I am really disappointed....
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: I am really disappointed....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I am really disappointed....

I have been a Breitling owner (BFB Motors) for about 6 years now, and have recently been dealing with BUSA.

Some quick history...when I first purchased the watch 6 years ago from an AD, it had been in a display case and had a few very light handling marks on it...nothing major, probably could have been hand polished out. But AD said for that kind of money it should be polished by BUSA. So the AD sent it back to BUSA. BUSA has informed me that they indeed have records of that service. It was returned to me after that service and seemed like a new watch.

Fast forward to the present. I pulled the watch out of my safe to go to a formal dinner about 2 months ago, up to that point the watch had been in my safe- untouched- for almost 3 years. The watch suddenly would not wind or move, so I went ahead and sent it in to see what was wrong.

A week or so later, BUSA sends my written analysis and thats where my disappointment starts. Analysis stated watch had a scratched crystal, scratched bracelet, dirty movement, non-functioning movement, dirty dial, scratched dial, scratched hands, and scratched pusher.

Yes, many of you are probably saying...well, what do you expect after 6 years? But I will finish. This watch has been worn a TOTAL of 1 time, for about a total of 2 hours, to a funeral. The watch was never dropped, hit, bumped, nothing. Outside of those 2 hours, it was kept in a sealed case, in my safe for 99.9% of the time. Climate controlled..for 6 years. Matter of fact, it still has the protective plastic on the back.

I have 12 watches, and I am ultra OCD about protecting them, whether while wearing them or storing them. The watch, to my 20/20 vision was as perfect as it can be on the outside. But really, lets forget the outside of the watch. Lets pretend I bumped it, and put some scratches on it. What about the inside analysis??

My major disappointment? Well, its because CS at BUSA keeps telling me I should expect that "described analysis" condition for a watch thats 6 years old. The fact is...BUSA is the only person who has touched the watch service wise...if the dial is scratched, movement dirty, etc...then it left THEIR facility that way when they either manufactured it or polished it when it went back for service as outlined in the first paragraph above.

If I left it in a dusty workshop for 6 years, threw it around on a table.. OK you might convince me..MAYBE, that dirt somehow worked its way into the movement, the dial was scratched, and the hands were scratched, etc. But in a sealed case, in my sealed safe? Um, no.

Its not really about the money to fix it- 1180.00 to service BTW- its the fact that I'm being told this condition is normal, when the actual fact is the watch has really never been worn, period.

Am I being unrealistic here?
    Last edited by blkz06; 2 Weeks Ago at 20:46. Reason: Clarity

Re: I am really disappointed....

I can see some of the things if it has one scratch on it they will put that down for the pusher and the bracelet but I agree dirty movement, dirty dial, scratched dial, scratched hands being crazy. What was all on the replacement list for $1180? My guess is $850 for the standard service + what else?

Wow. I'd be asking a lot more questions. And then I'd be asking for a sit down meeting with the manager.

I hope you have a happy ending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bovie View Post
    I can see some of the things if it has one scratch on it they will put that down for the pusher and the bracelet but I agree dirty movement, dirty dial, scratched dial, scratched hands being crazy. What was all on the replacement list for $1180? My guess is $850 for the standard service + what else?
    850 to service, 300 for new sapphire crystal, 30 to ship via UPS. Which I'm told will not insure for full replacement value, BTW.

The most disappointing thing to me about this story is that your Breitling was only worn once in six years...

Seriously, though, I think your energies are misplaced here. It is absolutely routine to have micro-scratches noted when watches are sent in for service (from any manufacturer). In my experience, these kinds of assessments cover things that are not apparent when looking at the watch with the naked eye. I have received reports like that when my watches are sent for service -- despite the fact that the watches may look perfectly fine to me. Manufacturers are, understandably, extremely conservative on this -- but it does not necessarily mean that there is anything to be concerned about.

The fact is, your watch is at a point time-wise, where it would be due for a service anyway -- it is six years old, and may have been sitting around for a while even before it was sold to you. So, the fact that it needs a service is hardly surprising, and has to do with the mechanical aspects of the watch (and the fact that the lubricants may well have dried up) -- not the cosmetics.

If there is some aspect to the cosmetics that bothers you, then you should address it. But, it sounds like you are happy with the cosmetic condition of your watch. I would take the "condition upon receipt" assessment for what it is, and not let that become a major source of concern.

Good luck!
    O2AFAC67 and noregrets like this.

Why would you own a watch and wear it once?!?!

That aside, not fun to be in this situation, sounds like they just want to squeeze money out of you. Not cool when companies mistreat their customers

Quote Originally Posted by Toothbras View Post
    Why would you own a watch and wear it once?!?!

That aside, not fun to be in this situation, sounds like they just want to squeeze money out of you. Not cool when companies mistreat their customers
    Unfortunately, the one time I wore it was to my mothers funeral. She was with my wife and I when I picked out the watch, so after I wore it to her funeral I didnt have a lot of excitement to wear it for awhile. days turn to months..yada yada.

Personal, I know. But theres a reason.
    Last edited by blkz06; 2 Weeks Ago at 20:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmaster View Post
    The most disappointing thing to me about this story is that your Breitling was only worn once in six years...

Seriously, though, I think your energies are misplaced here. It is absolutely routine to have micro-scratches noted when watches are sent in for service (from any manufacturer). In my experience, these kinds of assessments cover things that are not apparent when looking at the watch with the naked eye. I have received reports like that when my watches are sent for service -- despite the fact that the watches may look perfectly fine to me. Manufacturers are, understandably, extremely conservative on this -- but it does not necessarily mean that there is anything to be concerned about.

The fact is, your watch is at a point time-wise, where it would be due for a service anyway -- it is six years old, and may have been sitting around for a while even before it was sold to you. So, the fact that it needs a service is hardly surprising, and has to do with the mechanical aspects of the watch (and the fact that the lubricants may well have dried up) -- not the cosmetics.

If there is some aspect to the cosmetics that bothers you, then you should address it. But, it sounds like you are happy with the cosmetic condition of your watch. I would take the "condition upon receipt" assessment for what it is, and not let that become a major source of concern.

Good luck!
    No argument on micro scratches on the case, bracelet, and possibly sapphire.

But, you are telling me- also- that its completely normal for a watch thats not been worn to have a scratched internal dial, scratched hands, and dirt in the movement?

And I am on the fence about servicing auto winders. I have seen guys with autos go 8-10 years without servicing, and a few were worn daily. No ill effects, and they keep time the same as they did when they were new.

My every day work watch is a TAG Carrera....its 7 years old and has basically been bulletproof. It keeps time almost to the 1/2 second and has never been serviced. The TAG shop told me they would prefer to see it at least lubricated, but if its mechanically fine theres no need to spend the money until I see a problem in performance.
    Last edited by blkz06; 2 Weeks Ago at 20:45.

Quote Originally Posted by blkz06 View Post
    Unfortunately, the one time I wore it was to my mothers funeral. She was with my wife and I when I picked out the watch, so after I wore it to her funeral I didnt have a lot of excitement to wear it for awhile. days turn to months..yada yada.

Personal, I know. But theres a reason.
    I get it, makes total sense, sorry for the loss of your mom

Well the service fee is normal. Do the service and refuse the crystal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast