Urs Schild Movement ( early Eterna )

Thread: Urs Schild Movement ( early Eterna )

Urs Schild Movement ( early Eterna )

Recently aquired this movement for a project:

This is what I know, correct me if I am wrong:

After Schild Freres, the movements were signed U. Schild ( Urs Schild ) the son of Anton Schild.And then, when Urs's son Max and Adolph Schild couldn't work together anymore, Urs went on by his own company which became Eterna in 1906 and its ebauche division ETA, and Adolph Schild continued making ebauches and all the calibers we know now, A.Schild.
    ETA and A.Schild formed the ASUAG in 1930,the same year when Omega, Tissot and Lemania formed SSIH, the basics of recent Swatch Group after a long journey.

The question is:

Since this movement is signed U.Schild which became Eterna in 1906 ( I saw the alarm watch from Eterna produced in 1908, PW, the movement was signed Eterna ) can we assume this is from pre 1906? Or was Eterna still using some ebauches signed U.Schild from their inventory? The watch dial looks a military dial with a red 12, which we see in WW I era trench watches. Do you think this dial and movement belong originally together and were made as a wrist watch in the first years of the 19hundreds? Or is this a ladies pendant watch alike design? The diameter of the movement is 23 mm, and I couldn't identify the movement.

Thanks for any input
    Last edited by Emre; October 17th, 2012 at 10:41.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Urs Schild Movement ( early Eterna )

That is a difficult one to answer. The founder of the company was Urs Schild, son of Anton Schild, together with Dr. Joseph Girard in 1856 ("Dr. Girard & Schild Ebauches"). In 1866, Girard left the company so that Urs Schild was the single owner and I believe that it wes then that the movements were signed "Urs Schild". This lasted until Urs's death in 1888 or a few years thereafter when the company was renamed "Schild Freres" (or "Gebrüder Schild & Co") and "Eterna" in 1906.

The U. Schild movements were therefore in existence before the Schild Freres movements. Since the watch seems completely out of character for a pre-1888 watch, I can only presume that you are right and that an old stock movement was used to make it. This was common around that time - the first wrist watches were largely based on ladies's pendant watch movements, some of them old stock. It just seems a little unusual that such a very old stock movement should have been used.....

Hartmut Richter

Re: Urs Schild Movement ( early Eterna )

Thanks Hartmut for the correction between the Schild Freres and Urs Schild era. Sounds like I scored something interesting. Hope I can manage to put it back in shape. It will be certainly a watch with character.
    Last edited by Emre; October 18th, 2012 at 00:03.

Thread Information