WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Casio G-Shock for a kid

31K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  pinnock Sam 
#1 ·
Hi

I'm new here and I have looked around prior to registering and can't really find what I'm looking for using search facility for 'kids' or 'boys'.

I have just come back from Spain where I bought a cheapo Casio for my son. Well talk about you get what you pay for! My son is 9 years old and pretty careful with things. I let him loose on some pretty expensive camera equipment and his fine, his present cheap watch has one small scratch on a prespex face. This Casio has been worn for 3 days and has about 6 scratches on the face. I put it down to the face not being recessed or protected by a bezel. I'm prepared to put that down to experience, and I would now never buy a watch like that unless the it was sapphire glass or similar.

I told him that when he could tell the time properly I would buy him a digital watch. Baby G is a no no as he had to educate me that it's basically a woman's watch (although his cheapo Casio is too).

I've been looking at the G-Shock range. Is it a non-starter? The smallest I think I can find is GW-M5600-1ER Wave Ceptor Radio Controlled G-SHOCK Mens Digital Resin Watch. I'm happy to spend that kind of money on him as he is not one of these kids that wants one thing today and then something else later.

I'm not too sure if he'll go for retro look

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Digital clock Product

I need to get a choice for him to choose as you can guarantee if I choose a black watch, he'll want a white one, and vice versa.

Any suggestions, and sorry to impose such a big ask on my first post.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
hello and welcome! i have a 10 year old son and he loves the 6900 series of watches by g-shock. currently he has 2 in circulation. one is a dw6900sb2 metallic blue with a mirror face and the other is a dw6900cs black with a green face also known around here as the zombie slayer. dont get too worried about these watches getting banged up cause they can take a beating and you would be happy to know that the glass on most if not all g shocks are made of scratch resistant mineral glass. hope i was able to help and im sure what ever you decide to get for him he will enjoy.
peace,

miguel

#3 ·
Most Gs are variations on a theme, meaning they all are renowned for their durability, shock resistance and waterproof properties, but they differ as to size, color, feature set, etc. To my knowledge there are no sapphire crystals available nor have there ever been. They are, however, mineral glass and not plastic crystals.

You will notice that the crystals are recessed and protected by a raised bezel, however, over time, scratches will most definitely occur. If this is a terrible annoyance, perhaps a watch with a light colored face would not accentuate any minor scratches. My beater Seiko, which is not kid proof, has lasted me the better part of 28 years with a white face and a mineral glass crystal. After the first tiny dial blemish, they really become totally irrelevant. The beauty of sapphire is, of course, that they are nearly scratch proof, but this comes at a price. Since sapphire is so hard, crystal breakage can be a real problem. The mineral glass is hard and tough, yet flexes enough so that breakage is much, much less of a concern.

#4 ·
The 6900 is a great watch with a good raised bezel, however it's rather large and may be too big on the wrist for your son. I have 7 and 5 year old boys and they love to wear my Gs. Like the one you pictured above the 5600 is a good choice, however I 'm not sure that Solar/Atomic is a necessity for such a young lad. You could get the 5600E for well under $50. In fact, I found one at a Target that had it on clearence for $12. Another good choice, and my boys favorite, is the G9000 Mudman. It's a seriosuly tough watch and has and the glass is recessed in the bezel to help prevent scratches more so than the 5600. The buttons are a little difficult to press, but I like that because it prevents my son from being too distracted while at school. Here's a pic of my boys wearing their Muddies:

And my 5yr old with the 5600E:

#6 ·
what ? you all have children already? I thought G-shock wearers are single and aged from 18 to 26

LOL

kidding aside, my 10 year old niece wants to have a G too, but her father stops me from buying her one since she tends to lose things, be it as small as money or as large as a bike

#10 ·
My son got a DW-5600MS and loves it. He even modded it with a white bezel. He wants a GW-6900 now.

My younger son wants a G-shock, also doesn't want a baby-g. The 5600 looks on him like a King would look on a thin woman, but he seems to like it. I'll probably get him a 5600E. I really don't want to spend the money on anything slicker as there is a good chance he'll lose it. He's not good about keeping track of things.

#11 · (Edited)
Ok guys thank you very much for all of your input, and please don't stop.

I'm hooked on these things and this is meant to be a purchase for my son!!!!!

Sedi after much research I was just about to come here and post 'What about the G-7701-1', but you kind of did the work for me anyway. However it's been a real learning curve. I own a Rolex Daytona that needs a service and since bought a Sunnto all black core which was cheaper than the required Rolex service by some margin. I must say I am not that impressed with either Rolex's ridiculous fees nor Sunnto's quality.

So here I am looking for a suitable watch for my son, and I could have bought many many G-Shocks.

I went from Riseman to Mudman to G-7710 whilst supposedly looking for my 9 year old but I believe I did get there in the end.

I think I'm going to take the plunge on it and I don't care too much if my son doesn't like it. Whilst it most probably wouldn't be my 1st choice G Shock (it might be too small) I do like the neg display of my Sunnto and I trust that the 7 step adjustment of the G Shock will be as good as (hopefully better) than the just about acceptable adjustment I have at the moment.

I do like this version

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Digital clock Strap

Does anyone know where I can get proper measurements for the G-7710

Once again thanks to all that have posted, and please feel free to make more suggestions.

Thanks in advance

#13 ·
I don't know the measurements, but its a smaller G. I have the red and black one, and if you'd like, I'll snap a shot of it on my son tonight.

Sent from the Office of the Reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas

#15 ·
I think a nice colored DW-6900 is good. My son saw the photo of Tiger2's son a little longer than a year ago. He very much liked the metallic blue DW-6900. I bought one for him for on holidays. He still wears it everyday. He was 10 when he got it.

Cheers,

Sjors

#17 ·
This was the first time I let my son wear my 7710, and I think I just lost a watch! The strap is quite long, as I had to buckle it in the very last holes. But, other than the long extra strap, the watch looks great on him. It has teh perfect wrist presence and doesn't look too big. This is on the wrist of my 7yr old...

Now we'll just wait and see how long it takes before I get my watch back!

#19 ·
Ok

I've bought GW M5600 and 7710 and I think as suggested here that the 5600 will sit nicer on a 9 year old's wrist although I reckon he is going to prefer the look and functionality of the 7710. Is it common for these watches to have no ability to have UK date format choice?

#25 ·
Hi

I'm new here and I have looked around prior to registering and can't really find what I'm looking for using search facility for 'kids' or 'boys'.

I have just come back from Spain where I bought a cheapo Casio for my son. Well talk about you get what you pay for! My son is 9 years old and pretty careful with things. I let him loose on some pretty expensive camera equipment and his fine, his present cheap watch has one small scratch on a prespex face. This Casio has been worn for 3 days and has about 6 scratches on the face. I put it down to the face not being recessed or protected by a bezel. I'm prepared to put that down to experience, and I would now never buy a watch like that unless the it was sapphire glass or similar.

I told him that when he could tell the time properly I would buy him a digital watch. Baby G is a no no as he had to educate me that it's basically a woman's watch (although his cheapo Casio is too).

I've been looking at the G-Shock range. Is it a non-starter? The smallest I think I can find is GW-M5600-1ER Wave Ceptor Radio Controlled G-SHOCK Mens Digital Resin Watch. I'm happy to spend that kind of money on him as he is not one of these kids that wants one thing today and then something else later.

View attachment 503464

I need to get a choice for him to choose as you can guarantee if I choose a black watch, he'll want a white one, and vice versa.

Thanks in advance.
can he wear it loose

#30 ·
Hi

View attachment 503464

Thanks in advance.
can you wear it loose

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.