Vintage Chronomat Guidance

Thread: Vintage Chronomat Guidance

Vintage Chronomat Guidance

This is a second post because I misspelled the other and couldn't edit for some reason.

I would much appreciate some advice and guidance on where to send my grandfather's watch for evaluation and restoration.

My grandfather was a navigator on a B29 in WWII and flew a full tour (29 missions?) from Guam to Japan using his Breitling Chronomat. He is still alive and recently gave me this watch, which has been sitting on his nightstand as long as I can remember.

I would like to get a new band and wear it, but I am sure it needs some oil and whatever else old watches need. It seems to be in great condition and is all original.

Where re should I begin with making it usable?

The back serial numbers are:

Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Vintage Chronomat Guidance

Looks like a very original, and clean, piece dating to 1943. Get it serviced if you intend to wear it regularly. There are plenty of vintage watch repair shops online that can get it serviced for you. Cost will be anywhere from about $175 to $450 depending on what it needs.

It turns out I was all wrong! My grandpa still has the watch that he used as a navigator, it is a Hamilton (A11?). So now I have this great Chronomat and it origins is a mystery. It came from a box of my grandfather's things, but he says it was never his personal watch and he can't remember how he aquired it. He has a brother who was in the Corps of Engineers in the Pacific and it also could of been his B29 pilot. Does anyone know specifics as to what type of military men these watches were issued?

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

If the watch was military issue, there would be a series of engraved marks on the case back beyond the usual serial number and model number typical of Breitlings of the age. If none are present then it was most likely purchased with private funds from a PK or retail outlet. You may want to repost on the Pil Mil forum where the men in uniform frequent and opine on all and sundry that care to ask.

Pilots' & Military watches
    Last edited by SnapIT; 1 Week Ago at 00:34.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Hidden Content
    Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Hidden Content

It's not military issued but may have been used by someone in the mlilitary. Rare to see these in such nice condition. Just get it serviced at a local watchmaker and choose a new strap. Might look nice on a vintage pigskin style.

Thread Information