Colt resale value
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By raja_3012

Thread: Colt resale value

Colt resale value

I'm thinking of spending approx. £3k on a Colt for my 40th, and will be giving to my eldest son on his 18th, which will be in 14 years.

At that point it will be up to him to keep or sell it, but I have no idea what a 14 year old is likely to be worth?

Presumably more than a Tag of similar purchase price?

Re: Colt resale value

This is a very tricky question. In short... nobody knows. However, from a pure quantitative standpoint in the secondary market and depending on the model & condition, I have seen Colt automatics go as low as $1000 and as high as $2200. On average, most of them are in the range of $1400-1600.

You have 2 aspects in your choice of Colt... your interest in the watch and its long term residual value. Interest in something cannot be quantified so not gonna advice on that. However, if resale is very important for you, then you are looking in to a wrong brand. Only 1-2 brands have stood the test of time in terms of resale. Rolex and Patek Phillipe. Breitling's are notorious for a substantial loss in value if bought new.

Hope this helps!
    countingseconds likes this.

Aiming to retire with a Patek Philippe Nautilus (5711/1A-010) & Richard Lange (232.025)

[QUOTE=raja_3012;43591839]This is a very tricky question. In short... nobody knows. However, from a pure quantitative standpoint in the secondary market and depending on the model & condition, I have seen Colt automatics go as low as $1000 and as high as $2200. On average, most of them are in the range of $1400

Yes that does help, thank you. I want a watch that I like but will also be worth something in 14 years, even if only £1k or something. Don't mind it losing value as long as it is worth something further down the line.

IMO, 75% OF MSRP, depending upon condition.

yeah condition would be the only concern being held for that long period of time. I would assume if you had an older style watch that was flawless that many years from now, it could be excellent value to sell. If it looks like 14 years of abuse, then the story will always change of course. I would get him something that means something to both of you, that he wouldn't really want to sell. I ve never made money on a watch I've bought and owned lol.

There is a site that estimates values. Don't want to break any rules by posting links

PM me and I'll give it to you

Cheers!
    Free beer tomorrow!

Look at 14 year old Colts today. They are quite small, but still go for £1,100-£1,300 from a reputable dealer. New, they were way less than £1,000. However, selling privately on eBay you may only achieve £750-800. So you won't quite get to 100% of resale value but look after it, and keep all the bits, and you'll get close.

Of more concern is that the smaller size of the older Colts - 38-39mm is not back "in" as people return to more conventionally sized watches Today's Colts are pretty big and chunky, and you take a risk that in 14 years' time they are at the bottom of the fashion curve.

Have you considered an older Colt from the 1990s or 2000s? That will more than hold its value if you look after it and they will last a long time.

Thread Information