Thread: Waltham in a Dennison Star Case

Waltham in a Dennison Star Case

Attachment 976662

One of my old friends gave me this watch about 30 years ago and I had put it in a box and forgotten about it. The serial number on the movement is 66800 but there doesn't seem to be any other markings as you can see by the photo. The face is covered by what seems to be a cheap plastic crystal which seems a bit odd to me. The case is a Dennison Star and overall the watch works and keeps time.

From looking at the pictures it looks like it needs a clean big time. I guess I will start looking for a watch maker in my area to see if it is worth cleaning up.

Attachment 976663

Mark.
    Last edited by marlloyd; February 18th, 2013 at 02:04.
    -----------------------------
    Tissot T882k
    Tag Heuer Professional
    Oris Aquis Date
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E

Re: Waltham in a Dennison Star Case

Mark,

First, looking up the serial number here:

Waltham Pocket Watch Serial Number 66800 Information

indicates a William Ellery from 1863, which it appears it is not. This is a very low serial number and Waltham's in this period were almost all key wind and set. I assume yours is stem wind and set.

I also do not see any Waltham Watch Co. markings on the movement either. Which I have never seen before.

Can you tell me the movement is and case are?

18s 44.86mm ( Case about 2 1/8" to 2 1/4")

16s 43.18mm ( Case about 2" )

12s 39.7mm ( Case about 1 7/8")

6s 34mm (Case about 1 7/16")

These were some of the more common sizes.

I appears to be a 7 jewel watch and has a simple regulator. Kind of a mystery here. I you would like I can post your picture at he NAWCC pocket watch site to try to find some more info.

Plastic crystals are very common on old pocket watches as the glass crystals were replaced over time, through breakage or scratching, and plastic was thought to be a better, more durable and cheaper alternative. Any vintage P/W in my collection that was purchased having a plastic crystal, I have replaced with a new "old stock" glass one.

The case looks to be about 2 inches side to side. The movement measures about 41mm, not sure what you mean by 16s.
    In looking at the watch carefully I cant say that I can see any jewels at all but I may not be recognizing them correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bezelbub View Post
    Mark,

First, looking up the serial number here:

Waltham Pocket Watch Serial Number 66800 Information

indicates a William Ellery from 1863, which it appears it is not. This is a very low serial number and Waltham's in this period were almost all key wind and set. I assume yours is stem wind and set.

I also do not see any Waltham Watch Co. markings on the movement either. Which I have never seen before.

Can you tell me the movement is and case are?

18s 44.86mm ( Case about 2 1/8" to 2 1/4")

16s 43.18mm ( Case about 2" )

12s 39.7mm ( Case about 1 7/8")

6s 34mm (Case about 1 7/16")

These were some of the more common sizes.

I appears to be a 7 jewel watch and has a simple regulator. Kind of a mystery here. I you would like I can post your picture at he NAWCC pocket watch site to try to find some more info.

Plastic crystals are very common on old pocket watches as the glass crystals were replaced over time, through breakage or scratching, and plastic was thought to be a better, more durable and cheaper alternative. Any vintage P/W in my collection that was purchased having a plastic crystal, I have replaced with a new "old stock" glass one.
    Last edited by marlloyd; February 19th, 2013 at 02:44.
    Tissot T882k
    Tag Heuer Professional
    Oris Aquis Date
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E

Ok so as I understand 16s means size 16. If you can pass the photo onto the other forum that would be great.

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by marlloyd View Post
    The case looks to be about 2 inches side to side. The movement measures about 41mm, not sure what you mean by 16s.
    In looking at the watch carefully I cant say that I can see any jewels at all but I may not be recognizing them correctly.
    Tissot T882k
    Tag Heuer Professional
    Oris Aquis Date
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E

Mark,

Here is a link to a thread I posted about your watch at NAWCC. Could be a Waltham Equity model. Not a very high grade watch though.

Walham fake?

Thread Information