Thread: To repair or not to repair... that is the question? Sicura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To repair or not to repair... that is the question? Sicura

Hi all,

To start, not sure if this counts as 'Vintage' as Im not sure of the age? Im guessing maybe early 80s?

What arrived today in a job lot is a Automatic 158 (bfg) Sicura watch. The condition of the case is really good. The crystal has some light scratches (pics make them look worse) which I can clean up.

Whilst writing this, the watch is sat on my laptop ticking away and keeping time. I have only had it a day, and the running of the watch seems sporadic. To start the watch would only run for a few seconds, once I got it running for more than a few seconds, I had to leave it flat on my desk, as movement seemed to stop the watch. It seems slightly better today.... I assume the watch only needs a service? But, I am likely to sell the watch on. In which case the cost of a service probably costs more than the watch!!??

What to do?

Thanks for looking!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Re: To repair or not to repair... that is the question? Sicura

Some Sicuras go for peanuts, and some seem to make a fair bit of money......I've no idea where yours falls, but if you can find a local watchmaker who can perform a 'value' service on it to get it running properly, I'd say that it would be worth doing, as everything else about it seems good!!

Well,

The watch only cost me 9 thus far... so I think a 'value' service would be great... its just finding a local watchmaker to perform such a service!

Likewise... I dont know where mine sits in the Sicura spectrum!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    Well,

The watch only cost me 9 thus far... so I think a 'value' service would be great... its just finding a local watchmaker to perform such a service!

Likewise... I dont know where mine sits in the Sicura spectrum!

Whereabouts in the UK are you??

You're probably best to just leave it be (don't wind it, 'cause that'll kill it) and sell it "unserviced"; then whoever buys it can get it serviced as they like. If you do get it serviced, keep the receipt and include it when you sell it, so that the buyer knows that it was actually serviced (and properly).
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    You're probably best to just leave it be (don't wind it, 'cause that'll kill it) and sell it "unserviced"; then whoever buys it can get it serviced as they like. If you do get it serviced, keep the receipt and include it when you sell it, so that the buyer knows that it was actually serviced (and properly).
    If you are flipping, this is the most prudent approach. I'm too much a fan of these neglected souls and would have it serviced just so I happily could wear it for a while. Movement looks clean.
    "My grail showed up today"

What's on your wrist today? dailywristshot.com

i would sell it to me for 12, nice looking watch

Not sure what is meant by a 'value service' unless it means finding a 'kitchen sink'
    tinkerer who'll service it for a fiver.

When I was young, long before the quartz revolution, every town had watchmakers
    charging standardised prices for servicing a watch and these professionals were undercut
    by the 'kitchen sink' tinkerer who got most of the trade for the cheaper end watches.

So called 'value services' were never a problem to obtain as it seemed every area within
    walking distance of your house would have one or more people who could service your
    watch.
    In my street it was an old granny who also sold vinegar and cigarettes from her doorstep,
    I was sent to her door countless times and observed her working on watches on many
    occasions.
    True to form, she sat at the draining board of the Belfast sink (good working height)
    with her whole work station a simple tray and the minimum of tools. This old girl kept
    a myriad of watches working, had a continuous trade and charged pin money.....
    those were the days.

Sparcster,

It's the Breitling connection that pushed some Sicura prices up: actually what we know as the Breitling company is really Sicura: when Breitling went under, Sicura bought the goodwill of the company and then took the Breitling name.

Judging by the pictures, it seems like a decent quality watch which can indeed be enjoyed, but I have a nagging feeling that it was built to a price: the Sicura name was marked on the space on the dial where it would normally be punched out for a day display; several watches have been discussed here at WUS showing this characteristic as well.

To fix or not to fix: that's a question only you can answer! But then I have bought plenty of basket cases and my watchmaker managed to revive most of them; it's great to have a sympathetic watchmaker who charges peanuts

It's a Baumgartner

The movement appears to be a pin lever with a possibly unjewelled escape wheel. It has at least one mangled screw slot. This is one of the very worst signs of an ill-fated mechanical intervention. Perhaps one of the best BFG's - but that isn't saying very much. The Sic's are generally a fun brand but this one has an fairly unremarkable dial and case. I personally love the backs, including this one. There should be a relatively decent supply of used parts for this movement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information