Casio G-shock module 1584 to replace 2184?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bohera

Thread: Casio G-shock module 1584 to replace 2184?

Casio G-shock module 1584 to replace 2184?

Hi all,
    I am pretty new with posting here on WUS but following the forum from years.
    So on the topic I have bought one G-2300-9v second hand which has faded digits (the previous owner claims 3 months ago the digits were ok and after keeping it in the drawer it became like that) and from what I tested and readed here on the forum I conclude that it is not the battery.
    I found a Raysman DW-9350 in bad condition but the module seems to be ok. So my question is if it will be possible to fit Raysman module (1584) to the G-2300 (module 2184)
    To me they look the same judging by the display. I couldn't find pictures of the 1584 module itself to compare it more precisely.
    The only difference i found looking at the displays was the displaying of the year on 1584 is only with two digits and on 2184 is with four digits.
    Here are some images of the G-2300
    Name:  IMG_20170416_134703212_HDR.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  719.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170416_134737640.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  673.6 KB

Re: Casio G-shock module 1584 to replace 2184?

It would also depend on the shape of the module itself. You'd have to open them both up to see if they match.

Are all the button positions the same on both watches?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    A watch is for life, not just for the WRUW thread!

That is why I searched for images of 1584 module in google but i did not find any.
    Yes the buttons on both watches seems to be on the same position.
    Also I was wondering if I disassemble the 2184 module and clean the contacts of the display would it help?
    I have noticed that sometimes the display get little bit more readable looking at it from the same angle. Maybe it is just me but even it seems to me that when I turn on the illumination for a few seconds after that the digits are more readable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohera View Post
    That is why I searched for images of 1584 module in google but i did not find any.
    Yes the buttons on both watches seems to be on the same position.
    Also I was wondering if I disassemble the 2184 module and clean the contacts of the display would it help?
    I have noticed that sometimes the display get little bit more readable looking at it from the same angle. Maybe it is just me but even it seems to me that when I turn on the illumination for a few seconds after that the digits are more readable.
    I had one of those 2300's from eBay once with the exact same problem.

I couldn't fix it no matter what I tried, and that included taking the whole module to pieces. I had quite a lengthy discussion going on on here about it. For some reason the display was clearer with the watch upside down, almost like the LCD screen had been taken out and replaced the wrong way up!

I got rid in the end!

In regards to the modules on both, I think you need to have both watches with you and opened up to see for definite. I've also found it hard to find pictures of G Shock modules in searches.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50F using Tapatalk
    A watch is for life, not just for the WRUW thread!

I have decided to buy the old Raysman and give it a try. It will cost me around 15$ so at least ill have something to poke at. Should arrive in two days and ill let you know how it goes :)
    sodamonkey and Rocat like this.

Hi again guys. So I received the old Raysman. The bad news for me is that the module of the Raysman seems to be bigger. It is only similar display but bigger one. I can tell even without opening the case. On the other hand the Raysman display is so crisp (bad thing is that it seems impossible to find bezels and straps for it) that I am now more ambitious to fix the G-2300. I did not have the time to poke more with the watches but soon will update with more pictures and more info.

@Sodamonkey I found your treat for the problem with the G-2300. As far as I saw you tried to replace the front polarizing filter only. They are actually two polarizing filters in order to make the lcd screen to work. One is above the display and one is below. I found few videos in youtube that shows how to fix a sun damage of an lcd display by replacing both the top and the bottom polarizing films because they both degrade from the sunlight. Unfortunately where I leave there is no where to be found new polarizing filters and I am not patient enough to wait them come from another country so i will probably try to salvage filters from other devices with lcd displays just to try if it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohera View Post
    Hi again guys. So I received the old Raysman. The bad news for me is that the module of the Raysman seems to be bigger. It is only similar display but bigger one. I can tell even without opening the case. On the other hand the Raysman display is so crisp (bad thing is that it seems impossible to find bezels and straps for it) that I am now more ambitious to fix the G-2300. I did not have the time to poke more with the watches but soon will update with more pictures and more info.

@Sodamonkey I found your treat for the problem with the G-2300. As far as I saw you tried to replace the front polarizing filter only. They are actually two polarizing filters in order to make the lcd screen to work. One is above the display and one is below. I found few videos in youtube that shows how to fix a sun damage of an lcd display by replacing both the top and the bottom polarizing films because they both degrade from the sunlight. Unfortunately where I leave there is no where to be found new polarizing filters and I am not patient enough to wait them come from another country so i will probably try to salvage filters from other devices with lcd displays just to try if it will work.
    here is a link where someone else converted their watch to a negative display using polarizing film.. there is a Web address in one of the comments that says where he got it... might be worth checking out

How to reverse the display on a G...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    "I'm just a man who loves savings... and pie."

Hi again,
    Thank you LJUSMC for the links but as I said earlier I don't want to order the polarizing filter from a site outside my country for now but maybe eventually I will. I'll see.
    Meantime I have bought an used Casio GW2310-1 (the radio controlled variant) with the idea to make some parts swapping between it and the G-2300. I have the time only to clean the GW-2310 as it was with so much dirt between the outer bezel and the case. It even had a lot of calcium build up between the outer bezel and the inner bezel (it is chrome or polished steel not sure). But I successfully removed the calcium build on the inner bezel with good bath of vinegar and toothbrush. Only some scratch marks left on the metal bezel where the resin bezel was rubbing it with the dirt in between but nothing visible when the watch is reassembled.
    After I cleaned the old/new GW-2310 I have noticed that the glass looks foggy. I found here on the forum few examples of the same problem and that it probably is the similar thing that happens with the inside of the windshield of a car. There where suggestions that with Hydro Mod the problem is solved but I don't want to make a Hydro Mod at all. So my next wondering :D is how can i remove the solar panel of the watch so I can clean the inside of the crystal without damaging something. Is it possible to remove the solar panel, is it hard?
    I found some forum members suggest to not perform this operation but still if I have enough info I am willing to try it out.
    Last edited by Bohera; 1 Day Ago at 09:08.

So I made a little disassemble of the GW-2300-1 with the foggy crystal to clean it up and I thought to take some pictures of it. Sorry for the bad lighting. It seems the "fog" was on the glass that is on top of the solar panel under the main crystal. The watch looks dirty but it actually it went pretty clean, only the calcium buildup under the back cover that I didn't remove because it will need a lot more work and a silicone grease that i still don't have (ill buy it in the next few days).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information