1 - Page 43
Like Tree1262Likes

Thread: 1

Page 43 of 122 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 93 ... LastLast

Re: 1

Very timely - I'm just reading "But Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman" it's an excellent read.
    rogerlike likes this.

The most epic of threads still lives!!... I'm very proud

Number 422 here

And continuing this thread topic, I'm posting a very usefull Weight loss helping tool

Eat your every meal with this handy cutlery and you will see results in your weight very quickly...

#423 here. I can still eat doughnuts, pizza, bacon, hamburgers, etc.. All I can't eat is salad! Perfect!
    Crater likes this.
    Hidden Content
    OWN
    G-Shock
    GW-530A, GA-100-1A1, G-9300-1 Mudman
    Marathon
    JSAR
    Seiko
    SKX007K2
    Swatch
    High Wonder

INCOMING
    Maratac
    Large Pilot 2013
    Russian
    AChS-1 pannel clock

424... Good, coming AND going.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

near Manhattan... Status: Entering phase three.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerlike View Post
    I'll cut short the epistemology, but I consider that we can only understand anything through modelling: some is intuitive, whereas some requires esoteric mathematics. All has its limits. Quantum Mechanics is especially counter-intuitive.

I think a quote by the venerable Richard Feynman is required at this point!

"The difficulty really is psychological and exists in the perpetual torment that results from your saying to yourself, "But how can it be like that?" which is a reflection of uncontrolled but utterly vain desire to see it in terms of something familiar. I will not describe it in terms of an analogy with something familiar; I will simply describe it. There was a time when the newspapers said that only twelve men understood the theory of relativity. I do not believe there ever was such a time. There might have been a time when only one man did, because he was the only guy who caught on, before he wrote his paper. But after people read the paper a lot of people understood the theory of relativity in some way or other, certainly more than twelve. On the other hand, I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics. So do not take the lecture too seriously, feeling that you really have to understand in terms of some model what I am going to describe, but just relax and enjoy it. I am going to tell you what nature behaves like. If you will simply admit that maybe she does behave like this, you will find her a delightful, entrancing thing. Do not keep saying to yourself, if you can possible avoid it, "But how can it be like that?" because you will get 'down the drain', into a blind alley from which nobody has escaped. Nobody knows how it can be like that."
    Richard P. Feynman, The Messenger Lectures, 1964, MIT

http://bouman.chem.georgetown.edu/general/feynman.html
    Aptly put, Mr. Feynman. I'd forgotten about this quote. It is superb. Thanks for posting it, rogerlike.

The human mind is one of the most amazing things in our midst. The ability to abstractly conceptualize things we cannot readily see, is unique. But we are constrained by our environment, which is strictly 4 dimensional to our senses. Thus everything we use to measure characteristics is limited by those dimensions. In order to go beyond that, we must be able to extrapolate the information and create a different model in our heads. But if our language is limited to explain that, how can it be conveyed? Only very few people have the mental models that can facilitate some understanding... but still not complete, as Feynman points out.

We may find that in order to make the next evolutionary leap, we will need to purposefully augment our brain power with artificial computing. Our biological minds are just too deeply designed to work in our living environment.
    rogerlike likes this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Quote Originally Posted by avr3 View Post
    BTW, after all these #426 replies, has avr3 ever came back to explain what are 1 and . for?

Quote Originally Posted by GShockMe View Post
    BTW, after all these #426 replies, has avr3 ever came back to explain what are 1 and . for?
    Screw it! We hijacked his topic and made it our own!!
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Bam!!! Just threw a wrench in the machine!! ;)
    gripmaster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toothbras View Post

Bam!!! Just threw a wrench in the machine!! ;)
    Threw it in the wrong machine. #429 is mine. Ha ha!
    Rocat likes this.

And just to be greedy... I'm taking #430 too!
    Crater and Rocat like this.

Page 43 of 122 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 93 ... LastLast

Thread Information