear suits and only "dress up" when going to church. So considering that could I even pull a pocket watch off with casual attire? And if anyone could post pics of how to properly wear a pocket watch that would help greatly.

Kind regards,
    Nathan
    We had this one before. If you do a search, you will probably find the thread. Meanwhile, I would answer that there are basically two ways (even these days) and either requires some sort of a chain to secure the thing. You might get away with something stringy rather than metal but ultimately, a real chain looks best. The chain should suit the watch, i.e. silver chain for silver watch or gold chain for gold watch.

I always wear my pocket watches in my waistcoat. I am more of a dressy sort of person (you won't find any jeans in my wardrobe, never mind how hard you look - I don't really get changed even when I do the gardening!) so I wear the thing in a waistcoat. If you have a single bow watch chain (i.e. the buttonhole attachment is at the end, not in the middle), you can leave the waistcoat open, this will, however, result in a certain swinging around of the watch with the possibility of it banging on something.

The alternative is to keep it in the trouser pocket. Normally, this should be done in a special watch pocket opening up at the top, not the side. This is the way my old professor wore his (modern quartz) pocket watch. Some jeans have them on the right side and you may find them in other trousers as well.

Hartmut Richter

Hartmut, I think you're referring to the thread that I created, about how to wear a pocket watch. It's around here SOMEWHERE!!

I wear a pocket watch every day. I hate wristwatches. I just don't like them. I haven't worn a wristwatch in nearly three years. If I don't have a watch-chain on me SOMEWHERE, it means I don't have the time with me. Anyway...there are two acceptable ways to wear a pocket watch, and here I'll show photos of myself demonstrating each one...

The first is with a waistcoat, like that. To do this, you will need a Double Albert chain (seen there) or a Single Albert chain (see further down). They come with a T-bar at the end, which you tuck through a buttonhole on your waistcoat and then button over to keep in place.

Or, you wear it like this:

*MOST* trousers and jeans will come with a fifth, watch-pocket in the corner which you can put your pocket watch into. You slot the watch in there and then, using a ring-clip chain, clip it to your belt-loop. For a size-reference, the watch in that pocket is my 16-size railroad watch, seen here (below). For size reference, the vest-pocket fountain pen on the other end of the chain is 3 & 3/4 inches long.

There are other, less conventional ways of wearing a pocket-watch which I could tell you about, if neither of these is practical.

Another photo with me wearing a pair of trousers with a watch-pocket:

Or you could do it with a simple Albert chain, like this...

And Trim, why would wearing a pocket-watch with a waistcoat be "not casual"?
    Last edited by Shangas; December 20th, 2010 at 00:26.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    ...And Trim, why would wearing a pocket-watch with a waistcoat be "not casual"?
    I think you really know the answer to that one

I have worn a suit or something resembling a suit once in my life - 16 years ago when I got married. In my opinion anything that needs ironed, or a component of it (shirt) ironed is not casual Fortunately being casually dressed is not an impediment to my career

Nice photos Shangas

I'm with you about wanting a "cool" way to wear a pocket watch while wearing Levis and such. This is what's under MY Christmas tree:

I got the idea after leafing through a catalog from Duluth Trading Co., which offers this one:

Pretty cool, huh?
    Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

Thanks so much for all the advice and information! And it's nice to have some pictures to make it all tangible.

You're welcome. Glad we could help. If you have any other questions about pocket watches, feel free to ask.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

If I could wear a pocket watch with sweats, I would. I often wear khaki pants, and I find they are perfect for pocket watches. I also will wear a pocket watch with jeans, which I wear occasionally, as described above. Actually, I sometimes find that slipping the watch in my back pocket is even more comfortable and ergonomic. I go "front loop/back pocket" about half the time. A smaller watch, such as a 12s or 14s, is perfect for back-pocketing.
    Last edited by gt1969; December 21st, 2010 at 02:56. Reason: typo

I would never place a pocket watch (unless it was a very cheap one) in my back pocket. Crushing a pocket watch should never be seen as a motivation for weight-loss!!

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thread Information