Thread: very old Bucherer pocket watch..

very old Bucherer pocket watch..

Hi there

I recently was given a pocket watch and you'll have to excuse me but I don't know much at all about watches, so I was wondering if anyone could give me a little bit more information on it.

I've been searching around the forums & google and can't seem to find much at all.. in fact i'm now actually more confused, is Bucherer even a brand?

Anyway, the watch is a wind-up, and is in working condition. The face says "Bucherer Suisse" at the top and "17 Rubis incabloc" on the bottom. there's also a number on the inside of the back plate, "247072". not sure if that's a serial number or what.

I'm really just looking for any information on it.. date, whatever.. sorry i can't give more details other than what i see..

Also, tried ebay, can't seem to find anything even similar.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: very old Bucherer pocket watch..

Bucherer is the major Swiss jewelry chain which sells watches under their own brand name. They don't show up too much in the 'bay... but when they do, they often represent good value for the money.

17 Rubis means 17 jewels... this is a fairly standard handwind movement. The serial number in the case means something only to the case maker... I know of no indexing based on those numbers.

I suspect this is a wristwatch movement encased as a pocket watch. But one of the real movement experts may be able to say more.

Welcome to the Vintage forum where old is beautiful!!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

The number on the case back is, unfortuntely, mostly useless. The movment looks like a decent quality swiss movement; do you see any numbers or symbols on the plate underneath the balance wheel? That's the most common place to put caliber markings. I'm guessing 1950's, but I'm not sure how valid the design cues are for a watch like this. Anything else written on the back of the movment?
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thanks for the information guys!

I don't see anything written on the movement other than "swiss made 17 jewels" and then a dial type thing you can move between AF and RS, which I'm assuming has something to do with the speed.

is the balance wheel the piece that is constantly moving? without touching anything, i can't see anything written under that piece..

there are some other number carved on the back plate but they appear to be done by hand.. R71X0 mean anything to anyone? haha. or 5608D4-24T9?

Quote Originally Posted by rikrok View Post

there are some other number carved on the back plate but they appear to be done by hand.. R71X0 mean anything to anyone? haha. or 5608D4-24T9?
    Most likely these are markings made by watch makers. They serve as IDs which link to specific paperwork. It is easy for a watch to get separated from the paperwork. By using this index, the watch can always be returned to the correct customer.

At on point the FBI tried to get watchmakers to follow a standard. This would tie these markings to a specific watchmaker thus aiding in identification of remains where a watch stayed intact. I have no idea if this is still done.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

A=Avance=Faster=F
    R=Retard=Slower=S

The bridge work is distinctive enough that someone might recognize it. Failing that, the only other way to ID the movment is to remove the hands and dial and photograph the keyless works (the gears for winding and setting the time). You'd need a competent watchmaker with the right tools for that.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    ....I suspect this is a wristwatch movement encased as a pocket watch. But one of the real movement experts may be able to say more....

I think you are right.Chain is silver,much older than movement.I own couple like that myself.

There is incablock on the movement,so.....
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

the bridge is similar to the AS 1194, but it's not an uncommon layout. there are other manufacturers who used something similar.

Hi rikrok,

the movement is either an FHF 25 or FHF 28:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...e&2uswk&FHF_25
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...e&2uswk&FHF_28

They differ only refering the height. But the number should be readable under the balance.

These calibres were popular in the 50s and early 60s.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Thread Information