Breitling was a division of Chronosport?!

Thread: Breitling was a division of Chronosport?!

Breitling was a division of Chronosport?!

Okay, I will get to the reason for the title of the thread in a moment. I was browsing through the online Poseidon diving equipment catalog and came across a picture of a watch that I thought looked cool and thought it must be a Chronosport, so of course I had to search to the end of the internet to find out exactly what watch was pictured.

Picture from Poseidon catalog

So I have decided that the Breitling New Pluton was the watch pictured

Pic found online

Now that I found the watch, I now decided that I needed one so the search begins and in my search I found this advert from Flying magazine from 1982

Pic from Flying magazine 1982

So this pic is the reason for the thread title, assuming Chronosport was the US distributor for Breitling back in those days? Still on the hunt for one of these, need to find the exact model, in a certain condition, for a good price etc. Just missed one that was on the Sales Corner last month! darn.

Regards,

Ren
    Last edited by 2500M_Sub; 1 Day Ago at 22:43.

Re: Breitling was a division of Chronosport?!

The Breitling New Pluton is a three pusher watch using the Miyota Y652 quartz movement. It's totally different from the Juoiter & Pluton in the ad which are two pusher watches that use the ESA Y2 900.231 quartz movement. You'd be much better off with the New Pluton style watch as the Miyota movement is much more reliable than the ESA and easily replaceable if needed. I haven't seen a properly working ESA Y2 9900.231 movement for sale in quite a while and they don't usually last long if they are working.

Quote Originally Posted by gtopaul View Post
    The Breitling New Pluton is a three pusher watch using the Miyota Y652 quartz movement. It's totally different from the Juoiter & Pluton in the ad which are two pusher watches that use the ESA Y2 900.231 quartz movement. You'd be much better off with the New Pluton style watch as the Miyota movement is much more reliable than the ESA and easily replaceable if needed. I haven't seen a properly working ESA Y2 9900.231 movement for sale in quite a while and they don't usually last long if they are working.
    Thanks for the insight. I gathered that the two buttons were impossible as there was Dacor branded two button on the bay for a cheap price in new condition but with a bum movement and doing some searches I quickly found out that the ESA movements were garbage. So I am indeed looking for a three button.

Regards,

Ren

Quote Originally Posted by 2500M_Sub View Post
    Thanks for the insight. I gathered that the two buttons were impossible as there was Dacor branded two button on the bay for a cheap price in new condition but with a bum movement and doing some searches I quickly found out that the ESA movements were garbage. So I am indeed looking for a three button.

Regards,

Ren
    Yeah I bought the Dacor (mostly for the mint case). Now I need a movement too. LOL I have a drawer full of ESA movements (probably over 20) and none of them work. It's a shame really. I've been talking to a collector friend about seeing if we could find a Chinese company that could make a suitable replacement for a manageable fee. I certainly think there would be a market for them as there are plenty of these early models laying around inop. Don't fall for the old "I don't know how to set the digital" in seller ads. Assume the worst and you won't be surprised.

Too funny! Hopefully you can get some movements made.

Regards,

Ren

Quote Originally Posted by 2500M_Sub View Post
    So this pic is the reason for the thread title, assuming Chronosport was the US distributor for Breitling back in those days?
    It certainly wasn't; misleading wording at best. I guess by "division of Chronosport, Inc" they mean a grey filing cabinet in an office block in Connecticut containing a stack of carbon-copied purchase orders to Breitling SA. Same sort of thing for "St Moritz Watch, Corp".

Thread Information