WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

G-shock (or Any Other) With Loud Alarm

31K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  kcohS-G 
#1 ·
hi,

which g-shock(s) you think has loud alarm , so loud even wake up the dead? :rodekaart

its not necessarily has to be g-shock, can be any casio , or any other watch if you know any other, i appreciate.

;-)

#6 · (Edited)
About a year ago, I got a vibrating alarm Casio G-shock because none of the dozen or so alarm watches I had listened to were loud enough for me to hear from more than a few inches away, when my desktop computers are running. Recently, I happened to be near "The Watchmaker" store in Stoneham, Massachusetts, and browsed around. I heard the Luminox Field Chrono Alarm go off about 10 feet behind me, above the sound of a bus rumbling past the store. That pretty much sold the watch to me right then and there.

The watch is a model 1888. On the back is "Series 1880." It's on the Luminox website under "1880 1890 Field Chrono Series," and doesn't even mention the alarm. (http://luminox.800rpm.com/index.php?/site/catalog/series/1880 1890 Field Chrono Series) The 42mm version has the same functions and looks similar, but I suspect that the alarm is not as loud.

It is 47mm, thick and heavy, but I can easily read it without my glasses, even from 10 feet away... and of course in complete darkness because of the tritium markers.

It's stainless-steel, battery-powered and has a thick heavy leather band. For my skinny wrist, I need the next-to-last set of double holes to buckle the strap. But, once on, it's comfortable, and I quickly become unaware of it until that alarm fires off.

Several years ago, I got caught in an important situation at work where my battery-powered watch had died and I didn't know it. That cost me plenty on several levels. Since then, it's been strictly solar or mechanical for me. So why would I buy this battery powered watch, I asked myself... because it will tell me when the battery is running low. Instead of just stopping, the second hand will jump four seconds at a time. Well, that was my rationale for buying it, anyway.

This has become my "every day" timepiece.

Pros:
1. LOUD alarm.
2. Easy to read on a nightstand or from across the room.
3. Light green tritium on hour and minute hands and at each hour numeral, and orange tritium at "12".
4. Crisp detente on chrono and alarm pushers.
5. Two-position screw-down crown.
6. Sapphire glass crystal
7. 48-month battery life with low-battery warning.
8. Heavy duty, double eyelet leather band with roller on buckle.
9. Heavy duty steel case.
10. 100-meter water resistance.

Cons:
1. Not solar.
2. Window displays today's, yesterday's and tomorrow's date, but not day of week, month or year.
3. No automatic calendar adjustment.
4. Not "atomic" (time update receiver).

Attachments

#9 ·
The loudest alarm on any watch I've ever owned was in the watch I used while refereeing football (soccer) matches, although I'm not certain it would be loud enough to raise the dead. I don't think this particular watch is available any more.

I use a cell phone and/or a small alarm clock (Casio PQ-10) for situations which absolutely require attention.

The others are right -- the Casio watch alarms are "polite" rather than loud.

#11 ·
When I was writing my 50Gsa article on Saturday night, my GM-100 suddenly activated it's alarm. I must have put it accidentally on when demonstrating it a few days ago on school. This watch is definitely the loudest alarm I have. I do not think it will qualify for the 80dB, but the polyphone alarm is annoying enough to wake you up.

If you put on the hourly chime at night in the bedroom, it will take your girlfriend/wife/partner not long to force you to switch off the the alarm in the middle of the night.

Cheers,

Sjors

#18 ·
I have also measured my other active G's, on most of them I have the battery removed because I dont use them.

casio A168 98dB

mudman 9000 92dB

gulfman 9100 90dB

5600 87dB

MRG100 87dB

gulfman GW9100 85dB

riseman 84dB

edifice efd1000 83dB
interesting, and it shows exactly what i always say, the older casios are louder. listen to a ca53w if you have the chance. maybe it has to do with case thickness, water resistance?

#19 ·
I haven't tried my new Frogman's alarm yet.

However, my Pathfinders have always been great wake-up timepieces - plus, I love that I can set five different alarms on them at one or two minute intervals - that's not easy to sleep through.

#25 ·
I own both watches. The beeper in my GW-9110 Gulfman is much louder than the beeper in my AWG-M100A. It's a little softer than the beeper in my WS-210, which has the loudest beeper among my Casios. The GW-9110 is closer to the WS-210 than the AWG-M100A in beeper volume.

#28 ·
Of all the G-shocks I own, I can possibly list the DW-9050 as being marginally louder than others. The WS210H is louder than G shocks. And finally, my Edifice EFA-121 is the loudest of all the Casios I have owned.

But none of them could come close to the loudness of the Timex Ironman. The ironman is easily heard, even when the watch rests inside my wardrobe.

#32 ·
The GW-9110 is a solar G-Shock, and as such the alarm is a bit muted. It's not nearly as bad as the practically silent GW-M5610! The GW-9110 is almost as good as the DW-5600E. I don't think any of those would wake you. Only a very select few human beings with very sensitive hearing can be awakened by these watches.

My best G-Shock for alarm tone loudness is still the G-3000. Next in line is the DW-5000D or DW-5700D.

For CASIO non-GShock, the SGW-200 is very loud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.