Breitling Sold to CVC Capital
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Breitling Sold to CVC Capital

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs Down Breitling Sold to CVC Capital

What are your thoughts that Breitling sold their operations to CVC Capital? I hope this will not affect their overall service. As of now, the experience I had with BUSA service was not stellar. Their maintenance video make it appear that they will sort out all problems before the ship the watch back to you. I had problems with them and their polishing skills weren't very good. I am very tempted in shipping my watch back to them again!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/elizabe.../#3b6204286a4b

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

Re: Breitling Sold to CVC Capital

Once again, on a sample size of one, this is very much a long bow to draw in the short time frame since the announcement went public in the last few weeks. Please post pictures of the defects you mention in your post so we can see the depth and breadth of the insults suffered by your watch.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Hidden Content
    Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Hidden Content

Interesting enough, I never had scratches on my bezel at all! The watch came back with it. The second picture is a mark left by the technician while trying to install the band lug. All I am saying is that I paid $220 for polishing and I was expecting it to come back almost brand new and without any scratches.

Well, at least they provided a complete overhaul and fixed my internal problems with the watch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic1.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	12057418

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic2.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	895.1 KB 
ID:	12057426

Quote Originally Posted by SnapIT View Post
    Once again, on a sample size of one, this is very much a long bow to draw in the short time frame since the announcement went public in the last few weeks. Please post pictures of the defects you mention in your post so we can see the depth and breadth of the insults suffered by your watch.
    Last edited by in2zion; June 7th, 2017 at 21:07.

I think the sale was a positive thing. I don't think this will change much immediately, Breitling already seems to be moving in a good direction in so much as the Colt Sky Racer represents a new and more accessible entry price point, use of alternate materials like Breitlite must lower manufacture costs, they're recent work with Tudor, etc. I don't know what will change long term but it seems like some positive expanding is taking place.

I can't comment on service.

FWIW, I think the service experience is not what it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Avantgardetime17 View Post
    FWIW, I think the service experience is not what it used to be.
    I've noticed that

HAQ and AW moderator

Why should one expect it to improve under new management?

Quote Originally Posted by ronalddheld View Post
    Why should one expect it to improve under new management?
    Hopefully they can bring in more of a financial backing and let the Breitling people do what they do and maybe give them more freedom to experiment.

"What are your thoughts that Breitling sold their operations to CVC Capital?"

I think the father died and the family cashed in -- which is a good thing as it's one indication the company wasn't selling due to financial distress. The CHF 866m price supports that assessment, as does the buyer, CVC Capital, which isn't a turnaround firm. There is every indication they've got cash on hand to innovate and grow. Breitling's deal with Tudor is a good move for both companies, and another good sign. I doubt that Rolex SA would have allowed that deal if Breitling was on shaky financial ground.

As for CVC Capital, well, they made a lot of money on their Formula One investment, which is impressive. Their portfolio is diversified, they focus on the middle market and they like to buy companies with good management teams in place.

If anything, this all adds up to "more of the same" and maybe some more cash to play with. It's too bad the company is no longer independent, but what Breitling really needs now is a strong financial base so it can push ahead with its plans.

BiggerJon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by windupp View Post
    "What are your thoughts that Breitling sold their operations to CVC Capital?"

I think the father died and the family cashed in -- which is a good thing as it's one indication the company wasn't selling due to financial distress. The CHF 866m price supports that assessment, as does the buyer, CVC Capital, which isn't a turnaround firm. There is every indication they've got cash on hand to innovate and grow. Breitling's deal with Tudor is a good move for both companies, and another good sign. I doubt that Rolex SA would have allowed that deal if Breitling was on shaky financial ground.

As for CVC Capital, well, they made a lot of money on their Formula One investment, which is impressive. Their portfolio is diversified, they focus on the middle market and they like to buy companies with good management teams in place.

If anything, this all adds up to "more of the same" and maybe some more cash to play with. It's too bad the company is no longer independent, but what Breitling really needs now is a strong financial base so it can push ahead with its plans.

+1
    windupp likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information