Where have all the wind-up watches gone?

Thread: Where have all the wind-up watches gone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where have all the wind-up watches gone?

Hi All,

I woke up this morning deciding I wanted to get a good old fashioned wind-up watch: no battery, no solar panel, no kinetic doohamihikees. I just like fiddling with the knob and to be honest, anything with a battery really makes my bones ache.

I have been scouring the internet all day and just can't seem to find ANYTHING. I don't want anything overly complicated, just 3 hands, a rotating bezel, and day/date. An alarm bell would be nice but totally optional (I had one like this, I loved it).

Does anyone know of a particular brand or two which still makes them? Is there a particular search-word I should be using like "mechanical" or "vintage" or anything other than "wind-up"?

Thank you so much everyone!

Re: Where have all the wind-up watches gone?

its manual wind up watches on the search would be your best wording, still make them all depends on the price you are willing to pay. still have companies e.g seiko, omega, tag, or even some smaller companies making the cases and placing swiss movements in them e.g christopher ward or even time factors. most are autos but still need winding up now and then to keep them fully charged.

What style of watches do you like modern style or vintage? There are many modern mechanical watches made in China, Russia, India, Japan, Germany, Switzerland, and other places I don't remember. You can get Chinese Mechanicals for cheap off of ebay. You can buy a new Russian Vostok Amphibian for about $60-$70 and it almost fits the bill except it has date only. Also it is an automatic, which means you don't have to wind the watch if you move your arms alot, you probably wouldn't like the wobbly crown either.

Although there are several companies making new manual wind watches, my recommendation would be to look for a nice vintage windup. Look at Cyma, Sandoz, Elgin, IWC and all of the classic brand names.

Gadzooks, they are everywhere (on eBay!). The last winder designed in Switzerland was in the late 1960s. But few have been made since the late 1950s.

Search with the term "17 jewels" -- that will find a lot of them and a few older automatics. But the rotating bezel is a "modern fad" ... not many real vintage with one.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Most of my watches are winders, if you would like a nice winder with alarm, check out Poljot alarm watch, if you have a bigger budget get a Revue Alarm (Cricket). FV

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Try searching the category 'watches' for 'vintage', excluding 'quartz', 'auto' and 'automatic'.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Just search "vintage watch" on ebay and you'll get thousands of results. Pocket watches, wristwatches, what ever you like.

I like my manual winds... strange for myself to realize that I now have 4 manual winds and only 1 auto.

There are plenty of manual wind vintage Omegas on fleabay.

For alarm, search for vintage JLC Memovox.
    60s vintage Jaeger-LeCoultre HW | 60s vintage Tradition 23j HW | Laco Pilot 42 Type A HW | Tourby Aviator B2c | Sinn U1 | Marathon TSAR & GSAR | Vintage Glashutte GUB

Thank you everyone! I guess I should have been more specific, I am not looking for vintage per se, just vintage technology. But I will try out the other suggestions. Much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information