Repair question for the experts
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gtopaul
  • 1 Post By gtopaul

Thread: Repair question for the experts

Repair question for the experts

A relative retired from the Air Force. He was assigned at the Top Gun school in the 90's, where he bought a Breitling with the Top Gun logo on the dial. The watch stopped working, years ago, and he sent it to Breitling through an AD. Breitling said, "sorry, we don't have parts, but we'll give you a deal on a replacement".

I have a pic but can't post while traveling. I think the watch is an Aerospace, but the name doesn't show anywhere. The model looks like A51035. It's a quartz movement with the window display, as well as, the three hands.

Anyone have an idea how to repair this thing? The watch looks in nice condition and has his initials on it.

Re: Repair question for the experts

Quote Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
    A relative retired from the Air Force. He was assigned at the Top Gun school in the 90's, where he bought a Breitling with the Top Gun logo on the dial. The watch stopped working, years ago, and he sent it to Breitling through an AD. Breitling said, "sorry, we don't have parts, but we'll give you a deal on a replacement".

I have a pic but can't post while traveling. I think the watch is an Aerospace, but the name doesn't show anywhere. The model looks like A51035. It's a quartz movement with the window display, as well as, the three hands.

Anyone have an idea how to repair this thing? The watch looks in nice condition and has his initials on it.
    That's a Breitling Intruder with the Miyota Y652 movement. You are correct that Breitling doesn't support them any longer. You can still have it repaired by finding a used replacement movement from a Seiko, Pulsar, Phasar, or others, and have watchmaker swap the movements. Cost should be between $5 (yes I have bought them for that) and $100. The display looks just like the Intruder so they're easy to identify. That being said, I've never seen a pic of an Intruder with the Top Gun logo so how about a pic? Top Gun is a Navy organization but Air Force pilots do sometimes get a slot.

Quote Originally Posted by gtopaul View Post
    That's a Breitling Intruder with the Miyota Y652 movement. You are correct that Breitling doesn't support them any longer. You can still have it repaired by finding a used replacement movement from a Seiko, Pulsar, Phasar, or others, and have watchmaker swap the movements. Cost should be between $5 (yes I have bought them for that) and $100. The display looks just like the Intruder so they're easy to identify. That being said, I've never seen a pic of an Intruder with the Top Gun logo so how about a pic? Top Gun is a Navy organization but Air Force pilots do sometimes get a slot.
    p

He might have been the liaison, who then went through the program. I'm traveling home from a Jackson Hole vacation and will try to post the pic when back in town.

The Miyota was being used way back in the 90's?

Quote Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
    p

He might have been the liaison, who then went through the program. I'm traveling home from a Jackson Hole vacation and will try to post the pic when back in town.

The Miyota was being used way back in the 90's?
    Yes, back to the late 1980's. The previous Swiss ESA quartz version was a disaster so Breitling went to the Japanese for a reliable and accurate movement. This one is on ebay at the moment: Mens Pulsar Ani-Digital 1970's watch 7 " band new battery NICE Chrono Y652-5310 Really only need to ask the seller if the backlight and chime/alarm works (they often don't know how to check though).
    Last edited by gtopaul; 1 Week Ago at 02:19.
    slcbbrown likes this.

I'm in Fort Worth and I'll send you a note on a local guy who may be able to help.

Thread Information