Breitling Colt Chrono - Quartz vs Automatic

Thread: Breitling Colt Chrono - Quartz vs Automatic

Breitling Colt Chrono - Quartz vs Automatic

Any advice on which way to go on this? Been leaning towards the auto, but the quartz is interesting from an accuracy/convenience perspective.

I just wonder if I can get on board mentally with spending $2500 on a quartz watch. Help guide me one way or the other. Opinions welcome...

Re: Breitling Colt Chrono - Quartz vs Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_UKTX View Post
    Any advice on which way to go on this? Been leaning towards the auto, but the quartz is interesting from an accuracy/convenience perspective.

I just wonder if I can get on board mentally with spending $2500 on a quartz watch. Help guide me one way or the other. Opinions welcome...
    I recently pulled the trigger on a Sinn UX, which uses essentially the same movement as the Colt Superquartz. I was originally hunting a Sinn U1 and in my head, nothing else would do. I too was struggling with justifying the cost, but the more I read about the 955.652 the more I was intrigued and eventually impressed. Now that I have it on the wrist I can honestly say that I’m just as happy if not more so than I think I would’ve been with the auto U1. So don’t let the “quartz stigma” getcha down. It’s an impressive piece of technology that’s still wearing that winged B . (And unlike me, you wont have to send it back to Deutschland for a new battery and an oil change every 8 years)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta go with the auto if it were me. Do you have any other auto's or quartz in your collection or will this be a one watch deal? If you do decide to go quartz try looking for a used colt then.

Yes, I have several other pieces. I have a Sinn 104, Omega Seasmaster, Seiko SNA413, and a G-Shock :) . Quite a diverse set of watches...

Quote Originally Posted by Southtown57 View Post
    Gotta go with the auto if it were me. Do you have any other auto's or quartz in your collection or will this be a one watch deal? If you do decide to go quartz try looking for a used colt then.

OP, I've always been an auto guy. Swore I'd never get a quartz watch. Got older and wiser (maybe), and got tired of having to set the date and time of my auto watches when worn whenever. No rotation thing. So I recently bought a pre owned Colt Superquartz 44 #A74387, and just love it. Nice clean non busy and very legible dial, and it keeps perfect time every......single.....day! In 6 months it hasn't lost a second. To me that's terrific. I think everyone should have one quartz in their collection. Buying pre owned is the way to go too imho.

I’m a fan of Breitlings super quartz. I have had 2 now and will have another in Titanium as a tool watch. The build quality combined with convenience to me, actually makes it very desirable. Of course I’ve owned twice as many Auto Breitlings, so I‘m also a glutton for date change punishment
    Small rotating collection of interesting stories

I've got a Colt chrono super quartz, it's a nice watch. It's deadly accurate, its thin, it has a cool central chrono minutes, it has split time and flyback functionality, and jumping hour hand (1hr increments - handy for travel). It's a great grab-and-go piece. I understand that spending that much on quartz is a hard pill to swallow, but the 7750 isn't exactly an exciting movement either...
    IMO, the only quartz worth having is high-end quartz. Breitling, Grand Seiko, Sinn UX (cool watch!), or FP Journe, etc.

I think it depends more on what is already in your collection. If this will be your first or second luxury level piece, the automatic is probably the way to go. But if you already have a few luxury pieces, I think there is more horological interest in going quartz

Regardless, you can't go wrong either way.
    Tudor Black Bay | Omega Speedmaster Professional | Breitling Colt Chronograph | Oris Aquis | Hamilton Intra-matic

Thread Information