Fergfour: Squared Away - Page 6
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Fergfour: Squared Away

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Fergfour: Squared Away

Very nice. So what's your painting technique? What kind of paint and brush/tool do you use for the lettering. As for the bezel and strap, did you have a spare lying around or do you use pacparts or some other source?

Quote Originally Posted by VIA4321 View Post
    Uh oh G fever strikes again, been eyeing up another square for a while, but limiting myself to negative display modern models. Eventually settle on this

GW-M5610LY-1er

Wasn't convinced by the semi gloss bezel and strap and had a matt strap and painted bezel to hand to complete the watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fergfour; March 9th, 2017 at 18:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Fergfour View Post
    Very nice. So what's your painting technique? What kind of pain and brush/tool do you use for the lettering. As for the bezel and strap, did you have a spare lying around or do you use pacparts or some other source?
    I had the bezel, painted for another watch already, the straps I had spare as I had put a leather/cloth Casio strap on a G5600E-1d.
    The bezel was sourced from a U.K. Supplier and was a copy of the standard that was fitted to the G5600E, i.e.; matt black with white lettering.
    As for painting, grabbed a bottle of neon yellow nail polish from my niece.
    The neon polish works well on top of the existing white paint.
    Using the polish's enclosed brush paint across the area of the lettering, immediately wipe across with your finger removing the bulk of the excess polish, wait 10 minutes, repeat the process, wait another 5 minutes and wipe the area gently with a q-tip soaked in nail polish remover, rinse with clean water. This works as the lettering is inset and the polish goes into the grooves of the letters, when you wipe across you're only removing the paint above the level of the writing. It only takes a half hour to do the two coats and if I ever tire of the colour it can be removed easily.

Took me about two minutes to swap the straps and bezel from the new watch. I am pleased with the result as it is a very wearable watch with just a pop of colour.

jzoo and Steelerswit like this.

Thanks for the tips, I was thinking people were painting with a toothpick or needle or something. With my wife and 2 girls in the house, I'll have to start looking through their nail supplies! I'm sure they'll love that. I like the negative display squares as much as the positive personally.

Quote Originally Posted by VIA4321 View Post
    I had the bezel, painted for another watch already, the straps I had spare as I had put a leather/cloth Casio strap on a G5600E-1d.
    The bezel was sourced from a U.K. Supplier and was a copy of the standard that was fitted to the G5600E, i.e.; matt black with white lettering.
    As for painting, grabbed a bottle of neon yellow nail polish from my niece.
    The neon polish works well on top of the existing white paint.
    Using the polish's enclosed brush paint across the area of the lettering, immediately wipe across with your finger removing the bulk of the excess polish, wait 10 minutes, repeat the process, wait another 5 minutes and wipe the area gently with a q-tip soaked in nail polish remover, rinse with clean water. This works as the lettering is inset and the polish goes into the grooves of the letters, when you wipe across you're only removing the paint above the level of the writing. It only takes a half hour to do the two coats and if I ever tire of the colour it can be removed easily.

Took me about two minutes to swap the straps and bezel from the new watch. I am pleased with the result as it is a very wearable watch with just a pop of colour.

Yeah Digital_1, I see a bezel as well. I considered getting it but how long would it sit around unused until a strap is found?. Maybe forever :(
    Very true.

In today's mail, DW5025D strap and bezel. To some, no big deal. To me, it's gold:Name:  IMG_20170310_171012.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  1.50 MB
    jzoo likes this.

You'll notice a few posts back I picked up a 2001 DW5000LV Lover's that has a generic lcd 1545 module, instead of the original silver lcd. I'm unable to return it, so I stuck my spare DW5025D Ocean Gray bezel/strap on it, swapping the gold buckle with the silver buckle from the LV. It turned out pretty nice!

Name:  IMG_20170310_210453.jpg
Size:  1.49 MBName:  IMG_20170310_210720.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  1.81 MBName:  IMG_20170310_211004.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  1.59 MBName:  IMG_20170310_211034.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  1.58 MB
    jzoo likes this.

You'll notice a few posts back I picked up a 2001 DW5000LV Lover's that has a generic lcd 1545 module, instead of the original silver lcd. I'm unable to return it, so I stuck my spare DW5025D Ocean Gray bezel/strap on it, swapping the gold buckle with the silver buckle from the LV. It turned out pretty nice!

Name:  IMG_20170310_210453.jpg
Size:  1.49 MBName:  IMG_20170310_210720.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  1.81 MBName:  IMG_20170310_211004.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  1.59 MBName:  IMG_20170310_211034.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  1.58 MB
    Very nice. This is the same exact project I wanted a 5025D bezel for.

Thanks Dig. The Ocean Gray bezel really goes well with a screwback case. One thing I was thinking of trying is a blue keeper. There's that tiny blue triangle on the dial that it would match up with. If not that maybe a silver keeper? We'll see.
    Last edited by Fergfour; March 11th, 2017 at 13:31.

Alright, just in today the DW 5600GM-2. I liked my 5600GM-1 that I posted about recently enough that I thought I should get another variant.Name:  IMG_20170316_175147.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  1.42 MB

It has a blue glitter resin which seems more matte than the dash 1 version. I haven’t washed it yet so we'll see how it cleans up. Same fire pattern around the dial, same funky font, but the lcd has a nice blueish color to it. Here's a comparison shot: Name:  IMG_20170316_175245.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  1.92 MB

There is one more to the series in black, but I'm content with having just these two in the collection.

Awesome collection you have there, man.. How i love square Gs.

Wish you all the best! :)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information