Custom Squares: Q&A, show em here, fuel addiction - Page 14
Like Tree374Likes

Thread: Custom Squares: Q&A, show em here, fuel addiction

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Re: Custom Squares: Q&A, show em here, fuel addiction

I put a 5600RE module in the 5600EH and the result is not as I hoped. It does have a pink/red hue, and I love neg displays but I think I like the red gel filter in it better. Now I need to figure out what to do with the 5600RE module.

Name:  IMG_20170324_202230.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  1.27 MBName:  IMG_20170401_082550.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  1.32 MB

Here's my square project of the day. I recently received a very dirty 2005 DW5600RE in the mail. I took out the module from it's damage case and put it in some unknown DW5600 case I had which has a little splash of green lettering on top and orange under the "shock resist". I tried out some Rit "tangerine" to dye a white bezel and threw on a black strap. The color of the lcd is very close to the bezel color. This surprised me as the 5600RE (and 5600CL and 5600MS) are supposed to have reddish lcd's. Pics:
    Name:  IMG_20170401_163638.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  1.47 MBName:  IMG_20170401_163733.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  1.42 MBName:  IMG_20170401_164451.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  1.19 MBName:  IMG_20170401_164520.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  1.20 MB

I didn't set out to get this end result, I just sort of mix and match and see what looks good in the moment. I also wanted to try my hand at dyeing again. Another possibility for it would be a white strap, it would make it a very "Spring/Summer" type of piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fergfour View Post
    Here's my square project of the day. I recently received a very dirty 2005 DW5600RE in the mail. I took out the module from it's damage case and put it in some unknown DW5600 case I had which has a little splash of green lettering on top and orange under the "shock resist".
    You are really on a roll with your square customs lately! Very impressive stuff. You have good taste.

Isn't it nice making exactly what you want? I love custom projects, it's one of the things that makes Gs so fun. Resin swaps, module swaps, stealthing, and painting letters.
    Knives and Lint likes this.

Thx Phantasm, yeah it's as fun as hunting for the next G. Now instead of just looking for the next square, I'm looking for a certain color strap or bezel or lcd color. Sometimes I know what I'm shooting for and get close, other times it's just a random thing, making what I can with the parts I have. Sometimes after a week or 2 I look at one mod and decide I should change one thing to make it better. Learning a lot as I go too, for example I just removed buttons for the first time. Working on a few this weekend because I'm away on business a bit next week and I need to see what they look like before I go! Already instructed my youngest to handle any incoming G stuff and to send me pics lol.

NSB, FL (Shark Bite Capital of the World)

Quote Originally Posted by Fergfour View Post
    Here's my square project of the day. I recently received a very dirty 2005 DW5600RE in the mail. I took out the module from it's damage case and put it in some unknown DW5600 case I had which has a little splash of green lettering on top and orange under the "shock resist". I tried out some Rit "tangerine" to dye a white bezel and threw on a black strap. The color of the lcd is very close to the bezel color. This surprised me as the 5600RE (and 5600CL and 5600MS) are supposed to have reddish lcd's. Pics:
    Name:  IMG_20170401_163733.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  1.42 MB

I didn't set out to get this end result, I just sort of mix and match and see what looks good in the moment. I also wanted to try my hand at dyeing again. Another possibility for it would be a white strap, it would make it a very "Spring/Summer" type of piece.
    Great job all around! It's funny how some of the colors on Casio's LCDs play like that, appearing to be a totally different color depending on the bezel color surrounding it. I've noticed there is a similar result when transfering yellow modules into olive green watches

Fergfour, Phantasm and jzoo like this.
    Nothing in his pockets but Knives and Lint

G-Shock (around 30, mostly custom)
    Omega Speedmaster '57
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 8500
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 8500 (orange)
    Breitling Superocean Heritage (blue)
    Omega Speedmaster Racing (red)
    Ball Skindiver II
    Ball Fireman NECC (white dial)
    Tudor Fastrider (yellow)
    Sinn 240
    Marathon JDD
    Victorinox Airboss
    Bulova Military UHF

Ok last custom for at least a week as I'll be away on business. This is an older 5600FL with a blue gel filter. The bezel and strap are also from different FL's. I like the dark blue and silver combo overall, I don't see many squares with either color honestly and it's a nice change from common black. I did another one in a previous post with a similar color scheme albeit the bezel and strap colors reversed. Happy with this one, the blue display and blue accent on the dial tie it all together. Name:  IMG_20170402_100607_hdr.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  1.50 MBName:  IMG_20170402_100347.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  1.55 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Knives and Lint View Post
    Great job all around! It's funny how some of the colors on Casio's LCDs play like that, appearing to be a totally different color depending on the bezel color surrounding it. I've noticed there is a similar result when transfering yellow modules into olive green watches

That's a perfect match K&L!

Here's my GW-M5610BC with painted bezel and the two layer strap from my GW6900HR. The combi bracelet is now on the GW6900HR. The square now looks almost exactly like a GW5000HR.

Knives and Lint and jzoo like this.

Looks great Kevio. Nice job on the painting. Do you use testors acrylic? Do you paint over all the letters and wipe off the excess or paint each letter individually? I'm waiting on the HR strap from pacparts to try on my Eric Haze mod. Can you see the red on the sides of the strap when wearing the watch? I hope so otherwise I might as well stick to an all back strap.

Thanks Fergfour! I used Testors flat red, not sure if it's acrylic or what but it almost matches Casio's paint color on the GW6900HR perfectly. I painted over all of the letters, let it dry and then wiped off the excess with isopropyl alcohol. I ended up doing two layers because I didn't get enough coverage with the first layer. it's acceptable but nowhere near as nice looking as the GW6900HR.

As for the strap, yes you can definitely see the second layer of red from the side when you're wearing it. It gives the watch a really nice unifying look with the bezel. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with yours!
    Last edited by kevio; April 3rd, 2017 at 20:50.
    jzoo likes this.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread Information