Thread: Is it brietling?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it brietling?

Just bought this watch quite cheap in a flea market.
    Need your help to identify which model it is and circa what year.
    Try to google, cant find the close one. Hopefully not a fake one.
    Thanks a lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Suspended

Re: Is it brietling?

Don't know much about older B watches, but that crown is definitely not Breitling.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by SadikP View Post
    Don't know much about older B watches, but that crown is definitely not Breitling.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong
    not all breitlings have a 'B' on the crown.

i could be wrong but my guess is this isn't genuine. the screw heads look oversized for the bezel and the 12 doesn't match the style of the other hour markings.
    Last edited by no_self_control; August 24th, 2008 at 05:07.
    PM me at WTF.

EJC

Quote Originally Posted by paijo View Post
    Thanks a lot.
    Is there a model # on the back?
    How about a serial number?
    Elliot
    "It's 5 O'Clock somewhere!"

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

A few things point to a genuine an early release model say '84-85 or a year or two later.
    Dial crispness and fonts used.
    Second hand, correct for "later" authorised service replacement parts.
    Crispness of the laser cut chapter on the rotating bezel and lens surround.
    Crispness and undamaged solid gold rider tabs.
    Aging of the lumi (tritium) of the hands and dial hour markers
    Given its obvious age the replacement crown is not unexpected. Its less desirable but can be brought back to original condition without much effort. If one has the feeling that this watch is a bit of a bitser (composed of several watches) I would think this is not the case but evidence of several services over its lifetime outside the factory authorised service centres. A nice piece if not too expensive when acquired. I too would like to know what the model and serial numbers were. A shot of the back would help.
    Last edited by SnapIT; August 24th, 2008 at 04:56.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

EJC

Quote Originally Posted by SnapIT View Post
    A few things point to a genuine an early release model say '84-85 or a year or two later.
    Dial crispness and fonts used.
    Second hand, correct for "later" authorised service replacement parts.
    Crispness of the laser cut chapter on the rotating bezel and lens surround.
    Crispness and undamaged solid gold rider tabs.
    Aging of the lumi (tritium) of the hands and dial hour markers
    Given its obvious age the replacement crown is not unexpected. Its less desirable but can be brought back to original condition without much effort. If one has the feeling that this watch is a bit of a bitser (composed of several watches) I would think this is not the case but evidence of several services over its lifetime outside the factory authorised service centres. A nice piece if not too expensive when acquired. I too would like to know what the model and serial numbers were. A shot of the back would help.
    I agree with SnapIt.
    I could not find anything resembling it in Richter.
    Elliot
    "It's 5 O'Clock somewhere!"

I am not sure which number on the back as the model. I attached back picture. I got it without strap. Just put cheap imitation leather strap temporary. What will be the bracelet for this type?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

sometimes UTC -8, or -7 or UTC and teh next week UTC +8 or UTC +9 , but usually in UTC +1 or +2

I cant read the numbers on the back but i believe this is a genuine breitling watch with a non original crown

-Rene
    Don't believe me or anything I say just because I say it ... do your own research , ask questions and get answers , find out what you can , do background searches on the (vintage) watch you're interested in AND on the seller , only if you do all of that you will be able to determine the authenticity of the watch you're interested in

Quote Originally Posted by Dracha View Post
    I cant read the numbers on the back but i believe this is a genuine breitling watch with a non original crown

-Rene
    I don't believe that crown is original but it is an authentic Emergency crown. It's EXACTLY like the one on my E.

Todd
    BROKER

Breitling Forum Moderator O2AFAC67's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paijo View Post
    Thanks a lot.
    Probably an early model "Antares" based on the 0-100 outer dial shelf. Definitely a caliber B10 as used in the Antares, Gent's J-class, Wings Automatic and current Cockpit. If an Antares, the model numer would be on the piece would be B10047 and in the early 90's the list price on strap was $1500 USD (1991). I'm in agreement with SnapIt and our other members regarding authenticity and incorrect crown. I also suspect a mid to late 80's time frame for the piece pictured. BUSA may or may not have a replacement dial for the watch but a full service will still be well over $300 for the piece, possibly as much as 5 to 6 hundred dollars. If you can verify model number, Mark and Teresa Heist may be able to restore the piece for you also but the cost is still well into the hundreds of dollars. If the watch is working right now and reasonably accurate (losing or gaining perhaps no more than 10-20 seconds/day), holds a complete winding (30-40 turns keeps it running for approx 40 hours) as well as keeps running while wearing 8 hours a day, the fair resale value is probably a couple of hundred dollars at least. This of course based on the presumption there is no provenance (history, papers) available. Intrinsic value is of course subjective as some owners regard the "vintage" aspect of such a piece as being more valuable. If the watch is not working properly and you are not concerned with intrinsic or resale value, I would suggest having a qualified watchmaker (not necessarily a Breitling authorized service center) provide a repair estimate for you. The watch may still end up being a "bitser" but what are you wanting to do with the piece? Your acquisitioin, your choices. Hope this helps...
    Cheers,
    Ron

" The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea "

Click to view: 500px Photo Gallery "Flow" or... Gallery or... Breitling Pics Slideshow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information