Why doesn't Breitling produce their blacksteel watches with matching BS bracelets?... - Page 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Why doesn't Breitling produce their blacksteel watches with matching BS bracelets?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Why doesn't Breitling produce their blacksteel watches with matching BS bracelets?...

Breitling does not refinish the DLC coating during a service. They don't polish or do anything to a DLC watch. Refinishing of those watches is expensive and outsourced so it is not included in a standard service.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Re: Why doesn't Breitling produce their blacksteel watches with matching BS bracelets?...

Quote Originally Posted by natesen View Post
    Breitling does not refinish the DLC coating during a service. They don't polish or do anything to a DLC watch. Refinishing of those watches is expensive and outsourced so it is not included in a standard service.

Interesting...thanks for the info. So I guess that you're pretty much stuck if the coating wears off on these watches then. Hmmm...maybe I can use a can of spray paint and touch up if I were to get one then. Lol

Why doesn't Breitling produce their blacksteel watches with matching BS bracelets?...

I think to say the coating wears off is misleading. Damage to the surface of the coating I think is more accurate to describe it.

No different situation than have a lug come off from a ceramic case after hitting a bathroom tile floor or putting a ding deep enough on the bezel of a untreated steel or Ti watch. All of these will warrant a new case or bezel replacement as no amount of polish can restore severe damage to an acceptable level.

Again, I have never seen complaints regarding the Breitling DLC wearing off on its own through normal use. Can it happen? Sure but if you are a desk diver or someone that is not overly rough with his watches the benefits of DLC may actually overweight its perceived negatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AvantGardeTime; September 25th, 2016 at 20:21.

Quote Originally Posted by natesen View Post

Thanks that confirms my interpretation regarding Breitling's stance with these watches.

While polishing is good and nice and often works to restore the appearance of a tattered watch, remember that polishing means taking away material from the watch. This is why sometimes certain watches keep their value better when they are left unpolished, patina and all.

I have a Super Avenger Blacksteel and I had my coating removed. It was soaked in a super concentrated solution of Hydrogen Peroxide that lifts away the DLC coating without damaging the metal beneath. You can buy a new case from Breitling for your blacksteel $$$$. In order to recoat the part would need to be perfect as any imperfections would stand out more after the coating is applied, that is directly from the CEO of the company that does the coating for Breitling. I had Jack at IWW do the work to get the coating removed, I think he sent it out to another company. The DLC does wear off, it started to wear off of the buckle that came with the watch.

Regards,

Ren

Regards,

Watch without the coating.
    image by 2500M_Sub, on Flickr
    Matt68uk, Nokie, Burgs and 1 others like this.

I like the worn look DLC watches get over time, gives them character.
    Same reason I really like my Zenith Pilot Bronze.
    Perfectly polished, blemish free stainless watches are nice but very... sterile.
    Ulysse Nardin, DOXA, Tudor, Hidden Content , Eterna, Rolex, Breitling, Sinn, Omega, Ball, Zenith​, Tissot, Sea-Gull, Dievas, ​Laco, Seiko, Orient Star, Casio, Suunto

Quote Originally Posted by 2500M_Sub View Post
    I have a Super Avenger Blacksteel and I had my coating removed. It was soaked in a super concentrated solution of Hydrogen Peroxide that lifts away the DLC coating without damaging the metal beneath. You can buy a new case from Breitling for your blacksteel $$$$. In order to recoat the part would need to be perfect as any imperfections would stand out more after the coating is applied, that is directly from the CEO of the company that does the coating for Breitling. I had Jack at IWW do the work to get the coating removed, I think he sent it out to another company. The DLC does wear off, it started to wear off of the buckle that came with the watch.

Regards,

Ren

Regards,

Watch without the coating.
    image by 2500M_Sub, on Flickr
    Stunning Combo Ren

Burgs likes this.
    Longines Hydroconquest
    Oris TT1 Divers Date
    Breitling Chronomat Flying Fish

My scratch OCD would just play with my head if I had something like that.........
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    My scratch OCD would just play with my head if I had something like that.........
    Funny how people would rather leave a watch in a box for fear of wearing it..

Speaking of matching bracelets, I was recently browsing Breitling's site checking out the Cockpit B50's, and noticed they now offer the Professional III bracelet in black titanium.

https://www.breitling.com/en/models/...de-to-measure/

Perhaps a blacksteel version is coming as well?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information