Thread: Tissot Visodate Seastar PR 516

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Marrick's Avatar

Tissot Visodate Seastar PR 516

I got this a while ago, but only got it back from being mended (new barrel; service; canon pinion issue) recently. The crown is obviously a replacement, but I don't mind that.

The movement is a 782-1 which was introduced in 1965. The serial number dates this watch to 1969 - I think it looks very 70's.

This shot shows the blemishes on the dial - but they're really not that obvious in real life.

You may notice 'T Swiss Made T' which means:

The indication "T Swiss made T" means that the watch is Swiss and contains a certain quantity of tritium that emits less than 227 MBq (7,5 mCi).

Anyway, as Tritium has a very short half life (12.3 years) it doesn't glow at all anymore.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Many of my pictures were posted via Webshots which has now closed - and so have disappeared from WUS. Sorry.

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Re: Tissot Visodate Seastar PR 516

Nice pick up.........I like these, and it might not suprise you to know I have one just like it, plus a few variants

This case style came in towards the end of the 60's, as I've got a Sonorous in the same case dating from '67, and I think my PR is from '69??

This case style is one of the nicest around and for me it is the classic Tissot. Interestingly enough, they are not all marked PR 516 (as I thought at first), but the early ones came as "plain" Seastars:

Early in my career as a watch nut; I fantasized about collecting PR 516 and bought a couple of them...
    I gave up on that after a (short) while. I am still curious in what colour the dials came. I do have a silver, golden, steel blue and red one. The golden and red dial ones came with gold plated cases (pretty worn down), the others in stainless steel. Two PR 516 Sonorous in a kind of "diver style", too - but their dials are kind of "ruined".

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Marrick's Avatar

Thanks Guys.

BTW, its taken me a while to find because of lousy indexing, but this is from the 'Tissot: 150 Years of history' book (page 112).

The PR 516 watch was also created in 1956, but it was with the renewal of the advertising campaign 10 years later that the series experienced great success, to such an extent that it became one of the most important models of the entire Tissot collection. "PR" stood for "Particularly Robust". Its water-resistance was guaranteed to 100 metres; the strength of this watch was guaranteed by a suspended movement that further provided shock protection against shock (in the lateral and axial directions). "PR 516" Collection exists in several variants.........

.........The PR 516 watch, which also belonged to a "Grand Luxe" series launched in in 1965, became available in 1972 in chronograph and wristwatch versions;......

The perforated bracelet, as on o.v.e's top picture, is attributed to designer Lucien Gurtner and bracelet makers Desrobert, incidentally.
    Anyone know why 516? Was it just a reference to 1956 without being too obvious?
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Many of my pictures were posted via Webshots which has now closed - and so have disappeared from WUS. Sorry.

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

You are not the first to ponder about that... I have no clue either. I know there is the PR 526 GL, too, and I have even seen a very clumsy looking PR 518 once.
    Also, it is completely unclear, which model was marked as PR 516, and which as "Seastar" only, as there does not really seem to be any difference sometimes. Or is there really some special kind of additional "shock protection" - in Your picture above I can see a plastic movement ring? But I am pretty sure there is none such thing in the PR 516 GL's, that I own... and the movements are found in both lines.
    Well, whatever...

He-loh I've been thinking about selling this poor lost little 70s chunk. But hmmm...not too bad:
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    He-loh I've been thinking about selling this poor lost little 70s chunk. But hmmm...not too bad:

Nice blue dial on that one I have one the same but with a green dial, which is nice

With regard to what the 516 means......I have no idea?? I've tried to find out, but havn't come up with anything yet!!

Really like the steel rally bracelet on o.v.e's 516. Anyone know where these can be found? I missed an opportunity on eBay some time ago, haven't been able to find anywhere.

Somebody posted a link to a current vendor... but I can't find it.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by CCerino View Post
    Really like the steel rally bracelet on o.v.e's 516. Anyone know where these can be found? I missed an opportunity on eBay some time ago, haven't been able to find anywhere.
    I have the watch with that bracelet, would sell. PM if interested!

Thread Information