Can anyone identify this Breitling?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Can anyone identify this Breitling?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Can anyone identify this Breitling?

I was at an AD today and i saw and tried on the attached pictured watch (sorry for the quality - it was so hard to get a clear pic). I can't for the life of me find reference to it online though. The closest i can find is a super rare Limited Edition, and it is almost identical but clearly not the same watch. I really liked it. Can anyone help? i never bothered to take note of the model number because I was busy looking at so many other watches and I just assumed i'd track this one down in a heartbeat once I got home from the pic but to no avail...

Name:  IMAG0899-20170527-190304905.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  1.03 MBName:  IMAG0900-20170527-190251730.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  1,019.9 KB

Re: Can anyone identify this Breitling?

This has to be some kind of a limited edition of the Avenger Blackbird 44. Never seen a textured or pattern dial on the Blackbird before. Cool!

Aiming to retire with a Patek Philippe Nautilus (5711/1A-010) & Richard Lange (232.025)

Dial is Carbon Fiber

They want $5400 for it. It is amazing. I can't stop thinking about it. BUT, it appears to be basically a totally unidentifiable watch which probably has an atrocious resale value! Is this typical for Breitling? Limited edition is great, but if you can't find any reference to it online it's basically a five thousand dollar ghost watch - no?

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

My guess
    Breiting Avenger II Seawolf Black Steel LE

See here: Breitling avenger II seawolf blacksteel limited edition SUPER RARE

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 255
Size:  147.3 KB
    Kind regards
    Mike
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    My guess
    Breiting Avenger II Seawolf Black Steel LE

See here: Breitling avenger II seawolf blacksteel limited edition SUPER RARE
    Thanks, but I saw that one. It is not the same. Depth rating not same (not even close), and outline color around date window is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambull View Post
    They want $5400 for it. It is amazing. I can't stop thinking about it. BUT, it appears to be basically a totally unidentifiable watch which probably has an atrocious resale value! Is this typical for Breitling? Limited edition is great, but if you can't find any reference to it online it's basically a five thousand dollar ghost watch - no?
    Let me share my thought process on this one... the moment you are foray into >$5000 mark, I would skip the Breitling brand (no matter how rare or limited edition the watch is) and start exploring higher end brands with more value proposition. Per value theory, economic value is measured by the most someone is willing to pay. At the end of the day that Breitling comes with a generic movement with a carbon fiber dial and blackened case on a strap. I understand this is the Breitling Sub forum and I may get some flak but it still does not make me wrong.

Anyways, this is my .02.
    salmaan1183 likes this.

Aiming to retire with a Patek Philippe Nautilus (5711/1A-010) & Richard Lange (232.025)

Watches are like cars at this point IMHO. Case in point, I saw a beautiful Rolex at Costco yesterday for around 7K, at the AD it is closer to 12K. You can find them on Craigslist for about half retail on any given day. No brand is immune to this because watches in general are in freefall because younger people see little value in them. I think it is all about personal preference at this point, a high end watch is a bad investment 99.9% of the time and you buy what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by raja_3012 View Post
    Let me share my thought process on this one... the moment you are foray into >$5000 mark, I would skip the Breitling brand (no matter how rare or limited edition the watch is) and start exploring higher end brands with more value proposition. Per value theory, economic value is measured by the most someone is willing to pay. At the end of the day that Breitling comes with a generic movement with a carbon fiber dial and blackened case on a strap. I understand this is the Breitling Sub forum and I may get some flak but it still does not make me wrong.

Anyways, this is my .02.

Quote Originally Posted by superpop View Post
    Watches are like cars at this point IMHO. Case in point, I saw a beautiful Rolex at Costco yesterday for around 7K, at the AD it is closer to 12K. You can find them on Craigslist for about half retail on any given day. No brand is immune to this because watches in general are in freefall because younger people see little value in them. I think it is all about personal preference at this point, a high end watch is a bad investment 99.9% of the time and you buy what you like.
    Watches bought brand new from a dealership behaves like a car. I agree to it. However, a car irrespective of the brand is a deprecating liability. Certain watch brands like Rolex, Patek or Audemars bought pre owned are not a depreciating liability or experience a free fall bought at pre owned prices. I cannot believe there can ever be a 5K price difference between a Rolex at an AD and Costco. I do sometimes see Rolexes at my local Costco and the price difference is never at that level. Request you to share links of Rolexes being sold at half the retail on Craigslist assuming you have verified their authenticity.

And I don't think the discussion was about investment. It was about value proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by raja_3012 View Post

Anyways, this is my .02.
    i think you offer great advice.

I called the AD early this morning and told them that the watch has been calling to me since I tried it on, and that if they could offer a certain discount i'd come pick it up. The manager called the owner for permission but came back with a counteroffer instead. I told him that I am stuck at my offer and he told me thanks but no thanks, and then we parted ways. Not long after that is when I saw your post and you are so right. Once i start approaching the 5K mark it just doesn't make sense to buy this watch. I'm glad they turned down my offer.

I have been itching since I started this hobby for a PVD/DLC/Black-metal-whatever type watch and nothing seems to meet what i am looking for outside of Panerai (but I just can't seem to get to a place where I am comfortable enough to drop 6-8K on a watch, nevermind even wear such an expensive watch out in public). Quite frustrating. This breitling was the first watch to give me wood in that realm of a style, but you are right that it doesn't make sense to drop so much money on this watch.

Appreciate the post.
    Last edited by CMSgt Bo; May 29th, 2017 at 16:48. Reason: removed discount specifics - please read our stickies

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information