WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

New model: Colt Skyracer

40K views 100 replies 60 participants last post by  Flip2Grail 
#1 ·
Got an email on this new model today: COLT SKYRACER - Breitling - Instruments for Professionals

Watch Analog watch Black Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Perfect timing as I'm looking for a SQ powered analog. I like the looks, no idea on price though - I emailed my usual provider and they are contacting their Breitling rep. Any thoughts from the group? I'm no Breitling expert, have only owned an Aerospace in the past. Curious about experiences with "Breitlight"? I like the darker, mottled look and supposedly lighter than titanium. How are other Breitlight models holding up? Also interesting to see the measurement scale on the strap, like you could use it as a ruler.

Cheers,
John

See less See more
#37 ·
I asked this question on another thread, am I the only one that finds it weird that they put a dive bezel on a skyracer. I mean wouldn't a 24 hour or a tach on the bezel be more appropriate? Shouldn't the bezel be bi-directional? Just saying it has more of a dive watch look to it and the band would even be a plus for that application. What I also find strange is the WR. Breitling is usually pretty good with their WR. Would hope this new light case would have also provided better WR than 100M.

Like the size, weight, band, look, event the price; WR knocked it off my list.

#42 ·
The concern for me would be that it might prove difficult, or impossible, to deal with any damage to the polymer. I've become quite good at restoring my SS watches (through MUCH practice) when they have little scuffs, scratches and scrapes. And from the pictures people have posted, I'm not sure I like the appearance. But the material in-and-of itself being a "plastic" wouldn't be a deal-breaker. It's not like stainless steel is some kind of precious commodity.

#43 ·
I fell in love with the style and idea of this watch, in large part due to the case material (I really love the Hurricane, but it's more than I can justify today). I called my local AD, they are bringing one in for me to check out next week. The person I talked to said they watch will take regular Breitling straps (such as the 22mm OEM straps I already have), it just didn't look like the regular or un-modded straps would fit based on the photos of the lugs in this thread.

So I called the boutique in Vegas and talked with the salesperson I've dealt with before, she tells me that it will not take regular straps, and will only accept the rubber one shown in the marketing photos. She did say that a nato style should work no problem, and that they are expecting a range of new straps for it to start trickling in around September. Similar to what someone else said earlier, if this would take regular straps, I would have bought it today. I just do not like the look of the measuring tape one. If this had the canvas strap, or would take the two canvas straps I have already, I'd have ordered it. Such a bummer, I don't enjoy waiting.

#44 ·
AUD$2,770.00 seems reasonable, but it is a Quartz model.

#52 ·
I have zero interest in this type of watch, but it's certain to appeal greatly to some.

• Polymer case = no corrosion, temperature resistance and 1/3 the weight of titanium
  • Quick swapping straps, no tools required
  • Awesome accuracy, not just COSC, but 10 seconds per YEAR accuracy with 8 year battery life
  • SuperLuminova that doesn't just show indices but the actual numbers

Again, not my cut of tea, but probably a great watch for anyone desiring those features.

#55 ·
Tried this watch on recently as the AD was right outside my elevator in Vegas. I really enjoyed it quite a bit. Price is decent enough for what it is, but I am curious to see what grey/pre-owned look like in the near future. For me the dial lacked a little bit of depth due to it being entirely flat; applied indices would look great, but they would probably add some sort of weight and one of the things about this watch is it's extreme light-weight.

It is 45mm, but I wear mostly 41-43mm watches and it didn't look much bigger than my Rolex Exp2 when I held them side by side. To be honest, I thought it was a 43 in the store before looking it up online. I'm sure the weight helps with this illusion as well.

I'm not bothered by the dive-style bezel, WR, or straps enough to take it off my list, but I would have preferred a standard strap attachment type. Ultimately, I will wait to see what sorts of other strap variations breitling releases for this watch. I've heard about a military green color which sounds great. A nylon or canvas would be ideal as the 21mm lug width is not ideal for most natos (the gap on a 20 would bug me).

#56 ·
Ben Bridge in Seattle (an AD) tells me that Breitling will be releasing an OD green rubber strap with the same measurement markings in the next month or two. Looking at the strap, it's obvious that the metal pins that slide through the strap to make it quick disconnect from the case can be put into another strap. Comparing the strap fitment with a leather Hirsch I had on my wrist at the time, I concluded that you "can" attach a regular strap to the watch, but the little arm/hook shaped things that extend inward between the lugs prevent the strap from lying flat on the wrist. You would need to cut indentations in the back (underside) of the watch strap to make it fit flat. If you look at the underside of the Colt Skyracer strap, you'll see the cuts I'm talking about. Basically, you could have a strap made to fit it, or you could use a NATO, which would fit right through it without any issue (we tried it with one of the Tudor NATO's). By the way, the Tudor NATO in camo looks really good on that Breitling in my opinion, and the fit is close enough not to really notice that the strap isn't 21mm.

Hopefully Breitling will come out with more straps for this watch, I can't imagine they would make a proprietary strap design for only one watch and not make several straps. All that said, aside from the measurements on the strap (which are useless to me personally), it's a really nice strap and the buckle is great too. I'd love this on a regular Breitling rubber, but would love it even more if they took regular 22mm straps and spring bars.

#58 ·
Almost bought this, didn't like the "ruler" straps, but the main thing was the weight, or rather the lack of it. I know it is super durable and all that high tech material, but frankly, it felt too light and flimsy.

But this is just me, I prefer steel over anything. Weight feels like quality. Love the looks though.

#61 · (Edited)
I also bid on one last week on Ebay and just missed it. It sold for $1500

The lack of weight is what I am impressed by. I don't think the watch feels flimsy at all, unless you mean the straps feel flimsy while you are holding the watch then I can see what you mean, but once the watch is on and the straps are properly seated its not going anywhere. When I visited the AD, I was really impressed with the Avenger Hurricane Military but it was just too large even though it was very light. Then they showed me the Skyracer and I really liked it. Is it worth the $2000.... hmm, I"m not quite sure on that but I would love to hear from anyone that knows how they are selling. The 3 AD that I visited said they can't keep them in stock but we all know how that goes.....

#64 · (Edited)
Technology has moved forward and the advances in polymer allows to replace metal in some circumstances. My experience is based on the Luminox 3000 v. 3 series I have. Yes they have some reported problems with the Ronda movement (mine has been perfect) but the case which is polymer is outstanding. It has been banged and dropped and all the damage that a watch can come across and not a scratch or mark on the case. To be honest I can rarely wear a watch over 100 grams now. The Luminox fits perfect and I got spoiled by the lightweight as well. I think they are definitely overpriced but I like it a lot. I looked in depth at the Skyracer and like the hands and the numerals and easy to tell time, long life Lithium battery (stable over wide temperature range) along with coated sapphire on Both Sides (not many manufacturers know how to do that). However I just can't get passed the proprietary lug design. It has to be one of the most disliked feature on these forums. Unless is a G-Shock which has a purpose to meet.

#65 ·
I can understand the not liking of the lug design because I just had a phobia of the small polymer tabs breaking off. I'm thinking it's non issue but yes I was taken back a bit myself. Sort of "why invent the wheel". That being said, changing Breitlight straps is going to be so fast that I hope they build more and more options. I always think how good the Panerai guys have it for strap customization.
I am in the minority but I like the "tool" functionality and feel of the rubber strap. It will also take a NATO with ease so for me at least this SkyRacer is ticking a lot of boxes.

#71 ·
This watch has caught my interest since I saw it for the first time on a watch review on y-tube. Then I loved it even more when I found it at an AD in Macau. I really wished it came with a big variety of strap colors, not just back and green. Changing the strap is so easy, it's begging to have more options, even a leather one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.