Thoughts on this Breitling Chronomat 44 Blacksteel - Page 2
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Thoughts on this Breitling Chronomat 44 Blacksteel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Thoughts on this Breitling Chronomat 44 Blacksteel

I don't know about the longevity of the finishing, but I think the watch looks sweet.

I know nothing about the watch itself but I love the look of it. The red hands and unique colored lumens just make the watch look stellar. It's probably not a watch I would purchase myself just because I don't think it would get into the rotation. However, I can't deny that I'd love to run into one on the street.

I do do have a black watch and I'm pretty hard on mine. Different case material (Damasko) and I'm not gentle on my watches. Well mostly it's my girls who like to throw them or smack them with a spoon. At least the Damasko hasn't showed any evidence of use.

I bought a Blacksteel Avenger around 3 years ago, without doing much research about the coating. After doing my fair share of research, I couldn't wear the watch without worrying about scratching it. I sold it at a great loss within a few months of owning it. I couldn't fathom paying so much for a watch, that would cost quite a bit to have recoated after enough wear and tear.
    I don't want to persuade you otherwise, if you're very set on this particular piece. I would just personally never buy another, even though they are very attractive.
    Name:  BS1.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  35.2 KBName:  BS3.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  86.7 KBName:  BS6.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  114.2 KBName:  BS7.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  147.6 KB
    patton250 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by minoli View Post
    I bought a Blacksteel Avenger around 3 years ago, without doing much research about the coating. After doing my fair share of research, I couldn't wear the watch without worrying about scratching it. I sold it at a great loss within a few months of owning it. I couldn't fathom paying so much for a watch, that would cost quite a bit to have recoated after enough wear and tear.
    I don't want to persuade you otherwise, if you're very set on this particular piece. I would just personally never buy another, even though they are very attractive.
    Thank you. That is exactly what I suspected. It's also exactly what I needed to hear. I don't want to have to deal with that either. What a shame though. It is a spectacular looking watch.
    MLJinAK likes this.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack."
    - General George S Patton

Morality is nothing more than expressions of people's personal taste

Thank you, yeah it was definitely hard to part ways with it.

Omega has a few black watches, which are black ceramic and are supposed to withstand more than the DLC like coating in my Breitling above. Check out the Planet Ocean - Deep Black, DSOTM Speedmaster, Black Black Speedmaster.

Thoughts on this Breitling Chronomat 44 Blacksteel

For what I have read, the DLC coatings that Breitling uses have a hardness ratting of 5,300 in the Vickers scale, making them harder than sapphire and almost as hard as diamonds due to the hydrogen free process they use.

It seems to me that while you had a valid concern about durability of the coating, your decision to unload the watch at a great loss was decidedly a bit unfounded. If anything the likelyhood of you having issues with the DLC coating of that watch were very low indeed.

I have done a some research into the matter and have yet to find accounts of failed DLC coatings on black steel and titanium carbon treated Breitling watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AvantGardeTime; September 19th, 2016 at 19:56.

Thoughts on this Breitling Chronomat 44 Blacksteel

Thank you, yeah it was definitely hard to part ways with it.

Omega has a few black watches, which are black ceramic and are supposed to withstand more than the DLC like coating in my Breitling above. Check out the Planet Ocean - Deep Black, DSOTM Speedmaster, Black Black Speedmaster.
    If you think DLC is bad, ceramic is a much worse and more expensive proposition. Ask the folks that have had the misfortune to accidentally drop their multi thousand dollar ceramic cased luxury timepieces against a tiled/hard floor just to see the cases shatter or crack or lugs completely dislodge away, requiring often a very expensive case replacement.

While ceramic sounds attractive as an option to withstand the rigors of day to day wear, it has too much potential for shattering and staggering replacement costs. I guess there is no free lunch in this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AvantGardeTime; September 19th, 2016 at 20:03.

I love this piece. It's bombastic and sinister and looks like part of a weapon system. It might not be an everyday watch, but I could definitely see myself wearing one.

As for scratches and dings... wabi, baby. It would make it look even cooler, YMMV but for me there's nothing wrong with wear and tear. Although given the provenance and Breitling build quality I suspect it would take a fair bit to compromise the DLC.
    AvantGardeTime, O2AFAC67 and Burgs like this.
    The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

I wear my SuperOcean 42 Blacksteel all the time and I do not baby my watches at all.
    The watch still looks new and there aren't any scratches on the deployment buckle either.
    I have more scratches on my fully tegimented Sinn U1 than I do on the DLC Blacksteel under similar use.

Name:  20160728_183709_zpszzyhnten.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  584.4 KB
    O2AFAC67, patton250, Burgs and 2 others like this.
    Ulysse Nardin, Tudor, Hidden Content , Eterna, Rolex, Breitling, Sinn, Omega, Ball, Zenith​, Tissot, Sea-Gull, Dievas, ​Laco, Seiko, Orient Star, Suunto

I couldn't wear the watch without worrying about scratching it.
    This is a completely foreign concept to me. I can't fathom trying to keep everything I own looking brand new.
    Honest wear, scuffs and scratches all tell a story about the watch and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    I sure as heck wouldn't sell it at a "great loss" just to avoid scuffing it.
    Last edited by JodyH; September 26th, 2016 at 03:37.
    Ulysse Nardin, Tudor, Hidden Content , Eterna, Rolex, Breitling, Sinn, Omega, Ball, Zenith​, Tissot, Sea-Gull, Dievas, ​Laco, Seiko, Orient Star, Suunto

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information