G-7600, the perfect G-Shock? (mini-review)

Thread: G-7600, the perfect G-Shock? (mini-review)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Picture G-7600, the perfect G-Shock? (mini-review)

If you read my postings you know I had owned a Pathfinder PAW-1300 for 1.5 years, the longest I've owned a Casio. It was my only watch for that time period, it did everything I needed, and a bit more. In the end, I grew tired of the extra functionality that I wasn't using and the atomic feature, as always, began to bug me (the history of my atomic dislike is chronicled on this forum

So, I finally sold the pathfinder and went on the hunt for a new G-Shock. After consulting my extensive wish list containing various esoteric vintage models, I happened upon the G-7600 by accident. Checked out the module and was surprised at the functionality. For $50, couldn't go wrong. Pics of various modes below. Interestingly, this watch is not exactly easy to find. I leave it to the Casio marketing experts to pinpoint date of release and regional distribution patterns.

I've had the watch for a short time period, but the total package -- module 2957 combined with a real G-Shock case designed for real G-Shock-type activity -- is the best I've found so far, close to perfect for me.

Here's the rundown:

-- regular timekeeping mode shows day, time, date, huge bold time display
    -- E-data memory mode allow you to enter phone numbers, passwords etc. You can even password protect this data if you like.
    -- World time mode -- 27 cities (chosen world time displayed big and bold, current time at bottom of display)
    -- 5 alarms (one snooze), which can be set to specific date AND you can add scrolling text/data at top to remind you WHY you set the alarm (love this feature). Can set four types of alarms: daily, date, one month, and monthly!
    -- 24 hour CDT with current time visible at bottom of display
    -- 24 hour Stopwatch
    -- Super bright EL in the coveted 5th G position (can set auto EL)

The watch itself is somewhat compact but looks great on the wrist. Not a huge G, but wears like a G. Some of those who own this watch have commented that it looks better in person. True. The tire-tread pattern is a nice touch, the side bumpers on the case mean business, the top and bottom bumpers effectively recess the crystal for extra protection, and the caseback receives some nice protective shielding. Strap is easy to buckle with "H" teeth.

The only cons for me are the grey plastic bits on the bezel face and especially the grey plastic circle which holds the auto EL symbol when activated. Definitely not needed, takes up valuable space. I've already considered taking the watch apart and painting the light grey bezel bits to a dark anodized color.

Three versions of this watch as below. I don't know of any other Casio models currently using this 2957 module, but I hope Casio puts it inside some nice beefy Gs. Great everyday watch for those who expect to bang their watch around on a regular basis.

Cheers

quick retaining wall repair:

on my son's wrist:

my watch, G-7600-1V

G-7600-2V blue

G-7600-9V gold
    Go Dortmund!

Re: G-7600, the perfect G-Shock? (mini-review)

Very informative review with great pictures....

In a permanent nightmare, not able to wake up from

well,

the look of this watch doesn't do it for me (it looks plain cheap to be honest) but functionwise it seems to be a winner. I recently had a similar experience with the G-7710, which is - for my taste - one of the best g-shock's I ever had and ever been made. if it had an adjustable backlight duration, current time shown in stopwatch mode and alarm settings for a specific date, I would call it a perfect digital watch.

regards, holger
    A.M. should burn in Hell

Hi Freediver,

I still haven't got this model in my collection, but I like the look. It reminds me to the classic DW-002 and DW-003. Thank you for the review!

Cheers,

Sjors

There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

One of the Best G-shock. Big clear numeral time display than most G-shock and plenty of function. Price wise is very reasonable.

I own one blue one and is my favourite sport watch,24 hours countdown. It is light and I always use it with me when playing squash.

If it could come with Tough solar so that I can abuse its auto EL. It will be perfect.

But it comes with a 5 years battery life. So its not that bad after all..
    Last edited by GMT-II; February 22nd, 2009 at 17:16.

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    well,

the look of this watch doesn't do it for me (it looks plain cheap to be honest) but functionwise it seems to be a winner. I recently had a similar experience with the G-7710, which is - for my taste - one of the best g-shock's I ever had and ever been made. if it had an adjustable backlight duration, current time shown in stopwatch mode and alarm settings for a specific date, I would call it a perfect digital watch.

regards, holger
    as noted, looks much better in the flesh. There is nothing cheap about the key features which make it a true G-Shock. And by that I mean a G-Shock that can take a pounding: The display is one of the best I've seen, the case is rock solid, the fit is great, very light on the wrist, this is a watch you never have to think about, eg, you will never say to yourself "oh man did I just scratch my crystal?" or "maybe I shouldn't wear my watch during this activity, it might get whacked." It's made to be scratched and smashed.

now, if we compare it to your module 2184 model in avatar, you get the nod for e-data functionality, the G-23XX series (I believe the metal bracelet version has different model number but same module) is unrivaled there. But you don't get current time in CDT or alarm mode and, your display is not as bright and big!
    Last edited by FreeDiver; February 22nd, 2009 at 18:02.
    Go Dortmund!

Quote Originally Posted by GMT-II View Post
    One of the Best G-shock. Big clear numeral time display than most G-shock and plenty of function. Price wise is very reasonable.

I own one blue one and is my favourite sport watch,24 hours countdown. It is light and I always use it with me when playing squash.

If it could come with Tough solar so that I can abuse its auto EL. It will be perfect.

But it comes with a 5 years battery life. So its not that bad after all..
    correct, and tough solar is another one of my pet peeves. The backlights on tough solar watches are never as bright as regular battery watches. If this watch lives long enough for a battery change, I'll change it myself, along with the o-ring gasket. Then I know it will be ready for water exposure. cheers
    Go Dortmund!

In a permanent nightmare, not able to wake up from

Quote Originally Posted by FreeDiver View Post
    now, if we compare it to your module 2184 model in avatar, you get the nod for e-data functionality, the G-23XX series (I believe the metal bracelet version has different model number but same module) is unrivaled there.
    the G-2300/2310, respectively the GL-7000RF in my avatar is certainly still one great watch, but at this time simply outdated by newer, more advanced models and modules. to be honest, I never had any use for the data function, if I want to store something, I usually do it with my cell. but I can see that it might be useful for some people.

But you don't get current time in CDT or alarm mode and, your display is not as bright and big!
    true, thats why I mentioned the G-7710. the functions are almost perfect (besides the few shortcomings mentioned above earlier), it is also very inexpensive and the timekeeping couldn't be any better (after 3,5 weeks wearing mine for 24/7, it was still spot on, down to the second compared with my atomic GW-810BXD )

regards, holger
    A.M. should burn in Hell

Well done. Thanks for sharing!

Aha!

I knew that nothing was forever, but I have to say, I was getting worried. That 1.5 years that you had that Pathfinder seemed like it was going to be forever, and I was wondering if you were going to have been the first collector in history to ultimately find satisfaction with one watch.

The 7600's definitely have a unique look to them and just like Sjors said, there's a DW-002/003 vibe that I get as well. Your pictures and review show of the watch wonderfully and it's always great to see detailed posts such as this. Thanks for sharing, and lets hope we don't have to wait another year and a half for your next review!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information