Custom Squares: Q&A, show em here, fuel addiction
Like Tree439Likes

Thread: Custom Squares: Q&A, show em here, fuel addiction

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Custom Squares: Q&A, show em here, fuel addiction

GW-5000 with composite bracelet, stock G-5600CC-3, stock DW-56RTB-7, GW-M5610 with band from GW-5000

Hi folks, Iíve been searching and reading threads, seems there is a lot of interest and plenty of new members are getting hit by the bug. I wanted to make a thread where people could ask questions, get ideas, and be inspired to fall deeper down the square shaped rabbit hole, so here it is. If this is redundant, than please point me to the correct thread that focusses on 5600 mods.

Hopefully, this thread can lead to some more unique 5600s in the world. For me personally, Iím taking it slow. A simple band and bezel swap is all thatís on the horizon at the moment. Down the road Iíd like to see if I can toss a module into a steelcase, which leads me to my first set of questions.

Pacparts seems to be able to order DW-5030 parts. If I were to make one of these from the ground up (allowing for a few minor customized features), are these the parts Iíd need?

complete 3229 module (maybe from a donor like the DW-5600E or DW-5600P)
    Case Center (I need to know if this includes the glass)
    Back Cover
    Back Rubber Seal
    Bezel
    Band
    X2 Springbars
    X4 Screw, Bezel

here are the parts Iím uncertain about:

Casing Frame
    Packing/Glass
    Spacer
    Tape/Adhesive

I am wondering if the dial is typically painted onto the glass, and if the 'case center' comes with the glass fastened on. Can the dial or glass be swapped with another? If so, even from a resin case 5600, or would it need glass from a steelcase?

Feel free to also share your own unique project watches! Would be really nice to have one thread to see all of the custom mods work people have done over the years. Thanks everyone.
    ccm123, Crater, Ottovonn and 5 others like this.

Brentwood, CA 94513 (San Francisco Bay Area)

Re: Custom Squares: Q&A, show em here, fuel addiction

Very nice!

Very nice :) One of my fave watches is my humble little custom DW5600E, like you mine is a very mild mod, nothing huge :)

Here it is:

Name:  5600e.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  38.7 KB

Stealth bezel, jaysandkays NATO adaptors and a black DaLuca strap.

This could be a very interesting thread indeed :) Looking forward to ideas. Personally my perfect 5600 would be a screwback with a super simple module with no complex functions other than it being atomic. Not even solar, I like the cleaner non-solar faces.

Thanks! I know a lot of the guys into modding have had their time here and possibly moved on, but for us new guys asking about a simple part swap, or how-to on customizing the dial, or adding a colored film or reversing the LCD polarity...

I’m looking forward to seeing what people do to make their squares a little more personalize (though nothing is wrong with stock either, of course).

It only took a week and a half for “waiting ETA from manufacturer” pacparts has all my items in stock!!!

Here's my thread documenting my DW-5030 custom build: DW5030 case with DW5600E internals?

To answer your initial questions: the case center does include the glass/crystal preinstalled along with the buttons. The graphics are already printed onto it. It is swappable with crystals from resin cased 5600Es or other anniversary modern screwbacks, though I'm not sure why you'd want to do that. The case center and case back are separate parts; order both (one of my initial fails).

The parts list you posted is what you'll need to build the watch. You won't need the parts in your 'uncertain' list. I recommend the 5600P4 or 5600P9 module as it has the same LCD as the DW-5030.
    Crater and Chempop like this.

jrp319, thank you, much appreciated! I did read your DW-5030 thread (twice actually), and got the notion to build a 3229-screwback from the ground up. Seems like it will cost somewhere in the ballpark of $150, which is decent all things considered. As for the dial graphics on the glass, I prefer the symmetry of the DW-5600E rather than the DW-5000 offset look, plus I was just thinking about the possibilities.

Another thought, are screwback case sizes different depending on if they are meant to fit 3229 modules versus 3159 (solar/atomic6)? I wonder because of the unique situation of the GW-5000 which is a 3159 module in a steel case center BUT fitted with a 3229 sized bezel, WEIRD!

canuwarit, wonderful pic! I like how that DWE looks with the stealth bezel and nato. I’ve never worn a nato, but it’s on the list of things to try.

I’m a little torn on swapping the green resin on my G5600-CC. I like it but... it’s sparkling green (the sparkling is only noticeable in direct light). As for my white DW-56RTB, it’s cozy but I fear dirtying it up or just discoloring it from sweat stains. I think it would make a great watch to go running with since the stopwatch and interval timers have more options that any other square.
    Last edited by Chempop; November 5th, 2015 at 04:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Chempop View Post
    Another thought, are screwback case sizes different depending on if they are meant to fit 3229 modules versus 3159 (solar/atomic6)? I wonder because of the unique situation of the GW-5000 which is a 3159 module in a steel case center BUT fitted with a 3229 sized bezel, WEIRD!
    I'm thinking the cases are the same size internally and externally, but as I don't have a GW-5000 on hand for comparison, I'm not 100% sure of that. Hopefully someone here can chime in with more concrete information.

Nothing too fancy here, DW5030c on combi bracelet. Wear it more than any of my others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    randb, Quadka, Marrin and 4 others like this.

GLX-5600-7 with yellow resin from GW-M5600A-9:

I also swapped the chrome buckle and yellow strap keeper to black versions from AMW-320B:

xevious, Crater, romseyman and 3 others like this.

alright, i will play

all of mine are mod'ed one way or another, lots of details that would takes days to note down - but i don't have time these days nor have much interests to share

only true square lovers and who's done lots of researches would know and appreciate each one in this picture

I am pretty much satisfied and wear them all as tools these days, 2 remains in my wishlist: DW5000ML and the blue display G5600 (I think it's G-5600CC)
    for me GW-5000 wearers are just witnesses / LOLz
    Last edited by G-fob; November 5th, 2015 at 18:28.
    GEO_79, raceclawt, Rocat and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information