Thread: Navitimer help

Navitimer help

I sure could use some help with this. I read the instruction's that came with my Navitimer about how you set the time and date. The book says to run the hands past 12 then back to 8 and so on to set the date. Is it better to buy a watch winder and keep the watch running or, since I will not be using this watch very often, just do as the book says as necessary. It just feels wrong to be running the watch backwards. I would be very grateful for the opinion's of those with experience concerning these watches.
    Thanks in advance, Frank
    "Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass....
    it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Re: Navitimer help

My opinion would be to keep it on a winder if you wear the watch atleast once a week or so. If it's just once a month then set the date when you need to.

For some of my watches that I wear infrequently I don't set the date if I go out to, say, a function. I just set the time.........

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

Hello,

I don't know where one gets the idea that reversing the direction of the hands will somehow damage the movement. The instructions you were provided with are not generic off the web instructions. They were provided by the manufacturer that produces in excess of 150,000 units per year. They know what they are talking about. A slow date movement, one that requires the cycling between 8pm and 12 to 1pm to change the date is capable of being manipulated in this manner on a regular basis. Its less stress then grinding forward for 60 revs (30 x 24 /12 =60cycles in 30 days)of the hour hand to adjust one day back in a 31day calender cycle. The gears, teeth, bearings, stem and crown are quite capable of this duty. If not our forum would be flooded with posts about how ones watch went kafoops when adjusting the date. This hasn't happened. Not in five years on this forum. As for it "feeling wrong", the geared wheels are round, what is the issue? You reverse park your car, don't you? I trust this helps and was not intended to sound like a lecture if it comes across like that. Not my intention.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

Sorry I asked such a dumb question. I won't bother you again.
    Frank
    "Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass....
    it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by helderberg View Post
    Sorry I asked such a dumb question. I won't bother you again.
    Frank
    It's a valid question and sometimes the simple task of reading the manual will answer those. The manual is the source I usually go to first to find out an answer. After that, if I still can't find it, I ask the all knowing sources here. Your always welcome and we have enjoyed your posts so keep plugging away.

Todd
    BROKER
    Sales Corner & Breitling Moderator

And if you have the extra money, the winder is always the perfect way to go.

Todd
    BROKER

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

There are no dumb questions here!! As I said it was not my intention to come across as lecturing, it just seems to work out that way when the answer goes down on screen some times and I don't have time to rewrite into a more passive syntax. I appologise if you feel that I have been short with you.

And I agree with brokerrookie, a winder is a great way to keep your auto running when other watches in your collection are getting wrist time.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

And get a minimum of a 4 slot winder because inevitably you will fill all of the slots with automatic watches. Better to have an empty winding spot than need one.

Todd
    BROKER

Quote Originally Posted by brokerrookie View Post
    And get a minimum of a 4 slot winder because inevitably you will fill all of the slots with automatic watches. Better to have an empty winding spot than need one.

Todd
    now, now Todd...you are setting the poor fellow up for a lifetime of agony and misery. that open winder slot will simply haunt him until he fills its space.

that's what happened to me.

Thread Information