WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Best waterproof leather bracelet???

5K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  SnapIT 
#1 ·
Hi guys i've just made a purchase of my 2nd breitling. it's a colt GMT with SS bracelet and It won't be here until next week. the waiting game is awfully painful.

I am now planning to get a calf skin leather black with white stitching strap for it. And I don't think i'll get the OEM since their calf skins aren't waterproof. I know some brands out there like hirsch, hadley roma and banda do have waterproof calf skin ones.

just wondering which one would be the best ? and do other breitling experts here would have other recommendations?

Thanks in advance

cheers

#2 ·
Hi, Carrie. Congratulations on the GMT! I think you...

ckhy said:
Hi guys i've just made a purchase of a colt GMT with SS bracelet. I am now planning to get a calf skin leather black with white stitching strap for it. And I don't think i'll get the OEM since their calf skins aren't waterproof. I know some brands out there like hirsch, hadley roma and banda do have waterproof calf skin ones. Just wondering which one would be the best ?
definitely made the right decision and I'm sure you'll be very pleased with your choice when it arrives. The Pro II bracelet on your GMT is a stunner also but if you do put it on a Breitling black calf strap I suspect you'll like the combination every bit as much. As far as true waterproof straps go, many Breitling owners opt for the rubber "diver" straps. Hopefully you'll have a chance to see one at a dealer and judge for yourself if you like the look. A better choice than the three names you mentioned for water resistant leather straps might be shark. One of our members ordered and received a beautiful black shark strap with red stitching for his black dial Navitimer "World" and it is gorgeous. It was also VERY reasonably priced. The site he used is in Italy and their speed in providing his strap was amazing. His name is Altan and hopefully he'll see this thread and post a pic of it for you. Here is the site... http://www.ilcinturino.it/eng/index.html
Take a look and let us know what you think. And please buy, beg, borrow or steal a digital camera so we can see pics of the GMT upon arrival! :-!
Cheers,
Ron

#3 ·
haha Ron you also played a big part in my purchase

Yea I've just ordered a 18mm Breitling Diver Pro for my old Colt Auto to replace its worn calf leather and that's why I wanted to try something new for my Colt GMT. I love the pro2 bracelet but I think i would be too scared to wear it out thinking i might scratched it

I have found rubber strap on the net with white stitchings as well /// It looks alright and I hope it will give me the look of the calf leather strap but with the functionality of being totally waterproof

or should I get another Diver Pro strap for it? might be a bit boring eh?

what do you guys reckon

:thanks

Attachments

#4 ·
ckhy said:
I love the pro2 bracelet but I think i would be too scared to wear it out thinking I might scratch it. I found a rubber strap on the net with white stitchings as well. It looks alright and I hope it will give me the look of the calf leather strap but with the functionality of being totally waterproof. Or, should I get another Diver Pro strap for it? Might be a bit boring, eh?
Hmmmmmmmm.... Wear the Pro II bracelet and enjoy it. You can always have it polished again if you happen to beat the heck out of it. Another Diver Pro? Up to you but I think a shark strap has a pretty darn high level of water resistance. I don't know if a shark strap is as functional as a diver strap, maybe not. Other members will likely post their experience and opinion very soon. I personally like the idea of shark over rubber but I'm not a diver so I probably shouldn't voice an opinion. Heck, get one of each!! ;-) :-D
Cheers,
Ron

#5 ·
ckhy said:
Hi guys i've just made a purchase of my 2nd breitling. it's a colt GMT with SS bracelet and It won't be here until next week. the waiting game is awfully painful.

I am now planning to get a calf skin leather black with white stitching strap for it. And I don't think i'll get the OEM since their calf skins aren't waterproof. I know some brands out there like hirsch, hadley roma and banda do have waterproof calf skin ones.

just wondering which one would be the best ? and do other breitling experts here would have other recommendations?

Thanks in advance

cheers
I use Hirsch Mariners on some other watches and these straps seem to withstand water quite well. They are rated water-resistant to 100 m and I have been swimming with them and could find no ill effects.

While they are thinner than Breitling straps, the leather feels very soft and comfortable and Hirsch clasps have a nice solid look and feel too.

If you are thinking about man-made materials; another option are Hirsch carbon straps and I would buy them anytime again.

Cheers,

#6 ·
Yea I am considering the Hirsch Mariners as well

I might wait till my diverpro strap for my colt auto to arrive and see how much i like it. If i love it i might get another one for my colt GMT as well. and i'll also see how the pro2 bracelet works out. :-D
really cannnnnnnnn't wait

Don't worry about that Ron I'll surely post pics of them, it's a sin not to do so ;-)

Cheers

#8 ·
I agree you should wear and enjoy the bracelet~! But if you'd like another option for waterproof leather, I suggest a Hirsch Liberty like I purchased for my Doxa that is waterproof (rated to 100m) and has IMHO a more "Breitling like" profile than the Mariner.

Here's a pic on the Doxa. Man, I just wish they made the GMT a slight bit bigger, I'd buy one in a heart beat!

#9 ·
I like the Di-Modell Carbonio Sport alot. It's very comfortable and seems quite tough, although I've not really tested out the toughness. I got mine wet and the inside looked just fine afterward.

My honest opinion, though, and this comes from a lot of diving and horror stories I've heard from divers and boaters, is that a NATO, Zulu, Rhino, or Waterborne is your best bet in the water. Most will stretch a little when submerged awhile, but what you have is a strap otherwise unaffected by water, and more importantly, security.

Snag your watch on something and break a springbar on a regular strap underwater and your watch is possibly gone forever. On one of the ones mentioned above, one springbar is still holding the watch to the strap.

One of my dive instructors used to make money on the side diving for watches dropped off of yachts in Annapolis Harbour :-D
Cheers,
Bruce

#11 ·
Hello T Bone,

I was tempted to order a Hirsch Liberty strap, but was told that I couldn't wear it on a clasp because the leather was too thick. I prefer to wear clasps since I have to take the watch on and off my wrist constantly walking through airport security checkpoints.

Do you wear yours on a clasp, or do you use a standard buckle?

Cheers,

Kurt

#12 · (Edited)
Hi, Thanks guys for the tip
My GMT is going to arrive on tuesday, I can't wait

So you can't wear the liberty with a clasp? how about the Hirsch Mariner then? I also heard that the liberty is only water resistance not water proof? How about the Hirsch Shark strap ? it looks alright to me too. I am planning to take my GMT into showers and the pool etc.

any votes on which one would be the best for it?

oh did I say I can't wait again?

:)

#13 ·
Well, if you're going to insist on wearing a leather strap in the water I'd have to vote for either the Hirsch Mariner (just on hearsay) or, if you want shark a Di-Modell shark. I really like the Hirsch Liberty, but I wouldn't get it wet on purpose. Di-Modell is about the best quality you can get. It costs a bit bit more, but I think it's worth it.
Cheers,
Bruce

#14 · (Edited)
BruceS said:
Well, if you're going to insist on wearing a leather strap in the water I'd have to vote for either the Hirsch Mariner (just on hearsay) or, if you want shark a Di-Modell shark. I really like the Hirsch Liberty, but I wouldn't get it wet on purpose. Di-Modell is about the best quality you can get. It costs a bit bit more, but I think it's worth it.
Cheers,
Bruce
? You may be right, but it is listed as 100wr, sauna tested. This quote is from the WatchPrine's site
"Water Resistant - Every Hirsch watch band is water resistant; some to 100 meters, and cannot be damaged by water."

I still would not dive or even swim with it, but for short immersions I wouldn't worry. Hey, should even be able to swim with it based on the claims, but it wouldn't seem right....

Ckhy, another option for wet works, the Aeromarine collection of Breitlings work/look exceedingly well with both NATO and Zulu straps. And they are more secure than the bracelet (which I would wear too if I were you) or a strap due to the strap going through both pins.

Kurt, I've read the same on the clasp, and wear mine with a buckle. My aftermarket clasps are single and butterfly clasps from EOT, and trying them just now, I've confirmed it too thick for them. Maybe if there is a clasp made for Panerai straps, it would accept a bit thicker leather?

#16 ·
you guys will not believe the price my AD quoted me for a diver pro strap and calf skin with normal pin buckle

diver pro : 280Aud (210US)
Calf skin : 350AUD (262US)

what is wrong with this world
this is one of the only 2 ADs here in Brisbane, Australia

I have decided to take Ron's advise and get both the diver pro AND a leather band. I know the diver pro only retails for 75US over there in the US, could anyone kindly order one for me via your own local AD and i'll pay you via paypal? and i'll be responsbile for shipping of course

thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.