Sovereign watch.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Janet Smith

Thread: Sovereign watch.

-->

Sovereign watch.

Hey to all. I had a watch in my drawer that my father gave me years ago, probably around 1963. It's a Sovereign, shock resistant, "waterproof" like they used to say back in the day on the dial. There is like a shield over the Sovereign name with a crown over it also. The case is a gold colored plating of some type and the plate on the back is aluminum that is engraved on it. This watch is over 45 years old, I wound it up to see what kind of time it keeps. I would imagine it is a fairly cheap watch for the day and wondering if it would even pay to have a repair shop open it up and clean and oil it. Any thoughts about it. I've never had it done to any of my current watches yet, in general does anyone know a base line price for something like that? Thanks Mike

Re: Sovereign watch.

Why haven't you serviced your current watches?

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Moved to the more suitable forum. Pics (front/back/movement) would be a great help to determine what you' ve got.......
    Kind regards
    Mike

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Marrick's Avatar

Hard to say without pictures, but it sounds rather basic. If you're in the UK a service would cost a minimum of 30 - but they could find other problems. From an economic viewpoint, not worth it. But if you like it, and it was your dad's, why not?
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Many of my pictures were posted via Webshots which has now closed - and so have disappeared from WUS. Sorry.

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by mmcb250 View Post
    Hey to all. I had a watch in my drawer that my father gave me years ago, probably around 1963. It's a Sovereign, shock resistant, "waterproof" like they used to say back in the day on the dial. There is like a shield over the Sovereign name with a crown over it also. The case is a gold colored plating of some type and the plate on the back is aluminum that is engraved on it. This watch is over 45 years old, I wound it up to see what kind of time it keeps.
    I found this:
    In the 1960s Benrus introduced 2 lower lines of watches -the Belforte and the Sovereign. While most of the Belforte watches had the same movements as the regular Benrus line, the Sovereign seemed to always have lower quality movements.

That being said, one of mine has a 17J AS1002 and another has a 17 Jewel Qualco 11E (which is a Seiko Champion movement) which has a double balance bridge which was a very advanced design back then (in '60s) (many modern watches, like Rolex, have adopted this idea in their movements). Not that those are super-high quality movements, but they're definitely not low quality either.

I would imagine it is a fairly cheap watch for the day and wondering if it would even pay to have a repair shop open it up and clean and oil it.
    I've never had any of my watches pay for anythng :)

in general does anyone know a base line price for something like that? Thanks Mike

There was a poll on one of the watch forums about a while ago and it seems that most people in North America pay about $100USD for a normal, full service. Some people pay more, some people pay less.

Thanks all for your help. I didn't post pics, have simple digital cameras, not great on the macro or zoom to do close ups. From what I've read here it would probably cost a bit to have it serviced. Tight these days so if it runs decently I'll just replace the band and use it. The old leather strap almost fell off. So far about -36secs. Not bad I guess since it sat in a drawer for so long. I haven't serviced the watches I've collected so far, just started getting into the watch thing last Dec. All of mine, except the Sovereign, are just a few months old. Thanks Mike

In 1968 my dad gave me a sovereign gold colored watch that hung from a gold chain. The watch is about an inch in diameter and is shaped like a little alarm clock with the bell on top. I came across is 10 yrs ago and it did not work so I took it to the jewelers and had it fixed for a small amount of money. I am now looking for another gold chain to put it on as the original was lost in my childhood and after 10 yrs it still works. It was well worth the $30 I spent on the repair. What's going to cost the most will be the gold chain, but the memory of this watch and my dad who is now deceased....will be well worth it!
    eri231 and HOROLOGIST007 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet Smith View Post
    In 1968 my dad gave me a sovereign gold colored watch that hung from a gold chain. The watch is about an inch in diameter and is shaped like a little alarm clock with the bell on top. I came across is 10 yrs ago and it did not work so I took it to the jewelers and had it fixed for a small amount of money. I am now looking for another gold chain to put it on as the original was lost in my childhood and after 10 yrs it still works. It was well worth the $30 I spent on the repair. What's going to cost the most will be the gold chain, but the memory of this watch and my dad who is now deceased....will be well worth it!
    Welcome Janet Smith

Nicely put.
    Thanks for posting
    Adam (bow)
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thread Information