WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Casio G - Shock in the nature

903K views 7K replies 696 participants last post by  FarmeR57 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm starting and perhaps fellow members joining in. Enjoy :)

See less See more
#1,032 ·
Wow Tom!! Awesome yellow theme!!!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

#1,034 ·
Here are some more of the Bay Trail.

Sky Sea Cloud Coast Horizon

Sometimes, we do forget we took some photos at the same place before, especially with multiple cameras. ;-) The following are taken a month ago on the same week as my Golden Gate photos ( https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/casio-g-shock-nature-878485-95.html#post17287314 ). I was probably too excited about the Golden Gate and forgot about these.

Asphalt Pigeons and doves Shadow Road Bird

Horizon Kitesurfing Sea Sky Kite sports

Sea Wood Horizon

In the haste of excitement, I forgot to set the correct time zone on the watch. No way it's this bright at 9:51pm! ;-)
Watch Watch accessory Landscape Clock

Sea Wood Rock Sand Vehicle

Road Asphalt Sky Natural landscape Road surface

Sky Sea Beach Coast Shore

#1,035 ·
The Pacific coast along California is a magnificent natural wonder. No words can describe the beauty and no picture can reflect the true nature. All thanks to 650 miles of coastal highway, an engineering marvel, the coast is easily accessible. The following is just 1 spot out of many.

Flower Wildflower Plant Spring Botany

Flower Flowering plant Plant Wildflower Coast

Finally a true G in the nature. ;-)
Sky Natural environment Road Cloud Road trip

Sky Nature Vegetation Cloud Natural landscape

Sky Cloud Sea Ocean Coast

Sky Horizon Atmospheric phenomenon Cloud Sea

Sky Horizon Cloud Sea Atmospheric phenomenon

Automotive tire Personal protective equipment Watch Vehicle Emblem

#1,037 ·
The Pacific coast along California is a magnificent natural wonder. No words can describe the beauty and no picture can reflect the true nature. All thanks to 650 miles of coastal highway, an engineering marvel, the coast is easily accessible. The following is just 1 spot out of many.

View attachment 4689034

View attachment 4689042

Finally a true G in the nature. ;-)
View attachment 4689050

View attachment 4689058

View attachment 4689066

View attachment 4689074

View attachment 4689082

View attachment 4689090
Stunning shots :) :) Thanks 4 sharing

Sent from my iPhone 6+

#1,039 ·
just been very busy lately. But here is a pic I snapped while in Nigeria
View attachment 4693394
View attachment 4693330
While I don't know any background of that statue, just by looking at his eyes, his face and his body, seems already telling part of the story and in such a way touches feelings. I am sure when he's alive, he would love to have a watch like that and probably would be very curious about it. But he would love more if he had the food to nourish his body.

#1,040 ·
Here are some more of the Pacific Coast.

As you can see, I was literally on the edge of a near vertical cliff.
Body of water Coast Sea Headland Coastal and oceanic landforms

Sea Coast Sky Ocean Coastal and oceanic landforms

Camera can be pretty poor in depth perception. You can put it in better perspective by observing the size of the person who happened to be on the beach.
Coast Headland Sea Coastal and oceanic landforms Shore

Obviously with the instrument on my wrist, I can tell a bit more accurately. It says 290ft, but it's actually overestimated. Map reference says this particular spot is about 260.5ft (79.4m). Nearly 80 meters of drop to the bottom. If I slipped, most likely it would kill me. ;-)
Water Photography Wetsuit Personal protective equipment Sea

Coast Body of water Headland Coastal and oceanic landforms Promontory

Sea Watch Coast Vacation Ocean

Testing my zoom lens, that's the furthest point from the last picture. Looks like there are some private houses there right next to the ocean, pretty luxurious! ;-)
Body of water Sea Sky Coast Ocean

The Santa Cruz mountain range was formed by the forces of the San Andreas Fault. It bisects the San Francisco peninsula into the eastern (Bay) portion and the western (Pacific) portion. There are substantial differences in climate, vegetation and animal species due to the separation.

Geological phenomenon Raised beach Cliff Coast Water

Look, I found beetle near the cliff! I will name it Cliff Beetle. ;-) Well, I might look up the actual species when I got time.
Insect Organism Plant Blister beetles Beetle

These type of plants are all over the place. Not all plants can withstand the constant salt sprays from the ocean.
Coast Headland Sea Coastal and oceanic landforms Cliff

There are lots of pelicans and other bird species here.
Sky Bird Bird migration Animal migration Flock

Body of water Wave Sea Coast Ocean

Coastline on the other side (North).
Body of water Coast Cliff Sea Headland

There's a little beach down below. Looks like pretty strong currents and some swirling effects. Definitely not a place for swimming. ;-)
Wave Coast Ocean Shore Sea

Where I was on top of. You can see 3 tourists up there, which help put it to better perspective of the height. There's a WWII era bunker up there, which some punk kids defaced with graffiti. That's why I didn't bother to take a picture of it closer.
Cliff Klippe Promontory Rock Headland

#1,042 ·
For those of you who travel for work, you probably know that usually there's very little time for checking what's out there. That's why you see majority of my nature shots were made after work and before sun down. The sunset time is crucial for my trips, because I want to be venturing when there's still light. Obviously, I also need sunlight for good photos as well. ;-) I found the sunrise / sunset time on my Protrek pretty accurate and almost the same as looking up the info online.

I attempted at one point to do a trip before sunrise. But the fact that I have to come back and make it to work before rush hours, makes it even more difficult. The traffic after work isn't any better either, so depends on the location / distance where I want to go, I may only have a small time window to get there, take photos, and preferably come back when there's still some light. The trip to the coast where I saw the sundown (see my 2nd previous post https://www.watchuseek.com/f17/casio-g-shock-nature-878485-104.html#post18218058 ), while very exhilarating, I ended up driving in pitch darkness in twisty mountain roads coming back. Gladly it was a clear night, a little bit of high beam helped me see the curves without problem.

Not so lucky for my trip / attempt to go back to the Marin Headland last week. I was trying to reach the Bolinas Lagoon. Traffic delays, plus I got lost a bit, plus the unpredictable weather near the coastline, I ended up aborting the mission only few miles away from the destination. First I lost crucial 20 to 25 minutes missing an exit in the freeway, and turned back using a longer way. While the weather's fine inland, next I found myself heading into a dense fog toward the coast. Below is the only picture I took that night, you can see Mount Tamalpais and a very dense fog around it. I continued on into the mountain. As I went higher up, it got darker and started to rain a bit. The fog was so thick, I could see no more than 20ft (6m) ahead. It's ok if it's a straight road, but the road's extremely twisty and there could be a steep cliff on the side (which I couldn't see). While I could still make it there, I was concerning about my way back. So I stopped and turned back. I went checkout the Golden Gate again, but I couldn't see it while it's right in front of me! So the decision was right, because even if I made it, I could probably see nothing.

Sky Horizon Daytime Mode of transport Cloud

So why was I trying to see Bolinas? I will explain later. So, I went to the Mussel Rock the following day. Watch showed 215ft, while I was overlooking the rock, but it's actually 192ft (58.5m) for that spot.
Vacation Personal protective equipment Watch

Rock Coast Sea Coastal and oceanic landforms Ocean

Some marine birds are living on it.
Sea Rock Ocean Coast Wave

Coastline to the south of the rock.
Body of water Coast Sea Headland Coastal and oceanic landforms

Coastline to the north of the rock.
Coast Headland Highland Sea Shore

So what's the significance of this ugly piece of rock? Not only poop all over by birds, but also further defaced by some man made structures on top (probably left over of some WWII / Cold War military installation). ;-) It's also the site of a controversial landfill (closed) and an existing waste transfer station. Well, it's significant because it's right around where the San Andreas Fault is. The Fault leaves land and head into the water just north of the Mussel Rock then back onto land in Bolinas Lagoon. My picture below shows its approximate location.
Coast Headland Sea Shore Coastal and oceanic landforms
[1]

The San Andreas Fault spans nearly the entire longitudinal length of the state of California, from Salton Sea in the south to Cape Mendocino in the north. It leaves the land into the water for the 1st time coming from south, at Mussel Rock Park, Daly City. It will then back into land then into water again, back and forth for a few times as it continues its northern journey. It is where the Pacific Plate meets the North American Plate, and the contributing factor to majority of the seismic activities in California.
Map Ecoregion Atlas Estuary World

For most of its length you can't really see it, though you can see some geological evidence of its presents. In the San Francisco peninsula, it cuts across the eastern valley of the Santa Cruz mountain. Here's a picture of me standing basically on top of it near the Crystal Springs.
Sky Reservoir Lake River Sea
[2]

One of the recent flights I took happened to fly closely above the fault. Here are some aerial shots I took.
Water Atmospheric phenomenon Sky Water resources Atmosphere
[2]

Near Soda Lake at the remote Carrizo Plain is where the fault is most prominent and visible. You can see some of it even at 30,000ft, if you know where to look.
Sky Atmosphere Horizon Atmospheric phenomenon Cloud
[3]

Sky Atmosphere Horizon Cloud Air travel
[3]

I am aware that there's a bogus movie recently about the fault. ;-) Don't believe what you see based on a movie. Go read about it and see it for yourself, what's the real San Andreas.

For this my bucket list item has realized: standing on top of the San Andreas Fault, completed. ;-)

#1,044 ·
After closer inspection of the map, the fault line I drew for my photo near Mussel Rock was off a bit. The fault actually coming down from the hill further back, around directly east where I was standing. Since the fault is not a thin line, but a strip of land, I was essentially standing on top of the fault there as well.

Coast Headland Sea Coastal and oceanic landforms Shore

Map Geological phenomenon Aerial photography Fault Terrain

Yes, there are rows of houses there right at the fault and near a cliff (canyon). I was just standing there for couple of minutes, these people actually live right on top of it everyday! The guy (I think an Aussy) in the video below summarized better than I can. I also had the same observation for the roughness of the car park.

#1,049 · (Edited)
All this just confirms what I already knew. Californians are just plain nuts.

"Hey look, two of the Earths tectonic plates smash together right here! Cool! Let's build a town right on top of it."

At least on the East coast we can see when a hurricane is coming.

After closer inspection of the map, the fault line I drew for my photo near Mussel Rock was off a bit. The fault actually coming down from the hill further back, around directly east where I was standing. Since the fault is not a thin line, but a strip of land, I was essentially standing on top of the fault there as well.

View attachment 4713018

View attachment 4713026

Yes, there are rows of houses there right at the fault and near a cliff (canyon). I was just standing there for couple of minutes, these people actually live right on top of it everyday! The guy (I think an Aussy) in the video below summarized better than I can. I also had the same observation for the roughness of the car park.

#1,047 ·
Sea level or mountain top ... looks like a beautiful day. :)
Body of water Marina Water Sky Harbor

Mountainous landforms Mountain Mountain range Hill station Tree

Told 'em to take 'er out for a 'shakedown' cruise. :)
Water transportation Luxury yacht Boat Yacht Vehicle

Maybe get some gas while they're at it. :-!
Water transportation Vehicle Boat Tugboat Ferry

Didn't take 'em long to get underway.
Water transportation Boat Sky Yacht Luxury yacht

Vehicle Water transportation Yacht Luxury yacht Boat

Time was passing by.
Watch

Told 'em to watch out for the seaplanes.
Water transportation Vehicle Airplane Marina Naval architecture

"Sure" ... they replied!
Vehicle Boat Water transportation Watercraft Ship

Boat Vehicle Water transportation Transport Watercraft

Time ... nothing but time ...
Watch Vehicle

& time for one last little game of 'chicken' with a seaplane ?
Vehicle Waterway Boat Watercraft Port

Maybe time to 'downsize' ?
Water transportation Marina Boat Luxury yacht Yacht

Water transportation Vehicle Boat Yacht Watercraft

Or maybe just a couple of minutes to dream ? :think::think: :):)
Water transportation Vehicle Transport Boat Mode of transport

Have a dream weekend everyone ! :-!:-!:-!

#1,048 ·
Sea level or mountain top ... looks like a beautiful day. :)
View attachment 4751818

View attachment 4751826

Told 'em to take 'er out for a 'shakedown' cruise. :)
View attachment 4751874

Maybe get some gas while they're at it. :-!
View attachment 4751914

Didn't take 'em long to get underway.
View attachment 4751946

View attachment 4751954

Time was passing by.
View attachment 4751970

Told 'em to watch out for the seaplanes.
View attachment 4751978

"Sure" ... they replied!
View attachment 4751986

View attachment 4751994

Time ... nothing but time ...
View attachment 4752034

& time for one last little game of 'chicken' with a seaplane ?
View attachment 4752042

Maybe time to 'downsize' ?
View attachment 4752050

View attachment 4752058

Or maybe just a couple of minutes to dream ? :think::think: :):)
View attachment 4752090

Have a dream weekend everyone ! :-!:-!:-!

Awesome awesome Greg. Very well done. Gotta PM Yankeexpress. :) ;-) Thats his passion. He will be absolutely thrilled! There're really some serious yachts out there. Great scenery. Enjoy this beautiful day. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

#1,053 · (Edited)
Watching the crop grow from a traffic jam. :)
During the summer many visitors are on the baltic sea shore.
A temporary traffic light on a constructruion site next village and some vacational traffic and now we have a
real traffic jam in our countyside! :p

#1,057 ·
Mondays are a 'departure day' for some of the fortunate:
Skyline City Ferry Human settlement Passenger ship

Some are up & away to Victoria [on Vancouver Island] or Whistler [in the mountains]:
Aircraft Aviation Airplane Flight Vehicle

[not an easy shot to get]

A thousand or more will be 'Off to Alaska' around 5:00p.m.:
Water transportation Cruise ship Passenger ship Ferry Vehicle

These lucky souls are probably returning from a weekend cruise up the coast of BC to secret & secluded coves along the way: :p
Vehicle Water transportation Luxury yacht Yacht Boat

I'll just keep an eye on things with my GFR Rangeman ... while they're gone: :-!
Diving equipment

#1,060 ·
Wow!! Fantastic pics Tom!!! Crispy stones and Orange beauty[emoji41][emoji41]

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Reactions: Deepsea_dweller