Thread: Thoughts about Ogival watches

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thoughts about Ogival watches

There's little information about Ogival watches on the internet and even less about specific models. I picked one up (NOS) a few months ago because I liked the dial color and the case shape (reminded me of the Rado Diastar).

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts about this watch or other Ogivals?

Here's mine:

I like the watch, but things are not all positive: it scratches/dings pretty easily and needs an overhaul. All things considered though, I like it.
    Cheers,
    --Rob

Inactive

Re: Thoughts about Ogival watches

the case design lends itself to damage pretty easily. you should post this in the vintage forum. I can move this if you like.

Sure. In hindsight, that definitely seems like the right place. My bad!

Your point about the case design is right on. It sure does look nice when fully polished though!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Biggie_Robs; April 26th, 2008 at 06:45.
    Cheers,
    --Rob

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Marrick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie_Robs View Post
    Sure. In hindsight, that definitely seems like the right place. My bad!

Your point about the case design is right on. It sure does look nice when fully polished though!

Thanks!
    Super watch. What's with the 5 between the day and the date? Is that the month? If so, you're a month out BTW.

Anyway, I like Ogivals. I got my first one recently. The case is in very good condition and it has an ETA 2401 movement - running fine.

Although the case is an original Ogival (the fully marked back is too shiny for me to photograoh) the movement ring isn't right and the movement was a tad loose. A piece of plastc covered wire from the gardening shed has sorted that nicely. It also has the wrong hands, which should be gilded - but the size is unusual and I haven't got any to fit it (yet).

Some history on their (or their successors) website:

http://www.ogival-watches.com/og_en/index_en.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Regarding the 5, it's just a part of the day not a separate feature, i.e.,

1=Monday
    2=Tuesday
    3=Wednesday
    4=Thursday
    5=Friday
    6=Saturday
    7=Sunday

Thanks for the link! I like this line: "Ogival designates the deepest love and forever passion for young or elder couples." That's a neat watch you have. What does Trisonic mean?

My watch is running about two minutes fast and I've been quoted a little under $300 for an overhaul. Does it hurt the movement to wear it every now and then before I get it overhauled?

Like JimH said, the five is the day of the week. I have an old Rado with the same "feature".
    Cheers,
    --Rob

Thanks for the link! I like this line: "Ogival designates the deepest love and forever passion for young or elder couples." That's a neat watch you have. What does Trisonic mean?

My watch is running about two minutes fast and I've been quoted a little under $300 for an overhaul. Does it hurt the movement to wear it every now and then before I get it overhauled?

Like JimH said, the five is the day of the week. I have an old Rado with the same "feature".
    Thank you. I have no idea what Trisonic means! It should means something like '3 sounds' - but it ticks normally enough.

$300 seems very expensive for an overhaul of a watch that's had no wear. I would expect to pay about 35 ($70) round here. But yes - the oil gets dry and sludgy and running it will cause abrasive damage.

The number for the day of the week is a feature I've not come across before - it adds to the interest of the watch. Very useful!

A couple of old ads attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I would go along with that. $300 is going towards the service costs for a chronograph. I would look around a bit before accepting that price.

Hartmut Richter

Thanks, I've found another shop with a much more reasonable price. I'm looking forward to knowing that the watch is in better health when I get it back in a week or so.
    Cheers,
    --Rob

Thanks, I've found another shop with a much more reasonable price. I'm looking forward to knowing that the watch is in better health when I get it back in a week or so.
    That's good news.

Anyway, I've just googled Ogival again and found this little snippet:

"I had made a contractual arrangement with Mr. Schmidt from Ogival who also owned the name Ulysse Nardin to buy this name for a one year period with an option to buy the company thereafter."

From: http://www.waldaninternational.com/waldan_letter.shtml

So Ogival was (is?) connected to the prestigious Ulysse Nardin brand. BTW, the rest of that letter is pretty interesting and revealing regarding the Swiss chronograph industry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information