B-01 Calibre how good.
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: B-01 Calibre how good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

B-01 Calibre how good.

The B-01 calibre has been around for a few years now, is it any good accuracy components compared to the competion like omega & panerai. I am keen on the Chronomat and would appreciate any advice on the movement ect, It does seem there are not many chronomat folk about.
    Last edited by ROG58; September 15th, 2017 at 18:06.

Re: B-01 Calibre how good.

I've got a Chronomat 01 and I have no complaints. With the chronograph running full time it's roughly 3.5 seconds/day fast, and the controls are very crisp, tactile, and sturdy. I recommend it.

Edit: I haven't done any tracking of accuracy with the chronograph off.
    Safe in the Collection
    Omega:
    Seamaster Aqua Terra (231.10.42.21.06.001)
    Hamilton:
    Pan Europ (H35756735)
    Breitling: Chronomat 41 LE (AB014112/BB47-378A)

Quote Originally Posted by Fusbal View Post
    I've got a Chronomat 01 and I have no complaints. With the chronograph running full time it's roughly 3.5 seconds/day fast, and the controls are very crisp, tactile, and sturdy. I recommend it.

Edit: I haven't done any tracking of accuracy with the chronograph off.
    Sounds very good, thanks for that.

IMO the BO1 is a fantastic movement. It's a 346 part column wheel chrono w/ at least 70hr power reserve (thanks to a 28800vph and flat barrel spring), it has a glycodur balance wheel, vertical clutch, 47 jewels, quick date adjust, bi-directional rotor, exceptional shock resistance by design (as well as was engineered with a "smart architecture' as Breitling calls it to make disassembly/ servicing easier), a patented self centering system for the resetting hammers, fair magnetic resistance, a Breitling manufactured mainplate/ bridge, and they're all certified. Overall I highly recommend but I suppose I'm a little biased :)
    ROG58, Jazzmaster and O2AFAC67 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_957 View Post
    IMO the BO1 is a fantastic movement. It's a 346 part column wheel chrono w/ at least 70hr power reserve (thanks to a 28800vph and flat barrel spring), it has a glycodur balance wheel, vertical clutch, 47 jewels, quick date adjust, bi-directional rotor, exceptional shock resistance by design (as well as was engineered with a "smart architecture' as Breitling calls it to make disassembly/ servicing easier), a patented self centering system for the resetting hammers, fair magnetic resistance, a Breitling manufactured mainplate/ bridge, and they're all certified. Overall I highly recommend but I suppose I'm a little biased :)
    Not at all biased, I'm happy to see the enthusiasm and good home work done on the model. Like you i am interested in the engineering and attention to detail, one thing you might be able to help with is my question on the glycodur balance wheel, my understanding its old tec, i suppose I'm looking at other models with there Silicon hairspring and thinking what I'm lead to believe its superior to anything else, whats your take on this thanks.

What I've been told, if I recall correctly, is that Breitling intend on using silicon once, and I'm open to correction, a patent expires which allows only a small number of companies to use a specific, and desirable, type of silicon at a reasonable cost.

And so yes, silicon is technically a better material but some people are skeptical about certain aspects:
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a-...in-watchmaking

What I can say is that a glycodur balance wheel may not be the newest tech but it is definitely tried and true. Some folks have claimed some negatives with silicon, such as a greater susceptibility to isochronism, but as stated it is technically a better material. But even without the B01 is very efficient, in a variety of environments, and I think Breitling's 5 year warranty for inhouse movements speaks to their faith in the longevity of their design to maintain spec. When it becomes more cost beneficial Breitling will probably use silicon but as far as benefit versus cost today the added benefit just isn't that substantial (substantial in regards to practical benefit for the wearer).

Anyhow I'm completely open to correction, just my thoughts :)
    Last edited by Dan_957; 4 Weeks Ago at 18:34.
    ROG58 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_957 View Post
    What I've been told, if I recall correctly, is that Breitling intend on using silicon once, and I'm open to correction, a patent expires which allows only a small number of companies to use a specific, and desirable, type of silicon at a reasonable cost.

And so yes, silicon is technically a better material but some people are skeptical about certain aspects:
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a-...in-watchmaking

What I can say is that a glycodur balance wheel may not be the newest tech but it is definitely tried and true. Some folks have claimed some negatives with silicon, such as a greater susceptibility to isochronism, but as stated it is technically a better material. But even without the B01 is very efficient, in a variety of environments, and I think Breitling's 5 year warranty for inhouse movements speaks to their faith in the longevity of their design to maintain spec. When it becomes more cost beneficial Breitling will probably use silicon but as far as benefit versus cost today the added benefit just isn't that substantial (substantial in regards to practical benefit for the wearer).

Anyhow I'm completely open to correction, just my thoughts :)
    Sounds about right, i have not seen any mention on hair spring or balance wheel in regards to make, i have seen the impressive 1 year it takes to make a Chronomat and 1000 hours going through the manufacture process, which all points to positive makings of a great watch.

My Navitimer 01 is about +1 per day. Arguably one of my more accurate watches. And has been so since new when I got it about a year ago.

And a picture, for good measure....

Great stuff.

I don't think Rolex (Tudor) would have been interested in the movement if it wasn't any good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information