Speaking of Lanco, here's one you'll probably never see elsewhere:
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Eeeb
  • 1 Post By Billyloves2boogie

Thread: Speaking of Lanco, here's one you'll probably never see elsewhere:

Speaking of Lanco, here's one you'll probably never see elsewhere:

I've had this Lanco Diametronic as part of my collection for a while. Very heavy, very large, very 1970s, but in an understated way:

The movement is an ESA. I've never seen another.
    "Civilization gets what it wants, is willing to pay for, and ultimately deserves".

Re: Speaking of Lanco, here's one you'll probably never see elsewhere:

Looks very nice!

Condition to the chrome(?) finish also looks nice and clean.... If you google Lanco Diametronic... there are others out there!!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    Looks very nice!

Condition to the chrome(?) finish also looks nice and clean.... If you google Lanco Diametronic... there are others out there!!
    Solid stainless steel. I've just given it a google. 7 results. Not very many at all.
    "Civilization gets what it wants, is willing to pay for, and ultimately deserves".

Neat watch. The movement alone measures a little over 29mm!
    Follow the Tour. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by JL Smout View Post
    Solid stainless steel. I've just given it a google. 7 results. Not very many at all.
    Granted... there are not many LANCO diamtronics...

movement looks like:

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: ETA-ESA 9158

Searching for esa 9158 movement (images) will give you alot more to look at!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Marrick's Avatar

Never heard of it. Nice one.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one. Hidden Content

You guys just aren't into electric watch movements if you have not heard of this one. ESA perfected these in the late 60's and made the series until about 1980. It was the Swiss answer to the Hamilton 500 series of electric movements and was so good even Hamilton switched to encasing them. If I remember correctly they even made a quartz controlled one as the final in the series. But then the quartz<>stepper motor movements came to dominate analog dial watches.
    Gusten likes this.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    You guys just aren't into electric watch movements if you have not heard of this one. ESA perfected these in the late 60's and made the series until about 1980. It was the Swiss answer to the Hamilton 500 series of electric movements and was so good even Hamilton switched to encasing them. If I remember correctly they even made a quartz controlled one as the final in the series. But then the quartz<>stepper motor movements came to dominate analog dial watches.
    I don't mean the movement, I mean the actual watch itself. I've never seen another Lanco Diametronic, but I have seen other electronic ESA powered watches.

Just picked up one of these myself. I had the silver dialled version before but due to a problem with the day wheel not changing independently i let it go. Of all the watches i have owned, irrespective of price this was the one that always drew the most comments so when i found this lovely blue sunburst dial NOS 1971 Diametronic i had to have it. An unusual retro Swiss watch from Lanco whowere part of the Tissot group before being taken over by Omega in the late sixties then ceasing production in the early seventies. It features a rare and early electronic ESA 9158 Cal movement. Not to beconfused with a quartz watch because there is no quartz crystal inhere. It uses an electro magnet to swing the balance wheel and fromthere on is just like a mechanical watch but with just a differentpower source. The dial isstunning in electric blue, It is covered with anacrylic crystal. The watch case is all stainless case with a brushedfinish. The original strap has long since deteriorated so I havefitted a new leather one until the mesh i have ordered from Vollmer arrives to give it that period correct look i'm after. It's keeping excellent time as these electronics did, not as good as modern quartz but not far off.
    Measures, Lugto lug 45mm, side to side ( without crown ) 39mm, thickness(crystal to back cover) 12mm.

Similar shaped period case on mesh
    texasgunrunner likes this.

Nice! These Electric and Electronic watches form the 60's and 70's are very cool!

Thread Information