G-Shock alternative?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: G-Shock alternative?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

G-Shock alternative?

Is there another all-digital watch model that is as tough, fashionable, varied, and full-featured as the G-Shock?
    The closest I've seen are some Timex Ironman models, but they've got horrid designs. Not to mention shock resistance (and probably water resistance) is nowhere as close as any G-Shock. No Atomic Solar models, either.
    Seiko | Rolex | Tissot | Chronoswiss | Casio | Carl F. Bucherer | Citizen | Montblanc

Current Rotation:
    Rolex Submariner Ref. 6204 | Patek Philippe Calatrava 5120G | Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional 3570.50 (on OEM Velcro) | Casio G-Shock GW-5000-1JF | Royal Orient WE0011JB | Van Cleef & Arpels Pierre Arpels 42mm

Wishlist:
    Credor ​Eichi (when pigs fly) | FP Journe Chronometre Bleu (acquired) | Urban Jurgensen & Sonner Ref. 3 | D.Dornbluth & Sohn Cal. 99.5 (acquired) | Moritz Grossmann BENU Rose Gold

"Montblanc Villeret, Credor, Patek Philippe, A.Lange & Sohne -- Masters of Haute Horlogerie"

Re: G-Shock alternative?

As far as I'm concerned, G-Shocks are G-Shocks and no other watches offer the value G's do. As you mentioned Timex has a few similar models, but the designs aren't the best and shock/water resistance isn't on par with G-Shocks. You could always buy a Suunto (non solar and not atomic however) for around $300+, WR is only 30m on most models, however Suunto states you can swim and dive with it. But at that price I'd rather get a G-Shock. From Casio there's also the Protrek/Pathfinder series. The same features as a G-Shock, solar/atomic all that, pretty much the same shock resistance, most models WR at least 100m, prices range from $150 to as much as a bit more than $1000.
    Everything I'm not made me everything I am

LUW

The really hard part about your question are the words "tough" (really hard to beat a G) and "fashionable" (YMMV).
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Nope, there isnīt. But there is cool gadgets on the suunto and on the protrek with a very sharp look also.
    Name:  DSC00659.JPG
Views: 7770
Size:  345.7 KB
    mhammer8 and mcoolit23 like this.

Go Team Bravus!!

There are some that can meet one or two of those criteria, but as a "total package", G-shock is the stuff. Having said that, G's can't do EVERYTHING. Try running a few miles or swimming a few laps with one - not as pleasant as an Ironman. But then, that's what they are designed for. And Gs are the best at what they are designed for.
    LUW and kurzjak like this.
    All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

Don't need or want an alternative with the exception of the Protek maybe.

Competition brings forth innovation.

Casio monopolizing the 'digital watch' market with the G-Shocks is the reason why there are no significant new improvements/features in digital watches, imho.
    Seiko | Rolex | Tissot | Chronoswiss | Casio | Carl F. Bucherer | Citizen | Montblanc

Current Rotation:
    Rolex Submariner Ref. 6204 | Patek Philippe Calatrava 5120G | Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional 3570.50 (on OEM Velcro) | Casio G-Shock GW-5000-1JF | Royal Orient WE0011JB | Van Cleef & Arpels Pierre Arpels 42mm

Wishlist:
    Credor ​Eichi (when pigs fly) | FP Journe Chronometre Bleu (acquired) | Urban Jurgensen & Sonner Ref. 3 | D.Dornbluth & Sohn Cal. 99.5 (acquired) | Moritz Grossmann BENU Rose Gold

"Montblanc Villeret, Credor, Patek Philippe, A.Lange & Sohne -- Masters of Haute Horlogerie"

Quote Originally Posted by entropy96 View Post
    Is there another all-digital watch model that is as tough, fashionable, varied, and full-featured as the G-Shock?
    The closest I've seen are some Timex Ironman models, but they've got horrid designs. Not to mention shock resistance (and probably water resistance) is nowhere as close as any G-Shock. No Atomic Solar models, either.

- Horrid design? I don't think so
    - Shock resist? check
    - Water resist (200m)? check
    - Superior functions? check
    - Superior strap? check
    - Better price? check
    - Solar? fortunately not

cheers
    Last edited by cal..45; April 26th, 2012 at 20:43.
    xevious and mhammer8 like this.
    The big difference between an analog and a digital watch:

- An analog watch is an interpreter (about 10-11 minutes to eleven)
    - A digital watch leaves no room for interpretation but only facts (10:58:50)

analogic likes this.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post

- Horrid design? I don't think so
    - Shock resist? check
    - Water resist (200m)? check
    - Superior functions? check
    - Superior strap? check
    - Better price? check
    - Solar? fortunately not

cheers
    Not horrid, I'll give you that. Kind of meh to me though.
    Timex may have improved since I last used one, but their claims of shock resistance and water resistance were always over rated. Again, that was a while ago and maybe they are better these days.
    I do think their larger LCDs and some of the functionality is a plus.
    They look and feel cheap to me, so their pricing seems correct. This is part of why I mostly own screwback Gs though.

I will say that I wish some brand would step up and get Casio to make some better modules. They really don't seem to be getting better. In fact, from a basic usability standpoint I think almost all solar modules are worse than the basic 1545 module.
    kurzjak likes this.
    Current
    DW-8200MS "Kermit in Smoke" Frogman
    DW-8200F-4 Red Frogman
    GW-200-2 "Navy" Frogman - modded
    DW-5000SP "Bloody Project Team Tough mod"
    DW-9900 Frogman
    DW-5700 with 5600EH crystal "Screwback Eric Haze"
    GW-5000
    Beater G-3110

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information