WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Valjoux 7730 - minute chrono hand jumps 1 minute at start - broken?

915 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Chascomm 
#1 ·
Hi all, would appreciate some forum wisdom on a question that I and the seller of a watch I just purchased off of eBay are debating. I bought a Valjoux 7730 poor man's Heuer (Tradition) chronograph. Upon receipt I noticed an issue or at least something different than my other chrono, a Speedie Pro. When I activate the chrono, the chrono minutes hand immediately jumps to 1 minute (i.e., it reads like it's at 1 minute 1 second right away), and then keeps on functioning past that point.

I think this indicates a broken gear, because on my Speedie when I activate the chrono, the seconds hand starts running but the minute stays at 0, and only jumps after 1 minute has elapsed.

The seller says it's always worked this way so it never occurred to him this could be a flaw, and his watchmaker did not point it out to him in service.

Anyone with a Valjoux 7730, particularly a Heuer-made Carrera or one of the poor man's versions (Hamilton, Tradition, Zodiac, etc.), or experience with chronograph movements in general, have a thought on this?

#2 ·
Does the minute hand reset to zero?
If so, maybe the minute recorder jumper needs repositioning/adjusting.
If not, the hand needs repositioning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.