WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Waterproof history question

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Chascomm 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I have read in several places that the Wittnauer allproof was the first patented waterproof, antimagnetic, and shockproof watch, and was patented in 1918 or so. However, the Rolex oyster is often credited with the designation of the first waterproof watch, but it was not patented until 1926. Anyone care to shed light on this.

#2 ·
In all probability the technology of water resistance took several years to develop. Some would argue it still hasn't been perfected. ;-)
Wittnauer seems to be the earliest to make the claim, but Rolex and also Cartier's Pasha design (1933) tout the fact that they were "first" in water resistance.
It's like self-winding technology. It's debatable who has a legitimate claim to be "first" since some of the earliest designs weren't all that practical.

#3 ·
Ray MacDonald said:
In all probability the technology of water resistance took several years to develop. Some would argue it still hasn't been perfected. ;-)
Wittnauer seems to be the earliest to make the claim, but Rolex and also Cartier's Pasha design (1933) tout the fact that they were "first" in water resistance.
It's like self-winding technology. It's debatable who has a legitimate claim to be "first" since some of the earliest designs weren't all that practical.
I could be cynical and add that the company with the biggest publicity department wins ;-)

e.g. 'the first watch on top of Everest'. Hillary wore a Smiths De Luxe officially supplied for the expedition. Tensing wore his old Rolex bubbleback. Rolex claim to have supplied the expedition, but no evidence has ever been forthcoming. Tensing and Hillary made a pact never to reveal who was the first man to the top, but you tell me which watch most people believe was first on top. It all comes down to advertising.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.