Thread: Rodana Chronograph

Rodana Chronograph

I found this gem in Switzerland... maybe this is the first time it has been out of the country? It is a Rodana Landeron 48 based chronograph.

Rodana is a Swiss encaser founded in the 1930s. At one point they changed their name to Rodania 'due to legal reasons' according to one web entry. The company still exists and still has an active market in Canada and western Europe.

This is a chronograph which the seller claimed was from the 1940s. There is no way to confirm the date. Landeron 48s were made from 1937 to 1970. The dial, while in fairly good shape, looks old enough. But the back may have been replaced. If it hasn't been replaced, the watch has lead a fairly quiet life. The lack of shock protection does lend credence to a 1940s date for the watch as a whole.

I loved it's look and the price was an amazing steal... well less than 200 euros. So I had to get it. It works. I haven't timed it yet but it looks good so far.

We'll see if it looks like it needs service after I get it on the timing machine. I hope not as no one will COA an old chronograph for the same price as a 17 jeweled winder! And my watchmaker says parts will be "difficult". Service will double it's price...

Enjoy!

Last edited by Eeeb; October 30th, 2008 at 02:56. Reason: Rodania not Rodina
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Re: Rodana Chronograph

Nice chronograph. I have a couple vintage cronographs one of them is in the shop when I get it back I will post some photo' of them and I can get some more info on them.

Oh, woow. Nice

Hope to hear how the timming works out.

Thanks for showing

Cheers
    Vegard_dino

Well, I timed it out. It is not out of beat and has reasonable amplitude. It's not dirty (if I am reading the scope right). But it does have a great deal of positional variation ... going from +90 to -90 spd.

I put a new band on it (I can only wear 'longs') and am wearing it... we'll see if it all averages out ... But my watchmaker will be offered the chance to work on a Landeron 48... we'll see if he takes the offer

You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Marrick's Avatar

That is a very nice watch. Everyone should have a landeron 48!

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Many of my pictures were posted via Webshots which has now closed - and so have disappeared from WUS. Sorry.

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    That is a very nice watch. Everyone should have a landeron 48!
    And everyone CAN! Dr. Ranfft reports they made 3.5 million between 1937 and 1970... amazing...

"The days of the digital watch are numbered." - Tom Stoppard
    The days on my digital watch use letters??!?!?!??

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Marrick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    The days on my digital watch use letters??!?!?!??
    I can't think of a witty reply.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Many of my pictures were posted via Webshots which has now closed - and so have disappeared from WUS. Sorry.

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thread Information