removing the back case of the Chronospace? Help

Thread: removing the back case of the Chronospace? Help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hello i am looking to replace the batteries.
    do i need to buy a special case opener ...like the key one with 15 flats? does anyone have experience with this please?
    let me know how you removed the case ...much appreciated.
    where can i buy the tool? e bay. any ref. will be appreciated. thank you.
    i was a little reluctant to pay $ 300 for batteries replacement..i don t wear the watch under water.

Re: removing the back case of the Chronospace? Help

Bad idea. Plain and simple.

Those case removal tools do not work properly and will damage the watch.

This is a luxury watch so treat it like one. Send it back to Breitling and Pay the $190 to have the battery service done. This is not a $20 Casio. Your watch will not only get a new battery, but new gaskets, water pressure test and movement rate regulation. Plus you will get a 1 year warranty on the intervention.

thanks...i have already..but i am still looking for info on how to remove the case.
    long story short.
    i have had the watch for 6 or 7 years..i don t go in the water..with it..i have plenty of watches for that. so i just want a battery replaced . also they are arguing that it needs a pusher replaced...apparently slightly bent. Which seems fine to me .
    So i asked breathing to just replace the battery and ignore the pusher. but they want to do all or nothing for 600 dollars.
    So i said forget it, i will replace the battery myself.
    i never dropped the watched or banged it..etc i cannot see how a pusher is bent. but anyway for 600 dollars i will replace the battery myself, like i said i don't go in the water with the watch, and actually wear it twice a month.

i ask breitling/ not breathing sorry.

Sell the watch and buy a Citizen Eco Drive or a Casio G Shock that would give you years of dependable service for a fraction of the cost.

Sure, you will be sacrificing aesthetics and finish quality, among others, but those are watches designed to be thrown away when they stop working after 15-20 years. Just go out and buy a new one for $200-$300 and you are good to go for another 2 decades.

Sorry but this watch is not for you. $600 is a drop in the bucket to properly maintain a watch whose market value hovers between $2500 and $3500.

These watches do not like DIY battery jobs.
    Last edited by Avantgardetime17; March 30th, 2017 at 17:39.

If your Chronospace is 7-8 years old, the movement is already in need of a full overhaul. The quoted price of $600 is in line with the cost of this intervention. Believe it or not, the caliber 78 module inside your watch has metallic gear trains and lubrication points just as any mechanical watch. As your car requires maintenance and oil changes, your watch requires those as well.

Fine machines demand more maintenance and therefore this has to be accounted for in the overall cost of ownership. Most people don't realize the true cost that comes with the ownership of luxury timepieces, be it mechanical or Quartz.

By just replacing the battery, you are just perpetuating underlying problems that may exist in the movement and needlessly increasing wear and tear. You may think you are saving money by skipping on the $600 service and just replacing the battery but actually you are not and in the short haul that $600 maintenance bill will become $1200+ to fit a brand new movement.

Obviously the choice is yours but it does bother me when people has this cheap attitude toward maintaining their multi thousand dollar watches.

Ok rant over. Good luck to you
    Last edited by Avantgardetime17; March 30th, 2017 at 17:40.

Holly , i am asking for tips to remove the case. i am not asking for you to tell me what to do and what i should do with my money.
    if you don t have any tips on the question i asked ...then don t post. do you guys work for Breitling?
    like i said i was ready to do the battery change at 300 dollars..but i don't want to change a functioning pusher for another 300.
    they won t just do the batteries. why do they care and why do you guys care. It s my money. So they won't do it so i will do it myself.
    it s not rocket science. i undertand the service, but being a quartz, i am not too worried about the rest..

600 dollars is a joke. i am not paying that.

ok, I am going to make some enemies over this but it can be done. I have not done this to one of my Breitlings but I did on an old beater that had a weird screw on back configuration. I will not be responsible for any damage you do to the watch in any way or fashion. I cleaned the back with rubbing alcohol and then super glued a small steel nut to the center of the back. Once set up you c an use a small wrench to remove and reinstall the back. To get the nut off of the back, hold the watch with the back facing down and use a cotton swab soaked in acetone to apply to the nut. Be sure not to let any acetone get on the side of the back or it may seep in and ruin the watch. It worked great for me but if it had not I was not going to be out any money. Remember, if you do this I take no responsibility for any damage you may o t a excellent watch.

hhaha funny method. No worries i won't blame you.
    I was thinking of buying the tool..to remove the case.but i am not sure of the size. they sell them on ebay.
    But Thanks.

Ok so for the one who want to change the battery themselves, at your own risk of course. It's not rocket science as you would think from the posts above.
    you can buy the case opener tool die from ebay or other specialized places..in the $80. the chronospace takes a size 42.5 mm 15 flats.
    undo the bracelet/watch strap, put the die and turn it counter clockwise, remove the back case and then the watch back cover...the battery is right there. 3v lithium cr2320 Brand: RENATA swiss made. you can buy the exact same batty at the watch store for $ 6.95. pop it in , check you r seal...for tear and wear..if you are worried about waterproofing...put the cover back on and then the back case..tighten with same amount of torque and you are done.
    pic to follow. cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information