Why doesn't Breitling produce their blacksteel watches with matching BS bracelets?...
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Why doesn't Breitling produce their blacksteel watches with matching BS bracelets?...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why doesn't Breitling produce their blacksteel watches with matching BS bracelets?...

And I'm not talking about the mesh ones, but the Pro II bracelet that would match the watch head. They always pair these black steel watches with mesh, fabric or rubber. I think the watch would look really cool with a matching bracelet. Something sorta like this from the factory would be cool...
    moviedude likes this.

Durability and wear concerns. However, Citizen in Japan has been selling watches with DLC cases and bracelets for years with no issues and are considered among the best in the industry. Also a DLC bracelet can further increase the cost of the watch since Breitling doesn't do this process in house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Why doesn't Breitling produce their blacksteel watches with matching BS bracelets?...

And quite frankly I prefer the diver pro iii diver strap on my B50 Night Mission with matching DLC deployant clasp. Extremely comfy combo and this is coming from a dyed in the wool bracelet kind of guy.

Re: Why doesn't Breitling produce their blacksteel watches with matching BS bracelets?...

Ok, but if it's a durability/wear issue, how come they do offer it on a mesh bracelet? Just seems strange that they don't offer the option, as I'm sure some folks wouldn't mind the wear and tear, and having to have it refurbished once in a while. I prefer bracelets over straps personally, so was just curious why they wouldn't even make the offering.

I think the only thing that would bother me is if while sizing the bracelet, the AD scratched up the screws?...maybe that's what the concern is?
    Last edited by WeWannaLing; September 25th, 2016 at 15:19.

Oh, and back when I was a kid, I used to have a black coated Pulsar watch like below, and it had a metal bracelet that was very durable even. Can't imagine Breitling can't make an offering in this modern day and age.

Perhaps it is also an aesthetic decision coming down directly from Girardin.

But what about when the ADs change the straps on watches with DLC cases? Wouldn't they run the same risk of scratching up the lugs/case as well?

As to sizing the bracelets, I do my own. I don't let anyone near my bracelets. So far my tools have paid for themselves by this approach.

Last edited by AvantGardeTime; September 25th, 2016 at 16:13.

COZ

Quote Originally Posted by WeWannaLing View Post
    Ok, but if it's a durability/wear issue, how come they do offer it on a mesh bracelet? Just seems strange that they don't offer the option, as I'm sure some folks wouldn't mind the wear and tear, and having to have it refurbished once in a while. I prefer bracelets over straps personally, so was just curious why they wouldn't even make the offering.

I think the only thing that would bother me is if while sizing the bracelet, the AD scratched up the screws?...maybe that's what the concern is?
    From what I've been seeing, there is no easy way to repair or refurbish blacksteel. Wear and durability is probably the issue. I've looked in the past at purchasing the Blackbird blacksteel version that came out a few years back, but the used ones I've seen show wear on the bezel and other scratch marks down to the bare steel. Haven't been able to justify blacksteel yet (added cost), although I like the look on some models.
    Last edited by COZ; September 25th, 2016 at 16:58.

Does Breitling not restore them when they go back in for their standard servicing? I'd be curious to know.

I would suggest for you to contact BUSA and pose the refinishing question to them: Breitling.com/service

My understanding is that they don't offer refinishing services on DLC pieces (They have a footnote to that effect) but other times it has been implied to me that the restoration process involves bead blasting.

The DLC process that Breitling uses in these watches is called Dianoir and it is claimed to give cases wear resistance properties similar to diamonds (5,300 in the Vickers scale vs 200-300 Hv for untreated 316L steel).

DLC adds cost to the watch and it is likely that Breitling pays a substantial amount to have the cases carbon treated by Argor-Aljba, their outside vendor in Switzerland.

In my limited research I have never come across complaints or accounts of failed DLC coatings on carbon treated Breitling Watch cases. The question is, are there variations in the quality and application of the carbon treatment? Doesn't seem but who knows?

More information on Dianoir here:

http://www.argor-aljba.com/en/products/dianoir/

DLC coatings:

http://www.argor-aljba.com/en/tecnology/dlc-coating/

Last edited by AvantGardeTime; September 25th, 2016 at 17:28.

I have owned DLC coated watches before, JDM Citizens with Duratect their proprietary system with excellent results. Their coatings are in the 2,500 to 3,500 Hv in the Vickers hardness scale which would put them almost on par with the scratch resistance properties of sapphire crystals.

Remember, much like sapphire crystals or ceramic cases/bezels, they provide excellent wear resistance properties but are not 100% idiot proof. Sapphire and ceramic can still crack and shatter with enough force. I suspect even the best of DLC coatings are no different. If you whack the watch with enough force and at the right angle against a metal door or a concrete wall, I am sure you will be able to take off a good chunk of the coating of the case, or a piece of the case itself.

Manufacturers don't promise bullet proof like armor performance beyond what they believe is reasonable protection under normal everyday use.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information