Sinn 903 vs Breitling Navitimer - Page 3
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Sinn 903 vs Breitling Navitimer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Sinn 903 vs Breitling Navitimer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Koerfgen View Post
    With respect to Sinn collecting fees from Breitling for Navitimers, this is the first I hear and I consider it highly unlikely.

The history was as follows:
    1. In 1978 the original Breitling Company was dissolved and the remaining workforce laid off as, like many other Swiss watch companies, Breitling found it difficult to compete against Asian quartz watches. Shortly afterwards Willy Breitling, the last owner, passed away, effectively ending the era where the company was controlled by a member of the Breitling family.

2. Breitling and Navitimer names, remaining part-assembled watches and watch parts were sold off during the liquidation.
    Ernest Schneider, owner of the lesser known Sicura watch company, bought in 1979 the rights to the "Navitimer" and Breitling" name.
    Part-assembled watches and parts where bought among others by Sinn and Ollech & Wajs, who continued to assemble and- in Sinn's case - further develop the watch, but could use neither the "Navitimer" nor "Breitling" name that was now owned by Ernest Schneider.

3. The new Breitling company under Ernest Schneider relocated and resumed production in Grenchen, Switzerland, successfully adapting to the quartz age and at the same time re-introducing models like the venerable Navitimer, relying extensively on Valjoux 7750 movements before more recently introducing Breitling movements.

Before I further discuss the rather outlandish claim that Sinn collects fees from Breitling, I would thus like to see some supporting evidence as there is as far as I know nothing in the Breitling history to support this claim.

K.
    I had heard somewhere that when Breitling went into meltdown back in the day, they sold rights for the Navitimer design to Sinn and at least one other maker I know of, Aviation. Apparently it wasn't exclusive rights.

I knew I'd seen a quite extensive comparison between the Sinn & Breitling models and I found it:

TimeZone : Public Forum Archive » Breitling Navitimer & Sinn 903 H2 ? Photo Comparative Review (modem warning)

I bought my Sinn "Navitmer" a number of years ago mainly because of the price differential. I found an overseas on-line vendor with a killer price - Collectorstime.com (Thank you, Zeetan!)
    Hidden Content
    Vulcain "Nautique" - 1st Swiss/1967 * Seiko 5 "Speed Timer" 1st Auto Chrono - Bought on the Ginza in Tokyo/1969 * Modern Seiko Quartz Chronos (8, I think) * Heuer * CS311 re-issue of 1963 Pre-TAG Carrera Chrono * TAG Heuer modern Carrera Chrono * Omega Speedmaster 7751 Day/Date Chrono * Baume & Mercier Formula S Chrono * Zenith "El Primero" HW Chrono * Mühle Glashütte Nautische Chronograph * Sinn 903ST “Navitimer” Chrono * Techné SparrowHawk II VK63 Chrono * Alpina Startimer Pilot Big-Date Chrono * Zodiac Sea Dragon Chrono 104/1000 * (2) Victorinox Swiss Army Infantry Vintage" Auto Chronographs (Silver & Green) * Junkers "G38" Chrono * Hamilton Pioneer Khaki Auto Chrono * Bulova Marine Star Chrono/Diver * Breitling Chronospace auto chronograph

Old thread i know but one point I don't think anyone touched on is the size. I really like the Navitimer but at a minimum 43mm it looks too big on my small 6.5" wrist. I would have to consider the 903. I would be very happy with both and considering i won't be using it for functionality but rather looks.

k.

^^^
    I too prefer the more classic size of the 903.
    In terms of the fit & finish, I don't think the Sinn is any more inferior to the Breitling---both are quite well made yet neither is on par with something like a Rolex.
    The feel, however, can be a bit different:
    with the evolution throughout the years, Navitimer starts to become 'dressy' in a way---there's a baller (or bling) quality to it.
    903 kind of stays true to its original tool watch nature. (That second crown does bother me a bit---the whole watch is already very busy, I really don't need one more element to look at...)
    Breitling-Glashütte Original-Nomos-Zenith-Omega-Tudor-IWC-Parmigiani-Rolex

One vote for the Breitling..better looks IMHO and better, longer heritage and resale value if you ever want to part ways with it.

Quote Originally Posted by michael8238 View Post
    903 kind of stays true to its original tool watch nature. (That second crown does bother me a bit---the whole watch is already very busy, I really don't need one more element to look at...)
    The second crown solution is much cheaper than the complex, geared bezel-operated slide rule - crown operation is no more complicated than an internal dive bezel - but it does mean for most wearers that it's very difficult if not impossible to operate when the watch is on the wrist. The bezel-operated slide rule is kind ofa Breitling "thing" - having been introduced nearly 80 years ago - so it's not surprising that Sinn went with something more conventional in orde to differentiate the product.

Love the history of the two. Breitling being in trouble and having to let the design go then coming back and reclaiming. This being said I would take the breitling every day, it's actually one of my grails!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information